Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November 2016 General Discussion

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It reached 70ºF (21ºC) here today which has to be one of the warmest for so late days I can remember. There was another extreme warm day either in 2012 or 2013 where it was about 17ºC about this time. Obviously I wish every November day was like this. Still have leaves on some trees which is remarkable.

5 hours ago, ConfusedKitten said:

We hit 65 in London today with clear skies and light winds, not quite as high as I was hoping but we still broke the record by a degree. I'm putting my bike in storage now so I have room in the garage, didn't think my last ride of the year would be in t-shirt and shorts :lol:.

Same, rode the bike in shorts and a t-shirt. I guess I can check that off now for things I haven't done in mid-November before. 16 years ago there was 50 cm of snow with drifts higher than that about now. I took the bike out during each anomalous day thinking it was the last of the year and turns out there is a new warm day every 2 weeks or so! Maybe on Christmas Day I will take it out once more...

12 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Great picture. Topped out at 70 here today, went for a 3 mile walk with the wife after work. Going to miss the nice weather.

Thanks. DTW hit 73 breaking the record by 4F, though it was not the latest 70 on record. It was technically the latest 73 on record lol. My two work bffs and I went for a walk on lunch at our favorite park and while it wasn't hot out, walking up and down some hilly trails and wearing a turtleneck I was actually a bit warm.

I won't miss the weather as I'm ready for snow, but I also don't have the impatience for snow I had years ago. It will be snowing off and on for the next 5-6 months, winter is on its way, no need to be impatient because I don't see mounds of snow in November! If we get our first flakes today, it will still only be 6 months from last flake of 2015-16 (May 15th) to first flakes of 2016-17. Had we received flurries in mid-late October like we had the previous 4 October's, it would only be 5 months between snow seasons!

13 minutes ago, Willh said:

Was just outside a bit. No way to judge how much snow has fallen. I would guess 2-3 inches? It's drifting everywhere. Not coming down too heavily but the wind is insane out there. I can hear it rushing against the walls.

I'll get pics when the sun comes up.

I understand trying to measure snow with such strong winds. There's a science (maybe even voodoo) to it. But while typing this, I realized that who's going to squabble over an inch or two, because soon you will be measuring in feet!

20 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

I understand trying to measure snow with such strong winds. There's a science (maybe even voodoo) to it. But while typing this, I realized that who's going to squabble over an inch or two, because soon you will be measuring in feet!

Its more of a skill than a science Id say. Careful estimation is the key. And in super wind blown snow a snowboard is useless.

48 minutes ago, Willh said:

Was just outside a bit. No way to judge how much snow has fallen. I would guess 2-3 inches? It's drifting everywhere. Not coming down too heavily but the wind is insane out there. I can hear it rushing against the walls.

I'll get pics when the sun comes up.

Snow change over was around 230 here. Temp down to 23 already with a windchill of 8. Main band from lake nipigon has set up just east of here along the immediate shore. 1-2" has fallen so far.... wind the big story. Nice to see it white again.

It's really rocking out there. Power continues to flicker but holding on. Snow has also increased in intensity the past hour. Saw a report from granite island, 10 miles n of Marquette of sustained wind at 56, gusting to 64 and a nearby bouy with waves of 17-21'. Heading out to play.

highest gust at my house 52mph

1 hour ago, weatherbo said:

It's really rocking out there. Power continues to flicker but holding on. Snow has also increased in intensity the past hour. Saw a report from granite island, 10 miles n of Marquette of sustained wind at 56, gusting to 64 and a nearby bouy with waves of 17-21'. Heading out to play.

highest gust at my house 52mph

That is awesome, go grab some pics of that!

5 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Thanks. DTW hit 73 breaking the record by 4F, though it was not the latest 70 on record. It was technically the latest 73 on record lol. My two work bffs and I went for a walk on lunch at our favorite park and while it wasn't hot out, walking up and down some hilly trails and wearing a turtleneck I was actually a bit warm.

I won't miss the weather as I'm ready for snow, but I also don't have the impatience for snow I had years ago. It will be snowing off and on for the next 5-6 months, winter is on its way, no need to be impatient because I don't see mounds of snow in November! If we get our first flakes today, it will still only be 6 months from last flake of 2015-16 (May 15th) to first flakes of 2016-17. Had we received flurries in mid-late October like we had the previous 4 October's, it would only be 5 months between snow seasons!

Yeah I hear you, I go for walks nearly everyday with the wife as is our tradition after work. We are going to replace that with cross country skiing this year if the weather will cooperate.

8 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Wasn't awake to see it but had the first flakes of the season here based on obs.

Yeah, I had some graupel earlier around 2AM I believe, might have even been wet flakes mixed in there as well. CMI recorded some gusts around 50MPh this morning. Those winds were cranking. It is way behind, but the trees are finally almost stripped completely bare. 

Archived