Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Blue_Ridge_Escarpment said:

I like Brad but he will not mention snow until it's falling and has to play catch up in a hurry 

lol that is the way to approach it in our area.  how many storms have the models shown 24hrs out only for it to bust? when temps are marginal on the models you better believe it is smart to err on the side of caution. anyone hoping for anything noteworthy from this weekend is going to be disappointed outside of the mountains. like brad said, the real snow chances come later in the month with this pattern.

Just now, DopplerWx said:

lol that is the way to approach it in our area.  how many storms have the models shown 24hrs out only for it to bust? when temps are marginal on the models you better believe it is smart to err on the side of caution. anyone hoping for anything noteworthy from this weekend is going to be disappointed outside of the mountains. like brad said, the real snow chances come later in the month with this pattern.

The problem is going to the moisture on the NW side. If the moisture makes it back to 77 or west it will definitely be snow. This may be a case where the NW piedmont does better than the mtns due to lack of moisture being slung back that far west. 

9 minutes ago, PackGrad05 said:

I do appreciate Brad's analysis though.  I like his insight and interpretation of models.

I like Brad as well. However, his explanation of cold chasing the moisture is not the case on this event. The cold will be already established. Only problem with this one is low-level temps and precipitation shield extent.

1 minute ago, SimeonNC said:

We all know that it's going to jog northwest, not to mention the models problems with precip extent and intensity.  Right now this is where we should want to be

If that is true, we should start seeing it on the next couple of runs. The fact that it has trended farther away is concerning.

Man, the more detailed maps come out later, but the UKMet looks more like the CMC.  Both of those are digging the northern stream wave more SW than the GFS, into New Mexico and picking up more of the energy hanging around there across northern Mexico...but UKMet shows a nice wave that slowly comes out with sfc low off the SE coast.

6 minutes ago, CAD_Wedge_NC said:

If that is true, we should start seeing it on the next couple of runs. The fact that it has trended farther away is concerning.

GFS was more suppressed while CMC more amped with 1-3" of snow from RDU and west. All depends on how much energy is picked up by the shortwave. My money would be on the Euro/CMC/UK over the GFS. The GFS has been pretty bad since the upgrade, it was abysmal during hurricane season.

Just now, CADEffect said:

Is it concerning to you guys the NAM is not showing any frozen precipitation? or is it in your view to far out?

We aren't in range of the NAM showing the QPF yet but looking at 700mb moisture maps, it is more in line with the CMC/Euro idea and not the suppressed GFS, FWIW.

19 minutes ago, SimeonNC said:

We all know that it's going to jog northwest, not to mention the models problems with precip extent and intensity.  Right now this is where we should want to be

I'm not so sure it will jog northwest to me it seems as though the conditions won't be favorable for much more than some token flakes for the Piedmont. Anything more is a big win for you folks.  Earlier I had been considering the possibility of the precipitation shield reaching all the way where I am as well as western NC but the GFS has seemingly backed off on the 6z and 12z runs. Looking at the Euro ensemble members from last night which were posted the possibility of the cold and moisture aligning seemed likely in the Piedmont though. Until the euro has had a say I will not write it off though. Should everything go south or in this case east I believe there will be plenty more opportunities in the upcoming pattern.

Archived