Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 29th Storm Obs

HIPPYVALLEY

2 minutes ago, wxmanmitch said:

Not doing much of anything right now after a nice burst deposited around 1"-1.5", but there are good echoes W and S of me, so hopefully we'll get going again. Temp up to 32.5°F thanks to a SE wind and downsloping.

Although I don't think downslope will play a big role with regards to QPF, it will act to warm my BL temps enough to reduce ratios. 4-6" should about it here I think...as this thing will end around 00z locally. 

That was a nice batch you were under--the same one that ran through here.  Hopefully we can get a few more of those before this thing's done.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

That sucks.  Perhaps we should reopen the snow-tire discussion:) I was a little wary of all the CT/NY'ers heading to Mount Snow this morning.,

Lol, I think we had enough on the subject--we know where the respective parties stand. He was from NJ, I will be shocked if he makes it there.

Don't have 1/4 mile marker, but pretty close to some S+ out there now

2 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Lol, I think we had enough on the subject--we know where the respective parties stand. He was from NJ, I will be shocked if he makes it there.

Don't have 1/4 mile marker, but pretty close to some S+ out there now

Nice.  I'm (im)patiently waiting for this clear radar to fill in.

1 minute ago, moneypitmike said:

That was a nice batch you were under--the same one that ran through here.  Hopefully we can get a few more of those before this thing's done.

Yeah, we will. Best of storm is probably from 2 PM to 7 PM here, maybe an hour or so later for you. I'd much rather be in your location or my VT property for this. You should get a nice 8"-9" or so, maybe 12" up above 2K in S VT.

3 minutes ago, wxmanmitch said:

Yeah, we will. Best of storm is probably from 2 PM to 7 PM here, maybe an hour or so later for you. I'd much rather be in your location or my VT property for this. You should get a nice 8"-9" or so, maybe 12" up above 2K in S VT.

I'm cautious with the idea of 8+ given the anticipated ratios.  My cautious grows now that I've seen my temp has now climbed to 26.9*

1 minute ago, moneypitmike said:

I'm cautious with the idea of 8+ given the anticipated ratios.  My cautious grows now that I've seen my temp has now climbed to 26.9*

You'll be fine. I don't think you'll reach freezing. Even if on the off chance you did, the warmth is all in the low levels, so it will still snow even if it's 33-34° F. 

Snow beginning to increase a bit here now. 33.1° F.

Hi all! My wife,  9 year old son, and I are currently driving through CT. on our way towards a hotel we have reserved overnight in Wolfeboro, NH.   I will spend the upcoming night chasing the best banding,  and hopefully thundersnow, in any areas within a 50 mile radius.   

Hope we all do well and stay safe!  

8 minutes ago, wxmanmitch said:

You'll be fine. I don't think you'll reach freezing. Even if on the off chance you did, the warmth is all in the low levels, so it will still snow even if it's 33-34° F. 

Snow beginning to increase a bit here now. 33.1° F.

I'm not that concerned about mixing, just low ratios in general.

Snow's now picked up here quite a bit, too.  Guessing vis down to about 1/2 mile or so.  Decent flakes.

Quick jump to 27.3*.

5 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

I'm not that concerned about mixing, just low ratios in general.

Snow's now picked up here quite a bit, too.  Guessing vis down to about 1/2 mile or so.  Decent flakes.

Quick jump to 27.3*.

Stop worrying Eeyore. Your ratios will be fine.

3 minutes ago, ncforecaster89 said:

Hi all! My wife,  9 year old son, and I are currently driving through CT. on our way towards a hotel we have reserved overnight in Wolfeboro, NH.   I will spend the upcoming night chasing the best banding,  and hopefully thundersnow, in any areas within a 50 mile radius.   

Hope we all do well and stay safe!  

Nice. My guess is you will prob be in a pretty good spot...maybe have to chase a bit east up toward IZG (Freyberg ME) for most intense bands of the slight east bump is real. 

2 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

I'm glad to hear you say that.  The BOX AFD was talking 7-8:1.  I hope you can get out an enjoy the blitz.

Eh. I agree with Mitch that you will be lucky to hit freezing based on how your area runs. 7-8:1 is for the slop areas that are dealing with the 32.5-34F +SN. I'm more worried about the ticks east and the best dynamics sliding to my east through Maine. 

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Eh. I agree with Mitch that you will be lucky to hit freezing based on how your area runs. 7-8:1 is for the slop areas that are dealing with the 32.5-34F +SN. I'm more worried about the ticks east and the best dynamics sliding to my east through Maine. 

This.  A reasonable ratio on a crap qpf = meh snow.

SN, good flakes.

27.6*

Archived