Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
November 2016 Pattern Discussion

dmillz25

6 hours ago, PB GFI said:

Meh, fast PAC jet is just lights out . It becomes the bully.

We would need some real anomalous help on the Atlantic side just to be in the game , let alone run it .

I walked away from the November flip a few days ago . Even with the flip I thought it wouldn't erase the front , now I am looking forward to tranquil fall temps .

I'm not punting winter at all  . Just the calls for an early start were premature.

It is starting to look like those who called for a colder second half may be right.

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, PB GFI said:

If a "current " pattern  looks bad that doesn't mean that the guidance will not pick up an evolution in one region that forces a reaction in another and forecasts a change in the different latitudes .

Chris and I spoke last year about  the weeklies  on several occasions on how we just ignored them after week 3.

They are brutal and are run off that days run of the ensembles and are just a crap shoot. 

There are times where the guidance in the 10 to 15 picks up changes and it's right. 

However so far the forcing  in the Pacific is one piece that is overwhelming the pattern and this may take some time .

We seem to forget that this month is running close to average for November over the last 10 years or so.

In other news, the record PAC jet helped pump the PNA ridge near record levels for the month of November.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/intraseasonal/z500_nh_anim.shtml

The 2 highest values that I was able to find since 1950 were in Nov 56 and 76.

http://ftp.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/cwlinks/norm.daily.pna.index.b500101.current.ascii

1956 11 25  1.845
1976 11 12  1.848

pna.mrf.obs.gif

6 hours ago, Allsnow said:

You called 2011-2012 right before December because of the GOA low. Any similarities to this winter? 

Look at Siberia right now. This is unbelievable. A 1070mb Siberian High and -60F below normal temps? Yea there's a positive feedback loop over that region that isn't changing anytime soon

IMG_8376.PNG

IMG_8377.PNG

7 minutes ago, dmillz25 said:

Down to 34 here 

37s across the board from NYC to westhampton. Winds kept temps up on the island and the area uniform. I don't like to put down upton as I respect them but I nailed the forecast and they blew it with the freeze warning for western Suffolk. It wasn't even close 

4 minutes ago, bluewave said:

It will be interesting to see if the Pac Jet runs the table right through December and we get our 6th above normal temperature December in a row which began in 2011.

The only one of those years that didn't flip snowier and colder later on than December was 2011-2012. So only 1 out of the past 5 winters had a pattern where the

December pattern locked in for the whole winter.

It's going to be interesting for sure. It's a tough year to get a feel for.

1 hour ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

37s across the board from NYC to westhampton. Winds kept temps up on the island and the area uniform. I don't like to put down upton as I respect them but I nailed the forecast and they blew it with the freeze warning for western Suffolk. It wasn't even close 

I was surprised to see the freeze warning up too. Got a little nervous because I have the lawn sprinklers still out and didn't want them to freeze. Stepped outside at 11 and thought the same as you- too windy. I ened up just switching the timers to make them all go ON during the coldest time of the night/morning. Figured worst case we would get an hour of 32 and moving water isn't gonna freeze. Ended up a low of 34 for that hour. 

7 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Got to agree, may be close to it. I thought November would be warmer and drier than normal but not by this much

Dry ground doing the dirty work too....some days have beaten guidance for high temps.   Around here, there's only .25 or so precip and we're close to halfway through the month

11 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Dry ground doing the dirty work too....some days have beaten guidance for high temps.   Around here, there's only .25 or so precip and we're close to halfway through the month

Or the lack of any cold, it's a warm pattern not just for us but the whole country... One of the warmest on record for the country

23 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Yea that's a big part of it. Go to the NOAA site and look at the soil moisture stats for our region. Bone dry is an understatement 

4 hours ago, JerseyWx said:

I wonder if we will follow last years pattern where no real cold shows up until after the New Year.  Despite that, I don't think we'll see the incredible warmth this December like we did in 2015.  Never really know though.

Thats a pretty safe bet no matter what. Dec 2015 may be a once in a lifetime event in terms of temp anomalies. 

8 minutes ago, dWave said:

Thats a pretty safe bet no matter what. Dec 2015 may be a once in a lifetime event in terms of temp anomalies. 

I would be willing to bet we see another December through March +10 or greater monthly departure within the next 5 years.

But I have no idea which one of those months will be the one when +10 departure occurs.

7 minutes ago, bluewave said:

I would be willing to bet we see another December through March +10 or greater monthly departure within the next 5 years.

But I have no idea which one of those months will be the one when +10 departure occurs.

Actually March of 2012 was really anomalous as far as extreme warmth too. I remember the city hitting 90 degrees 

15 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Actually March of 2012 was really anomalous as far as extreme warmth too. I remember the city hitting 90 degrees 

We came very close in March 2012 to +10 when NYC went +8.5. January 2006 was also very close coming in at +8.8 in NYC.

Archived