Newest Member
    joxey
Model Mayhem!

SR Airglow

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, wx2fish said:

I pulled up the LEB sounding off that run and that 1000'-1500' layer stays pretty cold. Like you said with his elevation he may get a decent glaze

I'm thinking it may be pretty icy even down to here Wed morning. If that secondary can keep advecting in some low level cold out of Maine we could offset some of the latent heating. It's already progged to be about 32-34F as it is. Factor in the typical CAD overperformance and a little extra oomph from the NE flow and maybe it verifies more toward 30-32F. The only thing really against that is that the airmass in Maine isn't exceptionally cold and dry. Looks like the GFS rots me at 33F most of the night and then clears us out at sunrise for some black ice. Either way it could be a slippery commute on the back roads.

I think we get a solid cold and probably reasonably snowy week before things lift out and we ride the line wth at least one snow eating cutter but as scooter has noted, there appears to be a fairly quick reload limiting our time on the line.   1/11-16 looks potentially back and forth but 1/5-11 looks solid.

6 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I'm thinking it may be pretty icy even down to here Wed morning. If that secondary can keep advecting in some low level cold out of Maine we could offset some of the latent heating. It's already progged to be about 32-34F as it is. Factor in the typical CAD overperformance and a little extra oomph from the NE flow and maybe it verifies more toward 30-32F. The only thing really against that is that the airmass in Maine isn't exceptionally cold and dry. Looks like the GFS rots me at 33F most of the night and then clears us out at sunrise for some black ice. Either way it could be a slippery commute on the back roads.

Definitely looks icy for a time there I think. Been trending colder too. If the airmass was a hair colder you'd be getting a pretty good thump. Soundings were closer than I thought, pretty stout CAD right through 850. Stubborn warm tongue above though

35 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

John, funny....you hadn't mentioned that gradient yet..

I did actually, though -

if you get it conceptually,

".. It's really contributing to why the flow continues to have so many height contours and thus necessarily screaming mid level wind fields everywhere.  .."

means the same thing :)

the two parameters are 1::1 correlated...   increased gradient always means increased velocities - that cannot be physically disassociated

lol...2 different discussions.  SNE looking way down the road and I'm looking at tomorrow evening and my ride back from Boston up here on steep dirt roads.  GFS again looks colder to me.  Like the trend as long as qpf holds off to early evening..

Good luck to you guys down south for later in the week....

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I did actually, though -

if you get it conceptually,

".. It's really contributing to why the flow continues to have so many height contours and thus necessarily screaming mid level wind fields everywhere.  .."

means the same thing :)

the two parameters are 1::1 correlated...   increased gradient always means increased velocities - that cannot be physically disassociated

If you get it conceptually, you would have sensed that the statement was bathed in sarcasm. :lol:

jk John....happy new year.

it's frustrating. it's driving one to distraction ... like, i almost feel these limiting factors that are related to the hyper compression of the flow are in fact so limiting as to render ... all these posts flirting with the epitome of futility -

it just seems like nothing's going to happen and we can sum up all energy in even doing this weather social media thing as waste until this prick tease modeled fantasy stops - and it won't happen until the flow relaxes.

i'm not willing to be nearly so arrogant - like I said; just frustrating. i am however highly confident that a goodly percentage of storm potential (and the usefulness of our posts), perhaps the top half of it, keeps getting lopped off like stealthy maneuver by a Samurai warrior. yet, we don't learn not to engage in that fight - next model run... rinse repeat.  

oh i'm sure the 12z Euro do out here soon will go out of its way to bury this sentiment under "qualified hope" - 

Archived