• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Novie is near, the first un-official month of SNE winter!

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there is a reason why the 'perception' sometimes supports proverbs for those having to do with the weather...

for example, "Red sky at morning, sailor takes warning; red sky at night, sailor's delight" actually has some merit in the conceptual sense, for middle latitudes. The reason is because the mean motion of the atmosphere is west to east. At dawn, a rising sun will refract red and purple ...yellows and blues an storminess from activity that is west of the given location, thus, moving east toward the observer. The sailor takes note of that. Contrasting, in the evening the opposite is naturally true. If the setting sun is visible against a departing storm with the same palette of colors, the sailor takes note that the storm is departing and fairer conditions should immediately prevail.

That of course does not always work. Storms 'retrograde' ... etc, etc. But the idea of red at dawn vs evening has some validity.

Don't know about the November duck vs muck one. Although, I can posit that it might be related to residence times for patterns. Patterns are weird though... you can be in a basic regime for 18 months, and yet layers of patterns evolve in and out over that - but the rest state is still the pattern. That happened for 2 consecutive winters when the Great Lakes then New England both froze recently - whatever global physical parameter favored those whopper -EPO winters, it was 'base-lined' that whole time. Even so, about every 45 to 90 days, something morphs a given paradigm 'that much' to alter the perception of sensible weather. If you are in sloped flow in October and it lasts into November, you may lock up ponds, concrete the earth, but... can that last from the 20th through to February 15? not likely...

But that's just supposition. I've also read correlations about October and November and the winter that go against that, too.

This times 10000000000000. Sheesh people are acting like winter is half way through already when it hasn't even started yet. Yeah the proposed pattern change hasn't occurred but it's still early. I'll worry if it hasn't changed in February 

This post could be a carbon copy of one from last year. People kept saying don't worry it's early, only another week or month away.

2 hours ago, weathafella said:

A first?   You should check background before making a fool of yourself yourself.

http://www.ct.gov/deep/cwp/view.asp?a=2697&q=322782&deepNav_GID=1631

November 1987 or 1988...massive forest fires in the Northeast somewhere, I remember smoke in the sky a few days

i dunno...feels damn Novie like to me at the moment.

it's been an interesting transitional pattern the last ten days or so. 30 hours of bite, followed by cargo shorts and long sleeve shirts...rinse repeat. Some intervals even briefer before flipping back.

This air mass tsunamis today appears no different. 60 This morning, now 42 after the day's Canadian assault of white noise over head whirled leaves into frantic eddies. you know you're a geek when you stop to watch "leaf-nados" whirl around - people turn their head as they pass by wondering what the f you're looking at...

anyway, -9 C at 850 at dawn tomorrow, then +6 C by Sunday early afternoon on an absolutely perfect wind direction to get a kadabatic assist... Probably 63 in some exit coastal zones - amazing day there I think.

becoming higher confident for some sort of coastal inflection to lift up next week. I am sure others have noted that latter period off-on cut-off Nor'easter thing for D7-9.

I'm not sure this is a "fast pacific flow"

the l/w axis has been pretty locked in around the longitude of Nove Scotia - that's why these troughs keep bottoming out east of us and we get these sideswipe cold air mass in the same way over and over.

it almost reminds me just having a cool draft blow by in an otherwise warm room.

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

I'm not sure this is a "fast pacific flow"

the l/w axis has been pretty locked in around the longitude of Nove Scotia - that's why these trough keep bottoming out east of us and we get these sideswipe cold air mass in the same way over and over.

Looks like another longer lasting cold shot next Fri-Sun

1 hour ago, alex said:

Some pretty good squalls coming through, maybe 1/10" in a few minutes. Hard to tell how much because of the raging wind. Feels Arctic compared to the past few days

Yeah it feels nasty out.  Arctic wind feel for the first time this season.

33F and gusting 30mph in the valley.

Up at 1500ft it's 29F, sustained at 29mph and gusting to 40mph.  

Archived