Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Model Mayhem!

SR Airglow

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

There is some ensemble support, but I'm not on board right now for much even here. It's early and things can change though.

It's early but certainly not too early to draw conclusions for New England. I feel like I've seen this setup too many times to get hooked in again. 

We're going to need a really strong shortwave across the plains around day 3 to give anyone in the northeast a shot at measurable snow. I'm not seeing any evidence of this on the ensembles. This setup is interesting for the Carolinas up to Delaware imo. 

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

It's early but certainly not too early to draw conclusions for New England. I feel like I've seen this setup too many times to get hooked in again. 

We're going to need a really strong shortwave across the plains around day 3 to give anyone in the northeast a shot at measurable snow. I'm not seeing any evidence of this on the ensembles. This setup is interesting for the Carolinas up to Delaware imo. 

I thought are chances look better this month? yes /no?

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

There is a decent s/w and the propensity for a SE ridge. I certainly would not rule out a lgt-mdt event now in eastern areas...but the usual caveats apply.  As usual, just hold hopes in check this far out.

Yup with the SE ridge there flow is buckled enough for 3-6 from NYC - BOS with 1-3 back to ALB

3 minutes ago, db306 said:

Quick question....whats the GFS Para?

GFS Parallel, it is another, newer, version of the GFS that is run along side the regular GFS (why it is called parallel). It is essentially a beta version being run with the aim of *possibly* replacing the current GFS. Euro is known to do this as well.

Ah I didn't notice the second wave around hr 144--that one is still very much game on. 

My comments regarding a miss for up here was with respect to the first wave around day 4.

I apologize for the confusion.

As an aside, I think the first wave missing well to the south is actually a good table setter for the second shortwave.

22 minutes ago, Hazey said:

Best setup for a eastcoast storm this season in my opinion. Then the window might shatter later and be back to ho hum deal.

2nd wave had a better chance than the 1st wave. More separation will pump the east coast ridge.  With a pna spike, that should help the storm gain latitude. The problem could be the confluence but I don't see that happening. Fun times ahead.

15 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Looking at that setup on EPS longer range..if the PNA does indeed rise and NAO stays slightly negative to neutral like it wants to...that SE ridge should get squashed and that big ridge you see on the EPS will likely get squashed as we get closer

I disagree. It's definitely going to be riding the line. 

8 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Ah I didn't notice the second wave around hr 144--that one is still very much game on. 

My comments regarding a miss for up here was with respect to the first wave around day 4.

I apologize for the confusion.

As an aside, I think the first wave missing well to the south is actually a good table setter for the second shortwave.

Ahh ok. Yeah that second one is what I mean. 

19 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Well we rode it in Dec and did ok. Another month in should yield even better results. Certainly nothing there warranting these melts 

We have lowering heights in AK so we will fight ridging in the east.  I'm hoping it's just a normal relaxation but I'm not sure what happens later in month. Perhaps we have just enough action to keep it interesting. I don't know other than lets just get through  the next 5-7 days and see what happens. The good news is that as modeled, it could be serviceable with latitude. Hopefully that means SNE too. 

13 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

We have lowering heights in AK so we will fight ridging in the east.  I'm hoping it's just a normal relaxation but I'm not sure what happens later in month. Perhaps we have just enough action to keep it interesting. I don't know other than lets just get through  the next 5-7 days and see what happens. The good news is that as modeled, it could be serviceable with latitude. Hopefully that means SNE too. 

Very well put.  Excellent synopsis.  

I just love the way some just assume that the past month worked out decently, that it automatically means the next month will do the same.  You can plainly see the brainwash/convincing techniques at work to ease the angst they are feeling.    If that 11-15 period keeps looking not so good...the melt will come soon enough from that person...for now they are in the "convincing themselves mode" so to speak..it's comical!!   

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

...you see ...that's just it: I don't think the standard mass-field correlations apply very well these days?   

there's something's strange going on in the deep south. It extends across the expanse of the subtropical Pacific ..through old Mexico and all the way to Africa. It's basically an unusually tall heights medium still, pretty much everywhere along and S of the ~ 30th parallel. trough depths are higher relative to normal, and ridge nodes?  forget it!  like 590 height cores? good luck...

It's skewing and f'ing things up everywhere. standard correlations are stressed. ...such that yeah, we'd expect lowering heights in AK to elevate heights, transitively, ...down stream over the U.S. but, it seems that the heights would be high-ish regardless? 

It's certainly like that in the deep south. It may not obviously show up on anomaly products ...but that's probably because the intervals are just set to small... We're only talking 3 to 7 dm but systemically that subtlety has a bigger implication.  It's really contributing to why the flow continues to have so many height contours and thus necessarily screaming mid level wind fields everywhere. 

There are two schools for how to get the flow to relax enough so that critical ratios of wave speeding vs nested anomalies don't negatively interfere: one is... lessen the cold pressing (hemispheric) south from the pole (unrealistic in January); the other, erode the heights in the subtropics. 

You know what's funny... as a weird sort of homage to interminable summer at southern latitudes the Euro's 00z operational run spins up a suspiciously looking warm core cyclone entity east of the Bahamas in the fantasy leagues? 

Well...in any event, it can still snow along the 40th parallel.  We are still more likely to get faster translating midland scaled events than meridional curvilinear wonder bombs then not.  It doesn't mean the latter can't happen, again... balancing likelihoods is the name of the game. We do so by employing two tenets ...which of course can be broken down further into subclass disciplines... but those are Education and Experience.  They don't always agree, but using things like teleconnector and analogs can help smooth things out when they argue.

One such argument is that D6-8 GFS from 00z ... I have thoughts on that but this post is too long already -

12 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Meanwhile while all you guys are focusing on events further out I'm watching later tomorrow for up here.  To my untrained eye the 12Z NAM now has a totally frozen event for NNE.  Even more snow than anything.  Am I missing something?

I don't see any snow near us unless you're way up north...and even north of BML it's a little marginal. The low levels keep trending colder, but there's a warm nose up there centered at 800mb. It's relatively warm right up through the cloud tops so there may be nucleation issues at times too. You could have a decent period of glazing at your elevation though. 

Just now, dendrite said:

I don't see any snow near us unless you're way up north...and even north of BML it's a littler marginal. The low levels keep trending colder, but there's a warm nose up there centered at 800mb. It's relatively warm right up through the cloud tops so there may be nucleation issues at times too. You could have a decent period of glazing at your elevation though. 

I pulled up the LEB sounding off that run and that 1000'-1500' layer stays pretty cold. Like you said with his elevation he may get a decent glaze

Archived