joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Storm 1/6 - 1/8, 2017

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, SN_Lover said:

Par personal experience, you never want to be a "jackpot" zone 48 hours before a event. 

Usually, but the incredible consistency of the GFS lends me to believe it more than in other situations. BTW, I am not going for 4" here, playing a more conservative 1-4 for the Metro. I would love to bust on the low side though.....

1 minute ago, SnowDeac said:

You keep posting negative stuff like this. Also, I think people are overusing the "jackpot" term pretty badly. I certainly wouldn't call 4-5 inches of snow (while still great) a jackpot, when a model shows other areas (ENC) receiving 9-10+.

4-6" is a  "jackpot" for here, only snowed that much 3-4 times in my 35 years here.

10 minutes ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

That's kind of a funky looking map in GA. It shows much more snow in Atlanta than it does for areas to the west and to the east. I even get less snow than ATL.

I never like using snow maps unless its an all snow situation with temps in the 20s, otherwise in borderline scenarios the model tries to account for literal surface temps.  If it thinks its 33 it does not show accumulation

If we can get some of that convective action going FFC was talking about earlier I think we might see more than 1-3 inches Ive been thinking. Im trying not to get into Weenie mode. Looks like the GFS is a bit juicier than the last few runs this time around. Hoping this trend continues and we can get just a bit stronger L developing a tad sooner as it slides south of us. Would also like to see a bit stronger Jet above us here for the event.

12 minutes ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

That's kind of a funky looking map in GA. It shows much more snow in Atlanta than it does for areas to the west and to the east. I even get less snow than ATL.

As you well know it is weather.  North is not an automatic win for more snow, look at January 1973 in Atlanta..

1 minute ago, farleydawg79 said:

Some areas of EGA are getting the finger compared to the 12z run.  Had much more accumulation filled in. 

It appears to me that the lee trough is shown a bit more robust on this run. Which would likely create a stout warm nose in that area, cutting down on totals.

7 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I never like using snow maps unless its an all snow situation with temps in the 20s, otherwise in borderline scenarios the model tries to account for literal surface temps.  If it thinks its 33 it does not show accumulation

FWIW, on the Pivotal Weather maps, we're showing an estimate of how much snow falls -- not necessarily how much accumulates on the ground ("Accumulated Snow" in the plot title refers to accumulation over a period of time).

However, I will say that with any of the NCEP models, there is no perfect way to estimate snowfall using just the data files available to the public (i.e., the data files used by popular model graphic sites like ours). Different producers of graphics may choose to approach snowfall estimates in slightly different ways, but they're all at least somewhat flawed, because we aren't being given precise data about how much QPF falls "as snow." The Canadian models, on the other hand, give us this information and allow us to produce much better snowfall maps.

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived