• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Novie is near, the first un-official month of SNE winter!

Typhoon Tip

Hit 63F today in town... really a nice day with a 41 degree diurnal swing off a low of 22F.

Amazing to me this time of year though how fast the temp drops.  Just plummets once the sun heads below the Spine.

The 00z observations at 7pm are showing a 6-hour max of 63F and a min of 35F.  Almost a 30 degree drop in the past few hours.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Should be another night of "fake cold" as some like to say.

Currently 35F at 750ft and 51F at 1,500ft... last night's lows were 22F at 750ft and 38F at 1,500ft. 

In a boring pattern, the most excitement we get is having a 15-20 degree difference over about 700-800ft of elevation change.  Car thermometer can't keep up with it when driving through the inversion layer...starts skipping 2-3 degrees at a time.

18 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Hit 63F today in town... really a nice day with a 41 degree diurnal swing off a low of 22F.

Amazing to me this time of year though how fast the temp drops.  Just plummets once the sun heads below the Spine.

The 00z observations at 7pm are showing a 6-hour max of 63F and a min of 35F.  Almost a 30 degree drop in the past few hours.

Same high here (63F) off a low of 24F

Beautiful day.  Wish I got to spend it outside

11 hours ago, powderfreak said:

i walked across the street down here in Cambridge at around 2, it was quite nice out. No jacket needed. at 4 i walked across the street to get some lunch, and it was quite a bit chillier. it got chilly fast.

well well well... looks as though we'll slip through this interval of favorable GEFs-derived teleconnector spread having not seen much presentation on the pattern.

sometimes that happens.. some may blame that on the GEFs but don't - they're not THAT bad over the long haul. i'm curious if the Euro ensemble derivatives still buckin' for the 20th? - sorry i've been off for days

we've recurved a west Pac typhoon, and continue in the wake of that having the MJO prog show every member drilling the wave through phase 7-8-1... yet despite these tantalizing tropically forced signals the NP is strongly to respond and this is also not transmitting well over N/A. yeeah, there are some semblances there of +Perennial N/A pattern but the next run or run after that consummately returns to the rather antithetic rest-state of bulging the SE ridge back and least excuse imaginable.

i would caution (duh) that Novie patterns don't really bear out too well for ensuing winters ...sometimes they do, but the correlation leaves plenty of room for less skill. that's code for we could easily flip it around in December or mid January...like 2014 and not really see it coming too well.

anyway, having said all that the 12z oper. Euro...that's really quite the pattern for next week... may be a bit early to sustain cold; given a month, that's a couple of blue babes probably.

9 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Seriously though, it's 11/10.

Exactly.   Same thing every year with some...their dilution that the second half of November should bring cold and snowstorms is just way off base for SNE.  Sometimes it can and does, most times NOT.  Even December most years are iffy with regard to sustained cold and snow.  Climo is not winter here in November and most of December most years.  

20 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It's a hot mess. As far out as you look. The one eyed pig just sits ,  stares and laughs at winter fans in North America. No one is safe from one eyed Willy this winter 

On the flip side the Eye on Sky forecast used this old proverb today as a way to argue a cold start is not a sign of a great snowy winter to come:

If the ice in November can hold a duck, rest of winter is just Sleet and Muck.

59 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Exactly.   Same thing every year with some...their dilution that the second half of November should bring cold and snowstorms is just way off base for SNE.  Sometimes it can and does, most times NOT.  Even December most years are iffy with regard to sustained cold and snow.  Climo is not winter here in November and most of December most years.  

Yeah, it’s sort of feels like an annual broken record at this point.  Yeah, we get it, snow at Thanksgiving happens in SNE… once in a while (Will ran or estimated the numbers at one point), but it’s far from the norm, and expecting it is just a delusional weenie thing.  I actually loved Thanksgivings when I lived in SNE as a kid – heading off into the local woods with my grandfather to track down a holly tree and get a sprig, walking through the crunchy leaves, enjoying the seasonable weather.  But snow?  Even up here in the upslope zone of the Northern Greens my numbers suggest that white Thanksgivings are ~50% in the valleys, so not something you can really count on.  And, even if there is snow down low at Thanksgiving, it’s not as if it’s all that useful – it’s typically a pretty thin pack (checking my numbers, mean depth is right around a half foot).  When we do have valley snow at that point though, it could mean the mountains are having a good run of snow and the skiing could be great, so that’s definitely something to watch for.

Archived