Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
PTC Matthew

PaEasternWX

5 minutes ago, Bacon Strips said:

I'm talking about when the core is interrupted by land, the winds spread out more in radius , while the peak winds lower more towards the center.  Like when a top is spun.

and no, the core hasn't been interrupted yet.  talking in general terms.

sometimes u need to know general science, and not just what's written in some book about hurricanes.

That fails basic physics, sorry.  When a tropical system comes ashore, its energy source - the warm ocean waters - is cut off, meaning the sum total of energy contained in the system (barring extratropical transition going on, where energy is supplied by temperature gradients) decreases.  Basic physics then says that winds decrease everywhere.  Winds would not necessarily automatically increase far from the center.  If you'd like to argue physics, mass transfer, heat transfer and thermodynamics with me, bring it on, but you might want to read my profile first.  

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This looks to be developing a much larger eye. The old ragged inner wall looks to be collapsing and probably won't last long much longer against the intensity of that outer band/eye. That's where the highest flight level winds were observed. Maybe 25nm in diameter or more just guessing from that warm arc in the cloudtops?

Combined with the pressure fall and improving structure, this may make a run at sub 910 mb before Haiti.

4 minutes ago, andyhb said:

Please link to the papers suggesting this, you know, how scientific method is carried out.

like I said, you can't just go off of what you've read in the library.

If you've seen how many hurricanes hit land, as I have ... you'd notice their almost always a whole other beast afterwards.   winds are almost never as uniform as they were originally. 

The winds get spread out more ,  core behaves differently.

1 minute ago, Bacon Strips said:

If you've seen how many hurricanes hit land, as I have ... you'd notice their almost always a whole other beast afterwards.   winds are almost never as uniform as they were originally. 

ET transition is a totally different thing than what you are suggesting.

Just now, Bacon Strips said:

If by behave differently, you mean fall apart....you'd be correct. 

1 minute ago, Bacon Strips said:

Just be sure you're not confusing landfall with baroclinic interaction and extratropical transition...

2 minutes ago, Bacon Strips said:

do you have some sort of immune system disorder where you are violently resistant to fact?

2 minutes ago, Bacon Strips said:

Listen, please do not take this the wrong way whatsoever. I am trying to be extra polite. I am much more knowledable in regards to winter patterns and storms than I am canes, but maybe slow down a little and listen to what Andy has to say. He is a great guy from seeing him post in different aspects of meteorology so take a couple pointers from him rather than challenging him. 

1 minute ago, kpantz said:

Just be sure you're not confusing landfall with baroclinic interaction and extratropical transition...

from my experience, most hurricanes that've had a major hit with land, do turn extratropical in a wind sense wise.   (not including temperature inversions)

we don't really even know yet, how much of a land interaction there will be.

2 minutes ago, Buddy1987 said:

Listen, please do not take this the wrong way whatsoever. I am trying to be extra polite. I am much more knowledable in regards to winter patterns and storms than I am canes, but maybe slow down a little and listen to what Andy has to say. He is a great guy from seeing him post in different aspects of meteorology so take a couple pointers from him rather than challenging him. 

Just put it on ignore.  Extremely pretentious.  Will never admit when it's wrong. 

1 minute ago, Seawind said:

From the presentation and pressure, is cat 5 totally out of range before landfall in Haiti? It looks to be reorganizing well.

So far winds haven't responded upward much compared to the pressure drop to 934 MB. Now that could change in literally a moment with these things. We'll have to watch for a quick upward spike in winds over the next few hours - especially if the pressure drop continues.

URNT12 KNHC 040103
VORTEX DATA MESSAGE   AL142016
A. 04/00:45:40Z
B. 16 deg 44 min N
  074 deg 38 min W
C. 700 mb 2536 m
D. 98 kt
E. 142 deg 14 nm
F. 223 deg 128 kt
G. 141 deg 16 nm
H. 936 mb
I. 10 C / 3055 m