Newest Member
    joxey
Potential Hermine Impacts

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, NJwx85 said:

Some of the local TV and radio mets did a poor job letting people know about the potential 

We knew this was going to get close enough to cause problems as early as last weekend and you still had TV mets calling for a beautiful weekend as late as Wednesday night.

they will be playing catch up tonight and tomorrow.

Upton 
* SURGE:
PREPARE FOR UP TO 2 TO 4 FEET OF INUNDATION HAVING POSSIBLE EXTENSIVE
IMPACTS ACROSS COASTAL LOCATIONS OF LONG ISLAND...NEW YORK CITY...
CONNECTICUT...WESTCHESTER COUNTY...AND TIDAL PORTIONS OF NORTHEAST NEW JERSEY.
POTENTIAL IMPACTS IN THIS AREA INCLUDE:
- LARGE SECTIONS OF NEAR-SHORE ESCAPE ROUTES AND SECONDARY ROADS
WASHED OUT OR SEVERELY FLOODED. FLOOD CONTROL SYSTEMS AND
BARRIERS WILL BECOME STRESSED AND LIKELY OVERWHELMED.
- SEVERE BEACH EROSION WITH SIGNIFICANT DUNE LOSS.
- MAJOR DAMAGE TO MARINAS, DOCKS, BOARDWALKS, AND PIERS. MANY
SMALL CRAFT BROKEN AWAY FROM MOORINGS, ESPECIALLY IN
UNPROTECTED ANCHORAGES WITH SOME LIFTED ONSHORE AND STRANDED.
- ALONG THE OCEANFRONT...AREAS OF DEEP INUNDATION FROM STORM SURGE
AND BATTERING WAVES. STRUCTURAL DAMAGE TO BUILDINGS,
WITH SEVERAL WASHING AWAY. DAMAGE COMPOUNDED BY FLOATING
DEBRIS.

I am quite certain that there will be extreme flooding along the NJ coast during this event simply due to the ong duration.  What will NOT occur is the extreme damage we saw with Sandy (numerous homes ripped away and barrier islands split.  The initial surge will not be as impactful as Sandy.  More of a gradual pilling up of water IMO

3 minutes ago, Allsnow said:
Upton 
* SURGE:
PREPARE FOR UP TO 2 TO 4 FEET OF INUNDATION HAVING POSSIBLE EXTENSIVE
IMPACTS ACROSS COASTAL LOCATIONS OF LONG ISLAND...NEW YORK CITY...
CONNECTICUT...WESTCHESTER COUNTY...AND TIDAL PORTIONS OF NORTHEAST NEW JERSEY.
POTENTIAL IMPACTS IN THIS AREA INCLUDE:
- LARGE SECTIONS OF NEAR-SHORE ESCAPE ROUTES AND SECONDARY ROADS
WASHED OUT OR SEVERELY FLOODED. FLOOD CONTROL SYSTEMS AND
BARRIERS WILL BECOME STRESSED AND LIKELY OVERWHELMED.
- SEVERE BEACH EROSION WITH SIGNIFICANT DUNE LOSS.
- MAJOR DAMAGE TO MARINAS, DOCKS, BOARDWALKS, AND PIERS. MANY
SMALL CRAFT BROKEN AWAY FROM MOORINGS, ESPECIALLY IN
UNPROTECTED ANCHORAGES WITH SOME LIFTED ONSHORE AND STRANDED.
- ALONG THE OCEANFRONT...AREAS OF DEEP INUNDATION FROM STORM SURGE
DEBRIS.

WOW that is some strong wording

2 minutes ago, hazwoper said:

I am quite certain that there will be extreme flooding along the NJ coast during this event simply due to the ong duration.  What will NOT occur is the extreme damage we saw with Sandy (numerous homes ripped away and barrier islands split.  The initial surge will not be as impactful as Sandy.  More of a gradual pilling up of water IMO

Not saying your wrong in this thinking but if we get a loop like we have on the euro, the forward motion of a strengthening storm would pull in a good surge. 

I wonder if the NHC saw the Euro before issuing their 2 pm advisory, where they appear to have not changed the forecast track (or at least very little).  I can see ignoring plenty of models, but not the Euro, given how great its been with Sandy, Joaquin and others.  Surprised DT hasn't gone bonkers yet, as he's a huge Euro guy.  

Just now, RU848789 said:

I wonder if the NHC saw the Euro before issuing their 2 pm advisory, where they appear to have not changed the forecast track (or at least very little).  I can see ignoring plenty of models, but not the Euro, given how great its been with Sandy, Joaquin and others.  Surprised DT hasn't gone bonkers yet, as he's a huge Euro guy.  

It was an intermediate advisory so they typically don't make changes unless something major occurs.

I bet they pull the trigger on TS warnings at 5PM and I could even see Hurricane Watches being posted for the SNJ coast.

10 minutes ago, hazwoper said:

NWS disagrees

ALONG THE OCEANFRONT...AREAS OF DEEP INUNDATION FROM STORM SURGE
DEBRIS.

7 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

They will update their track at 5pm.  They usually won't do it for an intermediate advisory.

1 minute ago, psv88 said:

****. Those of us on the island know how vulnerable all of our favorite summer spots are to these types of events. Really unfortunate and sad. Not celebrating this one. After spending a week in the Hamptons and Montauk, i will be sad to see those beaches torn to shreds.

I said the other day that it would be a shame if our beaches were destroyed, the rest of our coastline was damaged and the drought stricken areas didn't even get a good soaking

****. Those of us on the island know how vulnerable all of our favorite summer spots are to these types of events. Really unfortunate and sad. Not celebrating this one. After spending a week in the Hamptons and Montauk, i will be sad to see those beaches torn to shreds.

I just went out to Montauk last week with my two oldest kids to see the light house and spend time at the beach. It was the first time in 30 years since I was there. I agree with you wholeheartedly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Rjay said:

I said the other day that it would be a shame if our beaches were destroyed, the rest of our coastline was damaged and the drought stricken areas didn't even get a good soaking

A damn shame. This is why tropical threats don't excite me. They simply destroy beaches, which is half the reason i continue to live on this overcrowded, overpriced strip of land.

A damn shame. This is why tropical threats don't excite me. They simply destroy beaches, which is half the reason i continue to live on this overcrowded, overpriced strip of land.

Agree, but it's nature.   Natural disasters have hit beaches forever.  The issue is we continue to build in areas that have no business having development on them.

Just now, psv88 said:

Usually they speed up and weaken at this latitude so we get the beneficial rains (sometimes too much like with floyd) but don't have to worry about the winds and damage. This time its the opposite. Nothing beneficial about it 

Yeah pretty much. I was more optimistic yesterday but that Euro run put a big pit in my stomach. Places that usually flood in these events are in real trouble.

2 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Agree, but it's nature.   Natural disasters have hit beaches forever.  The issue is we continue to build in areas that have no business having development on them.

True. To be fair, most of the LI barrier beaches are state, county, or national parks with little to no development. Luckily the north shore has enough elevation that only the marinas and immediate shoreline locations will be impacted. I will be taking a drive down to Halesite in Huntington Monday morning, area usually floods in these setups.

• Rjay locked this topic

Archived