• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Novie is near, the first un-official month of SNE winter!

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

My post was in response to Kevin saying all out BN after mid month. It's a pattern flip but not sure all out BN the entire second half. 

We all know hot it goes... when season's are changing he has the patience of a 6-year old kid on Christmas morning, lol.  Like trying to get 84/68 in April once he flips outta winter mode.

5 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Why laugh when all ENS modeling indicates it does change. Gut feeling ?

I understand that the latter runs have flip flopped...but I think its going to be rushed.

I'm not denying that the pattern is going to improve and we will see at least a decent winter.

Canada also needs to cool off, too...

I'm def. not trolling btw....I realize that even if we do flip right on schedule, I'm probably not seeing much of any accumulating snow here for at least a another few weeks.

54 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I can dig that look in December. Let the snowpack finally develop in Canada. 

I've been thinking about that....that's our SWFE look but we need the snowpack in Canada to keep those low level air masses crisp.  Its great when we are in our own little world with a trough in the northeast (or as has been the case recently, from like upstate NY eastward through New England), but we need that snowpack to get going in Canada.  Don't want to torch the Canadian prairies indefinitely.  Definitely need that Canadian snowpack to start growing, even if we are mild for a little bit because of it.

45 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I'm not down on the winter, and didn't mean to understate any pending transiton..but I just want to guard against having some go overboard on the ramifications of said change prior to the turn of the month.

If people think pattern change automatically implies snowstorms, then shame on them...or if they are new, keeping reading about patterns in here and they'll learn that's not what it means. 

6 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Well that's just one snapshot panel, and the EPS mean trof looked to be centered to our W, which isn't really a cold look for us overall.

Right, less cold nationally. It's a shift, but I don't know about the deep winter some are touting. Looks like it cools off in Canada so maybe we'll get these intrusions south into the US as troughing develops in the west. Basically cold weekend, and then we warm up with the cutter later next week. After that, probably another cooldown, but if the EPS is right...I think cold is more Plains and west and it may not be all that cold.

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Right, less cold nationally. It's a shift, but I don't know about the deep winter some are touting. Looks like it cools off in Canada so maybe we'll get these intrusions south into the US as troughing develops in the west. Basically cold weekend, and then we warm up with the cutter later next week. After that, probably another cooldown, but if the EPS is right...I think cold is more Plains and west and it may not be all that cold.

Yea but Scott retorch? Hyperbole on both sides is what is the problem in all things. Guess its the millennial way

51 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Yea but Scott retorch? Hyperbole on both sides is what is the problem in all things. Guess its the millennial way

That h500 of the Euro ensemble at hr 240 is a very warm look for us. We will have to see how amped up that cutter becomes but as is modeled now on most guidance, it looks to cut well west of us, meaning we go from way above normal to just normal as we never really get the backside cold. And then we would be primed to be on the warm side of the following wave. So basically as it looks to be right now, next week has a good shot at being well above normal in the Northeast US.

Just now, jbenedet said:

That h500 of the Euro ensemble at hr 240 is a very warm look for us. We will have to see how amped up that cutter becomes but as is modeled now on most guidance, it looks to cut well west of us, meaning we go from way above normal to just normal as we never really get the backside cold. And then we would be primed to be on the warm side of the following wave. So basically as it looks to be right now, next week has a good shot at being well above normal in the Northeast US.

Even if it is just one model day ten outlook, the GFS doesn't agree with this.

We need to watch this storm system very carefully on the guidance this late morning into the afternoon today as NAM has swung towards the GFS with a very dynamic storm system with H5 heights crashing to 540dm within the upper level low.  Snow heavy at times on the backside of the storm system on Thursday.   Especially BOS.

Archived