Newest Member
    joxey
November 2016 Pattern Discussion

dmillz25

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

Coastal storm during the 1st week of November?

Thats the period i am watching as well. Most globals such as the CMC, EURO and GFS have it in some form or another. Definitely a time period worth watching on the EC as a possible storm that could be brewing. LOTS will change before then thats for sure.

I really want to see if this blocking has the legs to hang around for the winter or at least make its presence known often. Dont want anoverwhelming -NAO though.

1 hour ago, JerseyWx said:

Wasn't that 2014, or am I thinking of another cold shot?  Regardless, November 2014 had some very cold days, and not to mention the Pre-Thanksgiving snowstorm.

It was the year Buffalo got all lake effect. I'm not sure if it was 13 or 14. The cold shot was legit and a sign of things to come 

32 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

It was the year Buffalo got all lake effect. I'm not sure if it was 13 or 14. The cold shot was legit and a sign of things to come 

I remember that, lots of cold and snow in the east that November.  The February to come would be very impressive.

10 hours ago, JerseyWx said:

I remember that, lots of cold and snow in the east that November.  The February to come would be very impressive.

Yeah that was a impressive year. We also had a snow event right before thanksgiving that year. During the parade flurries where coming down.  

2 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Stormy start to November as the East Coast trough finally makes a long awaited return.

eps_z500a_nh_41.png

Yeh man as trough near AK retrogrades it helps pull the ridge N and W and the trough will actually come right through the ridge position. 

So you can the trough just begin to just appear to belly under in the SE in the means. 

I think the trough will get stuck under the blocking in the higher latitudes for at least 10 days .

The weeklies and CFS keep it there week 3 and 4 but I don't think the weeklies are useful past week 3 .

I do believe those colder anomalies that have been  stuck in Asia during October will begin to show up here between days 10 thru 25 .

Some of the guidance and maybe a few hints which are pointing  to the trough settling  in the east week 3 and 4 .

JMA

Y201610.D2612.png

CFS 

IMG_20161024_215007.jpg

Here are the SSTs in the NP  NOV 2014 

NOA_SST_Anom_Nov2014.JPG?itok=x_e3Yz7W&key=5c54e8c5b45b16d5ff94cf44a17427b4a20be03e2d8aa372f2592de50871fc4e

Current SST in NP  

alaska_cdas1_anom.png

Very similar in the NP and Atlantic .

Week 3 and 4 NOV 2014 

Image result for 500 MB DEC - FEB 2014/2015 PATTERN

Once past D 10 the EPS develops the trough in the East and it sits here week 3 on the weeklies .

I can`t post them . 

But here is DAY 10  and it`s start ,

ecmwf-ens_z500aNorm_nhem_11.png

GFS 5 DAY MEAN @ 500 

The 2 M anomalies are not cold yet GEFS/EPS are close to N at 0z .

gfs-ens_z500aMean_nhem_12.png

Here is the DAY 10 EPS 850 anomalies , they are BN . 

If you stick a trough in the E ,  build those heights  in Western Canada and pull that NEG back S of ALASKA a deeper trough should get reflected as we get closer . 

New EPS DAY 10 850 anomalies , not too shabby . 

ecmwf-ens_T850a_nhem_11.png

We will see how this plays out . 

21 minutes ago, PB GFI said:

Yep and the CFS as well , they all see it  now .

And ,

Nice AO post ! 

Good post above. The Euro monthly update around November 8th will probably be the most anticipated considering what it showed for December early in October.

8 hours ago, bluewave said:

Good post above. The Euro monthly update around November 8th will probably be the most anticipated considering what it showed for December early in October.

EPS day 10 thru 15 on board with above as are the new weeklies for week 3 and 4 .

Nice to see the JMA  CFS and Weeklies lining this up .

A  pattern of a -EPO  -AO + PNA -NAO is being seen by all , days 10 thru 25.

We will see if something storm wise  if anything comes of it. 

The high latitude Arctic is on fire. I think we may be in the glory years for a while longer though as all the cold air is displaced into the mid latitudes and even 20 above normal at the pole is still plenty cold. Eventually things may just be so warm that we can no longer pull off snow at the coast (20 plus years from now) today is a great example of what's possible currently

13 hours ago, PB GFI said:

EPS day 10 thru 15 on board with above as are the new weeklies for week 3 and 4 .

Nice to see the JMA  CFS and Weeklies lining this up .

A  pattern of a -EPO  -AO + PNA -NAO is being seen by all , days 10 thru 25.

We will see if something storm wise  if anything comes of it. 

Eurasia will be the place to be for cold and snow in early November as all the NH cold is presently bottled up over there.

We'll see how much cold can filter in here mid to late November as all the long range guidance is going with a -EPO/-AO

Eastern Trough pattern at that time.

gefs_t2ma_5d_nh_41.png

52 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Eurasia will be the place to be for cold and snow in early November as all the NH cold is presently bottled up over there.

We'll see how much cold can filter in here mid to late November as all the long range guidance is going with a -EPO/-AO

Eastern Trough pattern at that time.

gefs_t2ma_5d_nh_41.png

Yeh , the entire month of October has been brutal there. 

By Day 10 the GOA vortex is already pulling that height field west .

Troughiness begins to develop on day 10 in the East .

Day 10 850 anomalies are only slightly + but  they get colder Days 11 thru 15 .

Our departures will be slightly below normal D 10 thru 15 as this is polar pacific air and not low level directly discharged arctic air .

However if you can lock the trough underneath hight latitude blocking it's  a favorable BN pattern with a trough at 500 that could put a few points on the board early. 

1 hour ago, PB GFI said:

Yeh , the entire month of October has been brutal there. 

By Day 10 the GOA vortex is already pulling that height field west .

Troughiness begins to develop on day 10 in the East .

Day 10 850 anomalies are only slightly + but  they get colder Days 11 thru 15 .

Our departures will be slightly below normal D 10 thru 15 as this is polar pacific air and not low level directly discharged arctic air .

However if you can lock the trough underneath hight latitude blocking it's  a favorable BN pattern with a trough at 500 that could put a few points on the board early. 

BINGO! This is being hyped by some on twitter as a major arctic outbreak, WRONG!!! Like you said, if correct that's polar air not arctic air. Our source region, Canada, will be way above normal and it will take time to get cold as all the cold is on the other side of the pole to start November. It cools down yea but we certainly aren't going into an icebox like some are wishcasting on twitter

35 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

BINGO! This is being hyped by some on twitter as a major arctic outbreak, WRONG!!! Like you said, if correct that's polar air not arctic air. Our source region, Canada, will be way above normal and it will take time to get cold as all the cold is on the other side of the pole to start November. It cools down yea but we certainly aren't going into an icebox like some are wishcasting on twitter

Yes that is true , the first reshuffling at 500 is not a dive into the abyss but it is probably  BN .

We will have to wait and see what's beyond day 10 thru 20 because it may just be a matter of time before those higher heights deepen in the upper latitudes pull back W which could allow the trough to really deepen in the E.

Once you change the source region that low level cold air will sink to the base of the trough .

And being that the trough could get stuck under all that blocking here in the E,  it would be the last piece needed .

I am on board for a day 10 thru 20 mean trough in the east and blocking over the top , after that we will have to see what it evolved into. 

BTW I do see a 4 week period of -3 I'm just not sure if it's the entire month of December or its week 4 of November into week 3 of December. 

Timing not nailed down. 

4 minutes ago, PB GFI said:

Yes that is true , the first reshuffling at 500 is not a dive into the abyss but it is probably  BN .

We will have to wait and see what's beyond day 10 thru 20 because it may just be a matter of time before those higher heights deepen in the upper latitudes and pull back it could allow the trough to really deepen. 

Once you change the source region that low level cold air will sink to the base of the trough .

And being that the trough could get stuck under all that blocking here in the E,  it would be the last piece needed .

I am on board for a day 10 thru 20 mean trough in the east and blocking over the top , after that we will have to see what it evolved into. 

BTW I do see a 4 week period of -3 I'm just not sure if it's the entire month of December or its week 4 of November into week 3 of December. 

Timing not nailed down. 

Canada will need A LOT of work before we see true unmodified arctic air in place up there. Cross polar flow will have to get established and keep going for awhilw before it gets real cold. There are going to be insanely warm departures for Canada standards the first 2 weeks of November due to all the Pacific maritime air pouring in right now

31 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Canada will need A LOT of work before we see true unmodified arctic air in place up there. Cross polar flow will have to get established and keep going for a while before it gets real cold. There are going to be insanely warm departures for Canada standards the first 2 weeks of November due to all the Pacific maritime air pouring in right now

That may need a little less than a lot , 

You need to look at originating flow .

When you pull the height field far enough W the ridge  explodes and AN anomalies show up in Central and W Canada ( but that`s BN here ) .  It`s  the eastern side of that ridge that you can directly discharge air right into the GL and NE . 

0C in W and C CANADA is well AN there , but its  BN here for early Nov  . Just because the see + anomalies does not mean " Canada needs a lot of work " .

Day 11 -15 . 

Needs just a little work it`s  over the pole , that`s the bottleneck  the coldest air is being discharged into Asia , 

we need to redirect that flow in order to go W BN.

As is , the models still BN in the L/R but it is not the deep freeze .

gfs-ens_uv250_nhem_43.png

gfs-ens_T2m_nhem_43.png

gfs-ens_T2ma_nhem_43.png

gfs-ens_z500a_nhem_43.png

gfs-ens_T2m_nhem_65.png

gfs-ens_uv250_namer_65.png

gfs-ens_z500aNorm_namer_65.png

gfs-ens_T2ma_namer_65.png

7 minutes ago, PB GFI said:

That may need a little less than a lot , 

You need to look at originating flow .

When you pull the height field far enough W the ridge  explodes and AN anomalies show up in Central and W Canada ( but that`s BN here ) .  It`s  the eastern side of that ridge that you can directly discharge air right into the GL and NE . 

0 in W and C CANADA is well AN there , but its well BN here . Just because the see + anomalies does not mean " Canada needs a lot of work " .

Day 11 -15 . 

Needs just a little work , 

gfs-ens_uv250_nhem_43.png

gfs-ens_T2m_nhem_43.png

gfs-ens_T2ma_nhem_43.png

gfs-ens_z500a_nhem_43.png

gfs-ens_T2m_nhem_65.png

gfs-ens_uv250_namer_65.png

gfs-ens_z500aNorm_namer_65.png

gfs-ens_T2ma_namer_65.png

Historic torch for Canada during the first two weeks of November at the very least.  Looks like Dec 15 for them

Archived