Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

6 minutes ago, WidreMann said:

At this point, I just want to see a flurry. It's early December after a warm year. My expectations are low.

Would be a shame to go through this chilly period that's been so heavily advertised with nary a token flake. As a classmate pointed out, the new EPS is a relatively *great* look for the MA and NE. It's probably in our best interest to establish a snow pack there so that the next push of cold air in this pattern doesn't get modified as quickly. 

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, NC_hailstorm said:

Ukie is also pushing precip much further inland starting at hour 114 through 138.

Close to the Euro and EPS.

Yep, and much much slower then the GFS and even the Euro.  The EPS has been trending slower each run though. HP settling in over the east before low pressure moves in.

GFS is a full 24 hours slower.  EPS is in the middle.

ukmet_mslp_conus_120.png

ukmet_mslp_conus_138.png

Got to be realistic fellas, snow outside the mtns this time of year, though possible, is very unlikely. I hope no one is getting their hopes up too high. I'm just hoping we get colder, the 60s-70s we've had the last couple weeks are old. Nov ended up above normal for GSP and Dec starting way above. Need that pattern change to actually happen, seems like it's always 6-10 days out.

12 minutes ago, DopplerWx said:

gfs showing a mix for sc/nc friday this run.  still think temps will be too warm and refuse to get my hopes up unless i see it falling from the sky.

Yep...height of precip and middle of the day.  Need this falling after midnight to have any shot of token flakes.  Then again, we will be asleep and wont see it anyways....

Look at that gradient...would think warm waters really could ramp up.

gfs_T2m_seus_21.png

20 minutes ago, Iceagewhereartthou said:

Got to be realistic fellas, snow outside the mtns this time of year, though possible, is very unlikely. I hope no one is getting their hopes up too high. I'm just hoping we get colder, the 60s-70s we've had the last couple weeks are old. Nov ended up above normal for GSP and Dec starting way above. Need that pattern change to actually happen, seems like it's always 6-10 days out.

Man I’ll tell you. I am in a freaking rock and a hard place between here and the MA thread. No coverage at all for SW VA folks. I do agree tho anywhere south of I-40 you would need some darn good rates. Meanwhile, I’ve been pretty darn cold up here maybe the last 7 days during the nighttime hours. I truly believe the gfs will continue to take baby steps toward the Euro and the h5 look will continue to progress in a positive fashion, which naturally in turn will allow some folks to cash in. 

4 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

For what it's worth, the NAM is a little colder with the initial push of low level cold than the GFS. As we discussed last year, the NAM can be looked at as a viable option for hour 84. 

If we can have a cold/cloudless Thursday night/Friday morning, then build in the clouds and precip, I feel good someone on the northern/western fringe of the precip shield could get a nice surprise.

1 minute ago, JoshM said:

If we can have a cold/cloudless Thursday night/Friday morning, then build in the clouds and precip, I feel good someone on the northern/western fringe of the precip shield could get a nice surprise.

Yep, as others have stated not going to get excited (for anybody) until the low level temps get modeled colder. All we can do is hope and wait for the next runs. 

On another note; the models continue to stink. The LR depiction on the 18z GFS is totally different than the 12z. The latest run would have a SE ridge pushing us into 70s by day 15. Very la nina like...

44 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

Yep, as others have stated not going to get excited (for anybody) until the low level temps get modeled colder. All we can do is hope and wait for the next runs. 

On another note; the models continue to stink. The LR depiction on the 18z GFS is totally different than the 12z. The latest run would have a SE ridge pushing us into 70s by day 15. Very la nina like...

Can't have sustained cold forever! If we don't score before Christmas, I think we won't score at all! 

2 hours ago, Buddy1987 said:

Man I’ll tell you. I am in a freaking rock and a hard place between here and the MA thread. No coverage at all for SW VA folks. I do agree tho anywhere south of I-40 you would need some darn good rates. Meanwhile, I’ve been pretty darn cold up here maybe the last 7 days during the nighttime hours. I truly believe the gfs will continue to take baby steps toward the Euro and the h5 look will continue to progress in a positive fashion, which naturally in turn will allow some folks to cash in. 

(Off Topic) Those who live in SWVA have to pick whichever forum region they are closest to. A good solution would be to divide the Tennessee Valley and Southeast forums along the Eastern Continental Divide. The Mid-Atlantic and Southeast forums could be divided along the James River.

Archived