Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential Hermine Impacts

Zelocita Weather

Just now, Rjay said:

While I agree this isn't Sandy I disagree that this is like any of major noreaster.  This storm looks like it's going to sit off the Delaware coast for days and pile the water into the shoreline for many many high tide cycles.  I'm expecting severe coastal flooding as of now and winds strong enough to knock out power along the coast.  I think at the very least coastal residents on the Jersey Shore should think about evacuations.

this is how you disagree with a statement and provide reasoning. Anything else will be deleted.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those barrier islands flood all the time during Winter noreasters.

Big difference is those islands are mostly empty during the Winter.

And this will be stalled off the coast for days, so the water won't be able to recede.

Those downplaying the effects at the coast are just plain dumb. 

2 minutes ago, Rjay said:

While I agree this isn't Sandy I disagree that this is like any of major noreaster.  This storm looks like it's going to sit off the Delaware coast for days and pile the water into the shoreline for many many high tide cycles.  I'm expecting severe coastal flooding as of now and winds strong enough to knock out power along the coast.  I think at the very least coastal residents on the Jersey Shore should think about evacuations.

remember the dec 1992 northeaster it sat for days bringing major coastal flooding

2 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Those barrier islands flood all the time during Winter noreasters.

Big difference is those islands are mostly empty during the Winter.

And this will be stalled off the coast for days, so the water won't be able to recede.

Those downplaying the effects at the coast are just plain dumb. 

A 5' storm surge is nothing to sneeze at:

1 minute ago, Neblizzard said:

Hour 54 the 12z GFS is well east, waiting for later panels to see if she starts to retrograde.  No rain on the NJ coast as of 18z Sunday.

1 minute ago, Snow88 said:

It's not well east

Just now, Metsfan said:

12z gfs looks identical to 6z at hour 60. Maybe a hair s and e of 6z

Just now, NJwx85 said:

The 12z GFS is West of 06z. 

LOL! :facepalm:

4 minutes ago, nycwinter said:

remember the dec 1992 northeaster it sat for days bringing major coastal flooding

I meant to say I don't think this is your typical strong nor'easter.   Plus many of the models show this hanging onto or regaining tropical characteristics which is also what might save us from a really expansive wind shield.  Regardless this should be a damaging storm for our coastline.

8 minutes ago, Rjay said:

While I agree this isn't Sandy, I disagree that this is like any of major noreaster.  This storm looks like it's going to sit off the Delaware coast for days and pile the water into the shoreline for many many high tide cycles.  I'm expecting severe coastal flooding as of now and winds strong enough to knock out power along the coast.  I think at the very least coastal residents on the Jersey Shore should think about evacuations.

I meant the rain/wind would be like any other nor'easter.  The coastal flooding will likely be significant to major (to me the words are pretty similar) with the storm stalling for a couple of days, but that doesn't mean one evacuates entire islands, IMO.  Areas that didn't flood for Irene or the '92 nor'easter are unlikely to flood for this storm and this storm is not going to have flooding anywhere near what we saw for Sandy, which was 5-6 feet more than any other storm in recorded history, iirc.  My point isn't that there won't be major flooding - it's that it won't be catastrophic (like Sandy), meaning mandatory evacuations are unnecessary.  

Just now, RU848789 said:

I meant the rain/wind would be like any other nor'easter.  The coastal flooding will likely be significant to major (to me the words are pretty similar) with the storm stalling for a couple of days, but that doesn't mean one evacuates entire islands, IMO.  Areas that didn't flood for Irene or the '92 nor'easter are unlikely to flood for this storm and this storm is not going to have flooding anywhere near what we saw for Sandy, which was 5-6 feet more than any other storm in recorded history, iirc.  My point isn't that there won't be major flooding - it's that it won't be catastrophic (like Sandy), meaning mandatory evacuations are unnecessary.  

I don't know if we can really say that. Sandy came onshore fairly quickly and Irene came up from the south and was gone in a day. Having a hurricane/TS offshore for up to 72 hours is pretty unprecedented

• Rjay locked this topic

Archived