Newest Member
    Dano62
November 2016 Pattern Discussion

dmillz25

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, PB GFI said:

Yes the 5 day mean will look like that because there are a few plus 10s in it early on. 

BUT we are already BN on November 5 6 7 .

That's the first shot but now I agree that the Colder shot looks to reload around the 11th as the source region for that changes to arctic. 

That NEG will get stuck in the east through months end .

I would not be surprised if we are cold all the way through December. 

It's an early start this year and somewhere between the 10th and 15th most will recognize the pattern change/changing. 

The second shot is where the real reshuffling in the EP and Arctic takes place. 

Thankfully  the torch is over after the 5th 

Models like to rush pattern changes so it may be AN to closer to N and then finally BN by mid to later in the month.

Can't wait to see the Euro monthly update November 8th for December after the Oct 8th bullish December forecast.

1 minute ago, bluewave said:

Models like to rush pattern changes so it may be AN to closer to N and then finally BN by mid to later in the month.

I agree the first shot is almost always a false start.

But after last year , we are now sitting here deciding whether our start time is Nov 10 vs Nov 15 , I will take that as a huge win .

climatology speaking below freezing temperatures usually come during the second half of November in the city...if this winter is similar to 1966-67 there will be some all out blow torch's and periods of extreme cold...not to mention frequent snows at times...October will end up averaging close to 59.0...I think November end up averaging around 48.0 which is a little above average...Max of 70 the first half and a 28 min the second half...

50 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The 12z EPS is a little more bullish on that trough near the NE day 6-10 for the step down to near or below normal.

So we may very well see the last 70 potential of the fall this week before the ridge starts pulling back to the NW.

Much different pattern from last November where we were talking about a record warm November in the +5 range.

eps_t850a_5d_exnamer_41.png

Yep,  the warmup coming is roughly 3 days then it turns into that

Then 11 to 15 and I think 25 look BN.

I agree,  this has sped up and by day 11 LP N In the Barents Sea releases and the source region changes.

It's why I believed the torch was short lived and the colder anomalies would show up before mid month. 

I liked the 12z EPS today. You can see the Aleutian low retrograde, which in turn pumps up the +PNA, like it's been advertising.  More importantly to me if you look at the 850 wind field in the arctic, look at what starts happening with the vectors. It's a slow process. From days 5 - 15, the winds start veering around towards Canada instead of into Siberia like they are now. That would start loading Canada up with some colder air.

2 hours ago, bluewave said:

Yeah, at first it just looks like some stale cold to near normal before we have a shot at getting into something colder later on.

But it should be a gradual process since there is still so much warmth across North America.The really warm 70+ temps should

be limited to this week. Quite the departure from what we saw last November.

Yeh better source region day 10 and beyond , 

Days 5 - 10 are N 

gfs-ens_uv250_namer_41.png

gfs-ens_T2maMean_namer_12.png

eps_uv200_noram_49.png

eps_t850a_5d_noram_61.png

2 hours ago, PB GFI said:

Yeh better source region day 10 and beyond , 

Days 5 - 10 are N 

gfs-ens_uv250_namer_41.png

gfs-ens_T2maMean_namer_12.png

eps_uv200_noram_49.png

eps_t850a_5d_noram_61.png

Nov 10-15 look BN for the northeast, but looks like we go back to zonal flow and day 15 to 20, looks N to AN. 

It remains to be seen if these cold shots are meaningful signs of a pattern shift or something more transitory (i.e temporary disruptions in the existing pattern).

18 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Nov 10-15 look BN for the northeast, but looks like we go back to zonal flow and day 15 to 20, looks N to AN. 

It remains to be seen if these cold shots are meaningful signs of a pattern shift or something more transitory (i.e temporary disruptions in the existing pattern).

J looking at the guidance we may roll right through Mid DECEMBER , 

Euro weeklies look the same ,

At Day 15 , you still streaming air out of N Canada down into the lakes . It just naturally finds its way into the base of the trough , 

wk3.wk4_20161030.wnd850.gif

wk3.wk4_20161030.z500.gif

eps_uv200_nh_61.png

cfs-avg_z500aMean_namer_4.png

cfs-avg_z500aMean_namer_5.png

10-31-2016 12-03-55 PM.png

3 hours ago, PB GFI said:

J looking at the guidance we may roll right through Mid DECEMBER , 

Euro weeklies look the same ,

At Day 15 , you still streaming air out of N Canada down into the lakes . It just naturally finds its way into the base of the trough , 

wk3.wk4_20161030.wnd850.gif

wk3.wk4_20161030.z500.gif

eps_uv200_nh_61.png

cfs-avg_z500aMean_namer_4.png

cfs-avg_z500aMean_namer_5.png

10-31-2016 12-03-55 PM.png

Yea I get it, generally a weak long-wave trough in the east. But honestly, that H500 is not exciting at all--way too much PAC influence, and no available cold source in Canada. H500 looks N to slight AN in the northeast after the 15th, once the PV lobe swings through.

Pacific air dominates North America for the first half of November with all the Arctic air stuck in Eurasia.

Need the ensembles to be correct about about the EPO drop second half to get it colder.

Most impressive thing on this map is the record warmth in Arctic and all the cold and snow in Eurasia.

gefs_t2ma_5d_nh_23.png

gefs_t2ma_5d_nh_43.png

gefs_t2ma_5d_nh_65.png

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

Pacific air dominates North America for the first half of November with all the Arctic air stuck in Eurasia.

Need the ensembles to be correct about about the EPO drop second half to get it colder.

Most impressive thing on this map is the record warmth in Arctic and all the cold and snow in Eurasia.

gefs_t2ma_5d_nh_23.png

gefs_t2ma_5d_nh_43.png

gefs_t2ma_5d_nh_65.png

The good news for snow lovers is there is no way that will continue into the winter.  If the AO stays that negative eventually the cold is coming to this side of the pole 

2 hours ago, bluewave said:

gefs_t2ma_5d_nh_23.png

gefs_t2ma_5d_nh_43.png

gefs_t2ma_5d_nh_65.png

Its amazing that day 5 thru 10 is colder than I thought and days 10 thru 15 is warmer than I thought.

The weeklies are so cold from Nov 20 through Dec 10 I'm not sure if can even look at them seriously , it's just too far out not to mention they scode last year. 

10 of my 15 days in  my forecast are flipped so I am gona need to pin day 10 thru 15 down before I look at fantasy land .

My one idea is that  the model is not seeing the cold on the longer range on the EPS because there are some warm members skewing the mean. 

Or is day 5 to 10 the first shot and  it pulls back then comes ? 

Not sure ...

Take 5 days at a time,  the next 5 should be nice. 

I don't see anything to be enthused about insofar as protracted cold, and certainly snow, through D15 at least (probably beyond) at this juncture. High angular momentum state w/ intensifying m/l jet implicates generally warm conditions for most of the CONUS w/ the PV perturbation induced blocking forcing most of the cold into Asia/Europe.

3 hours ago, Isotherm said:

I don't see anything to be enthused about insofar as protracted cold, and certainly snow, through D15 at least (probably beyond) at this juncture. High angular momentum state w/ intensifying m/l jet implicates generally warm conditions for most of the CONUS w/ the PV perturbation induced blocking forcing most of the cold into Asia/Europe.

Although I am reluctantly retreating from the 10th to 15th  for the more prologned start I hate disagreeing with you here as I would rather have you on my side.

I still like day 15 thru 25 . I may get a decent shot day 5 thru 10 , I was surprised at the backing off day 10 thru 15.

This is not last year and we will not be under a ridge all November like last year .

Expect that from the WC to the MISS the second half of the month will feature a trough in the east 

Don't buy the coast to coast that includes this area  bllsht.

15 hours ago, SnowGoose69 said:

The good news for snow lovers is there is no way that will continue into the winter.  If the AO stays that negative eventually the cold is coming to this side of the pole 

13 hours ago, PB GFI said:

Its amazing that day 5 thru 10 is colder than I thought and days 10 thru 15 is warmer than I thought.

The weeklies are so cold from Nov 20 through Dec 10 I'm not sure if can even look at them seriously , it's just too far out not to mention they scode last year. 

10 of my 15 days in  my forecast are flipped so I am gona need to pin day 10 thru 15 down before I look at fantasy land .

My one idea is that  the model is not seeing the cold on the longer range on the EPS because there are some warm members skewing the mean. 

Or is day 5 to 10 the first shot and  it pulls back then comes ? 

Not sure ...

Take 5 days at a time,  the next 5 should be nice. 

Yeah, it's a very slow process on the EPS weeklies. There is about a one week lag from the EPO going negative around the 14th along with the AO for

the cold to arrive around November 20th to December 10th. You can also see the cold anomalies in Eurasia fading slightly as the Eastern half of the US

gets colder. Very solid -EPO/-AO pattern November 14th-December 10th. If that pattern verifies, it could produce an early accumulating

snowfall more than a trace post November 20th which would be early for us.

Ryan Maue freebie...be interesting to see if the new EPS weeklies with upgraded ocean model gets this right

They would redeem themselves from the big miss last December.

CwIbXCRWcAASjvo.jpg-small.jpg

12 hours ago, PB GFI said:

Although I am reluctantly retreating from the 10th to 15th  for the more prologned start I hate disagreeing with you here as I would rather have you on my side.

I still like day 15 thru 25 . I may get a decent shot day 5 thru 10 , I was surprised at the backing off day 10 thru 15.

This is not last year and we will not be under a ridge all November like last year .

Expect that from the WC to the MISS the second half of the month will feature a trough in the east 

Heh, that's a dangerous cycle to get into PB--to keep pushing the start point back, where the model accuracy  remains the lowest.

On 11/1/2016 at 10:14 AM, jbenedet said:

Heh, that's a dangerous cycle to get into PB--to keep pushing the start point back, where the model accuracy  remains the lowest.

Yeh , a good rule has been that the first start is usually a false one . I may have missed on the 6 thru 10 here ( which is BN on the GFS )   I  have since fallen back to day 15 - 30 , instead of day 10 -25 as my DN period .

The guidance does suggest that`s the case . I posted last week how the first shot would be polar pacific air . ( so not cold )  but N . 

A miss is a miss . 

The GFS ensembles agree 

6 - 10 / the EURO is warmer , so I DONT buy this . 

gfs-ens_T2maMean_us_6.png

But I am buying this one  .

Day 10 -15 

gem-ens_z500aMean_namer_11.png

gfs-ens_T2maMean_namer_11.png

13 hours ago, PB GFI said:

Paul, I think the real key will be monitoring variables such as ENSO, MJO, and LF tropical forcing along with other background indicators which will provide clues as to the z500 evolution.

Right now, the difficult question is the extent to which we will continue to experience a heightened angular momentum / El Nino type regime w/ the GOAK troughing? Will ENSO sufficiently couple such that the atmospheric response is more retracted jet by December? Will have to see how things progress.

14 minutes ago, bluewave said:

We are only about 10 days  away from the November 1995 and 2002 analog coming into play. I think we'll have a pretty good idea by then how this will turn out.

If if see that H500 verify with the continuing retrograde of the ridge back to western NOAM, then we could see an early accumulation snow late November

early December like 1995 and 2002.

814analog.off.gif

I agree and I think we will begin to see that look at 500 . 

I think there is snow @ KNYC before Thanksgiving 

Archived