Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
PTC Matthew

PaEasternWX

3 minutes ago, hazwoper said:

Wrong. It wouldn't approach Sandy or Katrina.    

If the projection on the 18z is correct there is a chance. I don't know how you can definitively say it won't knowing that the GFS tracks it basically along the coast from Fort Lauderdale to Wilmington. That is a very long track of coastal cities potentially having significant damage.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, yoda said:

Wow... wonder if they will make it down to the surface

Well would they really have to seeing the area in Haiti it is heading towards is elevated?  If the wind doesn't come down to the land but the land rises...

So I have family in Orlando, FL (Disneyworld) on vacation thru Saturday. I fully understand that the immediate coast doesn't always receive the worst damage/casualties irt to tropical systems but that flooding can be of larger impact. With recent tracks of Matthew near/over FL being shown and some of the rainfall amounts (15-35") associated with this storm, does anyone know if the theme park has any sort of drainage to deal with potential flooding like this? Do they have emergency plans in place for anything like this? Just curious. I haven't "sounded the alarm" yet to my family but they are aware of Matthew.

3 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

So I have family in Orlando, FL (Disneyworld) on vacation thru Saturday. I fully understand that the immediate coast doesn't always receive the worst damage/casualties irt to tropical systems but that flooding can be of larger impact. With recent tracks of Matthew near/over FL being shown and some of the rainfall amounts (15-35") associated with this storm, does anyone know if the theme park has any sort of drainage to deal with potential flooding like this? Do they have emergency plans in place for anything like this? Just curious. I haven't "sounded the alarm" yet to my family but they are aware of Matthew.

I am sure there will not be an issue. Use common sense and call Disney World with these questions.

I am sure there will not be an issue. Use common sense and call Disney World with these questions.

Planned on it tomorrow morning. Just posting here to see if any of you folks knew. Thank you.

Edit: found some info online....aside from being dubbed "the happiest place on earth", Disneyworld is considered one of the safest places in the entire USA to be during a hurricane.

4 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Planned on it tomorrow morning. Just posting here to see if any of you folks knew. Thank you.

Disney World tends to close the parks ahead of significant tropical systems IIRC. So if they are visiting WDW they may end up holed up inside a hotel since the parks may not even be open if the winds are high enough and the storm is close enough. 

Back on topic - it does seem like the trend for 0z could be a bit west with the FL portion of the track and a bit east with the northern portion of the track. All eyes will be on that trough coming across the US. 

16 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Disney always takes necessary precautions. They last shut down in 2003 for Hurricane Charlie which brought 102 mph winds and lots of damage to Orlando. Friends said guests hunkered down in hotels. No matter how good drainage is, none of it holds up to torrential Florida rains. I was there Sat with a 'normal' summer storm that dropped a couple inches in an hour. You couldn't avoid the big streams of water. :)

18 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Edit: found some info online....aside from being dubbed "the happiest place on earth", Disneyworld is considered one of the safest places in the entire USA to be during a hurricane.

Hey Ralph I think Disney will do their due diligence on this as I am there every year.  I know back in 2004 they weathered Hurricane Charlie pretty good with sustained winds to 80 mph with gusts up to 95-100 they took a licking that year lots and lots of trees down but oddly the Magic Kingdom was spared that was not the case just to their east and towards Daytona Beach they were hit really hard.  Drainage wise they are in pretty good shape. 

The parks during Hurricane Charlie were closed and you had to hunker down in the hotel rooms they will always side on caution for sure especially in this day and age!  I always go to Disney World in August you bet I always purchase the insurance with the vacation package just for events such as this.

Castaway Cay their beach community in the Bahamas I do believe is being evacuated at this time.

Mike Maze from WRAL posted this on Facebook:

Someone on my Facebook page posted the track of Hurricane Hazel from back in October of 1954 and the actual track looks eerily similar to the current track of Hurricane Matthew. Unfortunately I don't have access to the upper level wind charts of how the atmosphere looked when Hazel made landfall in North Carolina so there could have been a different set of pressure patterns at play back then. We shall see what the future holds and if Matthew is more trouble than what we currently suspect!

2 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

Someone on my Facebook page posted the track of Hurricane Hazel from back in October of 1954 and the actual track looks eerily similar to the current track of Hurricane Matthew. Unfortunately I don't have access to the upper level wind charts of how the atmosphere looked when Hazel made landfall in North Carolina so there could have been a different set of pressure patterns at play back then. We shall see what the future holds and if Matthew is more trouble than what we currently suspect!

I believe Hurricane Hazel was absorbed and merged with an Upper Air Low / Trough over Central Pennsylvania results were well really bad!!  Winds gusted to 90 mph in and around Philadelphia PA and inches upon inches of rain fell from Central PA Points East and Northeast.

Hurricane Hazel — A category four hurricane that smashed North Carolina in October, 1954, and then brought hurricane force winds as far inland as Canada. Passing 95 miles to the East of Charleston, South Carolina, Hazel made landfall very near the North Carolina and South Carolina border, and brought a record 18 foot storm surge at Calabash, North Carolina. Wind gusts of 150 mph were felt in Holden Beach, Calabash, and Little River Inlet 100 mph gusts were felt farther inland at Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Delaware, New Jersey, and New York. Hazel carved a path of destruction that left over 600 dead, and damages exceeded $350 million 1953 U.S. dollars.Hurricane Hazel — A category four hurricane that smashed North Carolina in October, 1954, and then brought hurricane force winds as far inland as Canada. Passing 95 miles to the East of Charleston, South Carolina, Hazel made landfall very near the North Carolina and South Carolina border, and brought a record 18 foot storm surge at Calabash, North Carolina. Wind gusts of 150 mph were felt in Holden Beach, Calabash, and Little River Inlet 100 mph gusts were felt farther inland at Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Delaware, New Jersey, and New York. Hazel carved a path of destruction that left over 600 dead, and damages exceeded $350 million 1953 U.S. dollars.

7 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

Here you go..... http://www.weather.gov/mhx/Oct151954EventReview

• wxmx unpinned this topic

Archived