November 2016 Pattern Discussion

dmillz25

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

PB disappeared unfortunately 

Hey Kev,  I was only N days 1 thru 10 .The GFS ensembles agree with N ish 

I posted last week that the 1st start was a false one and that I thought the 15th thru the 25th would be BN.

That doesn't look good . But should I thow Dec and Jan away on November 8th ? 

I don't take a seasons temp 6 weeks before it's start.

2 minutes ago, PB GFI said:

Hey Kev,  I was only N days 1 thru 10 .The GFS ensembles agree

I posted last week that the 1st start was a false one and that I thought the 15th thru the 25th would be BN.

That doesn't look good . But should I thow Dec and Jan away on November 8th.

I hear you.. but man have things taken an ugly turn for any cooling this month . Looks like Tgiving dinners are moving outside this year as families slap on sunscreen instead of sweaters 

5 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I hear you.. but man have things taken an ugly turn for any cooling this month . Looks like Tgiving dinners are moving outside this year as families slap on sunscreen instead of sweaters 

Yeh guidance aside it's a stumble out of the gate in days 10 thru 25 .

I own that .

I am still cold in Dec/Jan  , luckily it's only Nov 8th and I think this gets straightened out .

9 minutes ago, uncle W said:

1966 which is on my analog list had a mild Thanksgiving...A very mild first week of December before the pattern changed for the better...to get a cold December the arctic oscillation must be negative...very few cold Decembers had a positive AO...

Delayed but not denied is what that sounds like

Honestly, I like to use December 10th as a target date. If we are not seeing substantial changes taking place in the pattern at that point then it may be time to start becoming concerned about a dud winter. This obviously does not always apply but may be a good target date to look at for this winter especially since the consensus seems to be for an early start to winter this year versus last winter.

1 hour ago, PB GFI said:

Yeh guidance aside it's a stumble out of the gate in days 10 thru 25 .

I own that .

I am still cold in Dec/Jan  , luckily it's only Nov 8th and I think this gets straightened out .

November is on track for my +2 to +4 forecasted last month, early look on December is same as Nov +2 to +4 we are actually in a very stable wave pattern with all the cold air locked on the other side of the globe.  Don't expect any negative NAO to help us as blocking will be overmodeled in the long range.  I also like a negative pna to start December with a zonal PAC flow.  We also lost our warm pool south of AK as the bearing seas low continues to produce very strong storms.  

9 minutes ago, qg_omega said:

November is on track for my +2 to +4 forecasted last month, early look on December is same as Nov +2 to +4 we are actually in a very stable wave pattern with all the cold air locked on the other side of the globe.  Don't expect any negative NAO to help us as blocking will be overmodeled in the long range.  I also like a negative pna to start December with a zonal PAC flow.  We also lost our warm pool south of AK as the bearing seas low continues to produce very strong storms.  

Good call. 

I did post that the back end of November would not negate the front  part its warmth .

Now I am not sure there is  even a back end. 

The LR guidance is fast into the WC 

So wheels up and  I will just  circle .

2 hours ago, PB GFI said:

Good call. 

I did post that the back end of November would not negate the front  part its warmth .

Now I am not sure there is  even a back end. 

The LR guidance is fast into the WC 

So wheels up and  I will just  circle .

Really wanted a good start to winter, I'll be in the Adirondacks for turkey day would have loved to get first ski in

14 hours ago, PB GFI said:

Hey Kev,  I was only N days 1 thru 10 .The GFS ensembles agree with N ish 

That doesn't look good . But should I thow Dec and Jan away on November 8th ? 

Yeah, we'll just have to wait and see how long this firehose PAC Jet keeps flooding North America with mild Pacific air.

I just ran the numbers for October and the PAC Jet from 30-50N across the Pacific set a new record for intensity by a 

decent sized margin. You can see the ensembles bring the trough into the Western US in the 6-10 day period which

will continue the warmth into later this month.

JET.png

eps_z500a_nh_41.png

On 11/8/2016 at 6:45 AM, bluewave said:

Pacific air will continue to dominate the pattern as long as this impressive Pacific Jet keeps going and the Arctic air is locked up in Eurasia.

JET.gif

Until there is a complete and total flip of the pattern in this graphic, we are not getting cold. Source regions are just getting torched. This looks to continue for at least the next 10 days at minimum

IMG_8365.PNG

I'm starting to get a sinking feeling in my stomach that we have another 11/12 on the way. We need a complete and utter pattern change. Even with a -nao and ao with all the cold air stuck in Asia and little or no snow in Canada even a northerly flow isn't going to cut it. Bring on the pattern change because the current weather is painful for a weather lover 

1 minute ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I'm starting to get a sinking feeling in my stomach that we have another 11/12 on the way. We need a complete and utter pattern change. Even with a -nao and ao with all the cold air stuck in Asia and little or no snow in Canada even a northerly flow isn't going to cut it. Bring on the pattern change because the current weather is painful for a weather lover 

Just hate when the one eye pig in over Alaska. It has given us many bad winter. 

1 hour ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Exactly. And this is why we need a complete patter change. Another ratter winter will put the nail in the coffin for allot of smaller ski resorts. 

1 hour ago, Cfa said:

We don't really need cold for snow, and cold doesn't guarantee snow.

Agree. Last year was a perfect example of getting lucky. I hate to roll the dice like that again 

GFSx at it again.      +4 degrees over the next 7 with just one BN day.     Chance for some clouds later in period is good, for precipitation not so good.    Have you been filling your canteens for next summer's water shortages?

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/mos/getmex.pl?sta=KACY&sta=KEWR&sta=KNYC&sta=KJFK&sta=KLGA

Reservoir update:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dep/html/drinking_water/maplevels_wide.shtml

We are   -15.2%.

Archived