Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November 2016 General Discussion

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was pretty excited watching the GOES-R launch earlier tonight.  Gonna be extremely awesome using this in coming years.  

Found some sat loops that will sort of give you an idea of what the new GOES-R (soon to be renamed GOES-16) will look like.  These loops are from the GOES-14 that ran some rapid-scans during a few brief periods earlier this year.  Keep in mind that the images from the new sat will be up to 4X higher resolution than these rapid-scan GOES-14 images.  So you can imagine how awesome it will be considering how awesome these GOES-14 rapid-scan loops are.  

EDIT:  Forgot to mention the loops below in "rapid-scan" are only at 1 minute intervals.  The new satellite will be capable of 30 second intervals, plus the 4X higher resolution!

http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/goes/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/1000x1000_AGOES14_B1_MSN_SNOW_animated_2016033_134500_182_2016033_220500_182_X.mp4

http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/goes/srsor2016/900x1200_AGOES14_OTHER_B1_ND_SD_MN_CLOUDS_SNOW_animated_2016050_191500_182_2016050_221500_182_X.mp4

http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/data/1min/index.php?action=view_animation&req_method=nframes_enddate&enddate=20160819&endtime=2100&nframes=30&band=1&res=1&aniwidth=900&aniheight=550

http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/goes/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/800x1100_AGOES14_OTHER_B1_GL_LES_animated_2016041_133000_182_2016041_223000_182_EB_TSTORM.mp4

I'm receiving my first accumulating snow of the season since the changeover around mid-afternoon yesterday. I will probably get into the squalls. I checked outside and the roads were just wet with some splotches of snow starting to accumulate but then a few mins later I checked again and nearly the whole road is now covered. Temperatures must be dropping faster.

Here in my yard the current temperature is 32° with lots of clouds and some very light snow still falling. Not as much snow here as there is in Norther lower Michigan nor the UP. Most of the heaver snow amounts to the north were away from the lake shore and the higher the elevation 

Here is a little weather history for today in south central lower Michigan

November 20

1869: More than a foot of snow fell at Lansing, setting a record for the most ever recorded during the month of November.

2000: An intense lake effect snow squall dropped almost a foot of snow on Grand Rapids, setting a record for the most snow in a November day there. 

I will toss up these tidbits from the past 

2 hours ago, hawkeye_wx said:

First time below 30 here this morning, bottomed out at 20 in town.  The airport hit 17.

20 here as well.  Coldest of season so far.  Still 31 as approach noon, so we've been below freezing for almost 18hrs.  9 days ago we were still awaiting our first freeze, so this is a big change.  

21 minutes ago, blizzardof96 said:

The strong Huron band looks to be making a move for West London. Things could get interesting this afternoon before it shifts back west tonight.

Latest HRRR looking interesting for Toronto. It shows over 2" of snow from the Georgian Bay band this afternoon into tonight.

4 minutes ago, Toronto4 said:

Latest HRRR looking interesting for Toronto. It shows over 2" of snow from the Georgian Bay band this afternoon into tonight.

Its been showing that for several runs now. Definitely possible although these bands are so localized its very tough to forecast especially off GB.

1 hour ago, josh_4184 said:

Ended up with about 9" average some areas more some areas less, not to bad for the first decent snow event of the year. Bad time for my snowblower to act up as well. 

What was the snow ratios there?  The first several inches here was grainy, and then it fluffed up during the night which allowed it to really pile up.  I recorded only .32 liquid. Don't you have a plow as well?

Not nearly enough snow to shoe yet, so I  hiked to my bait pile on the back edge of my property to check the cam.  Here's a shot going up the trail behind my house... Also the high point on my property (1610').  As nice as Summer is, nothing is better than a Winter day!

IMG_0683.JPG

4 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

What was the snow ratios there?  The first several inches here was grainy, and then it fluffed up during the night which allowed it to really pile up.  I recorded only .32 liquid. Don't you have a plow as well?

Not nearly enough snow to shoe yet, so I  hiked to my bait pile on the back edge of my property to check the cam.  Here's a shot going up the trail behind my house... Also the high point on my property (1610').  As nice as Summer is, nothing is better than a Winter day!

Snow ratios were pretty high, I would guess over 20:1. I don't have a plow yet, was planning on buying a Polaris Ranger 1000 w/ Boss plow but that has been pushed out another year. I do have a plow truck I hire per push but gets pricey especially if we get an average to above average snow season. 

Well today has been pretty disappointing, the main band set up to our west like the high res models predicted and we've only had light flurries after the ~1.5 inches we got last night. The snow band has finally shifted back east but it has weakened a lot so I don't know if we'll see much accumulation tonight. I haven't seen any reports out of Strathroy but I'm guessing they got hammered since the OPP was telling people to stay off 402.

3 hours ago, ConfusedKitten said:

Well today has been pretty disappointing, the main band set up to our west like the high res models predicted and we've only had light flurries after the ~1.5 inches we got last night. The snow band has finally shifted back east but it has weakened a lot so I don't know if we'll see much accumulation tonight. I haven't seen any reports out of Strathroy but I'm guessing they got hammered since the OPP was telling people to stay off 402.

The Strathroy-Mt Brydges corridor has been the jackpot area thus far. 

Been seeing on and off light snow for most of the day, with light accumulations around 0.3". The 23z HRRR has localized accumulations of 2-3" for those around 400/7, so we'll see how that plays out. I'd go for around 1-1.5" if the band maintains its strength through the night. 

1 hour ago, Spartman said:

Rain and snow mix yesterday, suicide weather consisting of only wall-to-wall overcast skies and temperatures stuck in the low to mid-30s today. Just as I thought, the first crappy weekend of the season.

Ain't that the truth. Its I-never-want-to-get-out-of-bed weather. Very dark overcast, howling winds, feeling cold all the time: awful.

1.75 inches here. Brilliant snowsqualls nowhere in sight, not surprised.

Picked up about 1.0" over the weekend. Lake effect mostly. Depth never really exceeded more tha. Half an inch and the snow has mostly evaporated by this morning but it was nice tobhave flakes flying for a good portion of the weekend, including during the Santa Clause parade. 

Didnt see any report for much more than 2-3" around southern Ontario despite the predictions that there could be some intense snow bands with Lake Huron running so warm. 

Yesterdays high of 32° here at GRR was the coldest high since March 3rd and the 0.8" of snow was the most snow for here since April 4th when 5.4" fell. 

Here is some weather history extremes for Thanksgiving day in west and central Michigan 

http://www.weather.gov/grr/news20161120

At this time it dont look like this year will add to the list.

Archived