• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Novie is near, the first un-official month of SNE winter!

Typhoon Tip

15 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

First sub-zero wind chills of the season up on the hill.

Pretty nasty to be sustained over 50mph and gusting in the 70s.

It's behaving like a slow step down autumn.  

Heard tale of 1995-1996 analog but don't recall that autumn being this way   That one flip decidedly colder around this time with solid sleet and snow event where I was at UML. Never turned back until mega thaw in late January. 

Anyway this seems much more uninterestingly severing whopper 2/10s of a degree by every 2.5 day rate of change. Yeah I admit we've seen better times ... In general, but honestly this is more like the Novies I remember as typical in my childhood. Technically that doesn't mean much no. But. Heh. Seems normal. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It's behaving like a slow step down autumn.  

Heard tale of 1995-1996 analog but don't recall that autumn being this way   That one flip decidedly colder around this time with solid sleet and snow event where I was at UML. Never turned back until mega thaw in late January. 

Anyway this seems much more uninterestingly severing whopper 2/10s of a degree by every 2.5 day rate of change. Yeah I admit we've seen better times ... In general, but honestly this is more like the Novies I remember as typical in my childhood. Technically that doesn't mean much no. But. Heh. Seems normal. 

Yeah it's boring but I agree with you...step down like I think of November.  Each cold shot is just a little colder than the last, and the "torches" are a little chillier than the one the week before.

Mild pattern in the means but still has some solid cold shots.  

48 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah it's boring but I agree with you...step down like I think of November.  Each cold shot is just a little colder than the last, and the "torches" are a little chillier than the one the week before.

Mild pattern in the means but still has some solid cold shots.  

True.  

Altho next week is sort of weird. The warm up is perhaps a bit more aggressive but right in the middle of it a wet low meanders up the coast that cuts it off. 

15 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Friday could hit 70 if Euro is right

Very warm Friday and Saturday.  The Pacific is puke as far as the eye can see. Hopefully it changes in December.   Meanwhile, Siberia has insane cold right now.  When temps there are more than 25 degrees below normal, it's cold lol.

37 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Very warm Friday and Saturday.  The Pacific is puke as far as the eye can see. 

Yes. All guidance is showing ~10F+ above normal. Friday night into Saturday may not even fall below 50 in most places. It's easy to conceive 10F as a minimum departure given a southwesterly fetch stemming from the Gulf of Mexico, and background land/soil temps that are very warm throughout the eastern CONUS, which should only lead to modest airmass moderation by the time it makes it up here. This is a classic torch look for us up here, and I think records will be threatened based on how warm the whole eastern CONUS has been. 925 mb and 850 mb temps don't look all that impressive on the GFS, but I expect most guidance will be playing catch up --as they usually do-- out ahead of a robust cold front.

perhaps serviceable as a case study in why the mjo may be overrated ..

i've always thought so - are in a minimum, it is not assessed/used the right way. it's no wonder over recent years, i don't read mention of it nearly as frequently as i used to back 10 or more years ago, coming out of ncep discussions... perhaps they've realized similarly. in fact, i think i have actually read discussions where they seemed to since then.

what that is has to do with destructive vs constructive interference. Scott and Will and I have covered this in the past, but the idea is ... if the MJO is out of phase with the surrounding circulation medium, it's correlation falls apart. that's the short version of destructive interference.

the mjo is like a 'booster' more than a singular forcing mechanism in that way. example, in positive pna, if the mjo then passes into phase 7-8-1-2 ... they 'constructively' align and both get amplified. but it's all still dealing with quantity of force ... if a super-nova of a wave plowed its way out of the marine sub-continent than sure...it may force the hemispheric hand. but, standard wave strengths appear to be conditionally correlated.

anyway, the mjo has been progged for days to march through 7-8-1-2 in moderate strength, but we are only seeing a modest -EPO out here in time... it may yet strengthen in the guidance (we'll see).

5 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Despite an overall bad Pacific, it does seem like after next weekend's warm spell....we step down again into something closer to November. 

We've already lost one winter month...

That's a nice cold shot early next week though, and despite trying to bring back the Gulf of AK trough the EPS keeps 850 temps below 0 around here.

I guess if you can get split flow and some higher heights in Canada, it can work..especially inland. The 11-15 day on the EPS has some similarities to December 2012. So if you extrapolate that into December...it's serviceable in NNE and perhaps interior SNE. That's assuming Pacific does not get worse and the AO and NAO aren't raging positive. 

Archived