joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential Hermine Impacts

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm safe from Hermine here in Dale City. We are pretty far from the coast. We'll see a few cirrus and some increased humidity. Saturday is going to be a gorgeous day for swimming in the outdoor pools. I feel real sorry for you folks on the eastern Shore, you will probably get thrashed pretty good. Get to high ground NOW!!!

This is why I dont have beachfront property.

2 minutes ago, wthrmn654 said:

When I bought a new truck,Sandy hit,I just bought a new house,now Hermine going hit.. I'm seeing a trend

I am very very glad i dont live in New York City. One day a cane will hit that city so bad......... It would be no fun with tons of salt water pouring into the subways

1 hour ago, wthrmn654 said:

Your kidding right? The models have been back and forth. Gfs,hasn't been stellar, Euro has been better again. Tricky setup period. Things can change easily. 

This is still a few days out, but right now I wouldn't be that scared for major effects on LI besides the back bay vulnerable areas like Freeport, and the usual areas like Sea Bright that get battered on the NJ shore. The evacuation calls are unwarranted unless we see a major shift west tomorrow. Sandy and Irene were more clear cut than this at this point, and even then Mayor Bloomberg called Sandy "just a nor'easter" for NYC at this stage which he deservedly got killed for. 

Even so, major surge wouldn't be caused unless Hermine left-hooked right into NJ, which would back the winds to E and ESE north of the track. Irene as a borderline hurricane made landfall in Coney Island and the surge wasn't that bad. The biggest threat IMO would be a few days of beach erosion caused by high waves and tides, and back bay flooding, not a surge. That would certainly be a big annoyance, but unless there's a significant enhancement of the threat, not a cause for evacuations outside of the lowest lying areas.

31 minutes ago, mophstymeo01 said:

What strikes me is what several of the professional mets are saying -- irrespective of some statements here tonight -- that the uncertainty level still remains very high.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm sure mets are saying there is still some uncertainty, because there is, but I guarantee you every one of them wlll tell you that the uncertainty level now is much less than it was 30 hours ago, since we're 30 hours closer to the event and Hermine is far better defined/sampled than it was then (better initial conditions for the models).  I've probably done as much computational fluid dynamics modeling as most pro mets, albeit on different systems at different scales (chemical reactors), but the equations are essentially the same, as are the models used to predict future states based on current states combined with a fundamental phenomenological understanding of the chemical and physical processes involved.  

The next few model runs should be interesting to say the least, still plenty of uncertainty as far as I am concerned. I certainly don't think this will be a non event by any means just a difference in impacts depending on your location. I am very concerned about the coastal flooding impacts in the region especially if Hermine stalls for a prolonged period of time like some of the models are showing.

It is becoming clear this will stall and loop off the NJ/Del (MA) coast for at least 48hrs (crazy to think more possible also)...  This is extremely rare for a tropical system here, hell the h5 setup is very unordinary for a east coast tropical system.   So this seems like a rare event.  Taking all this into account, we shouldn't play around, at least not yet.  The shore needs to take this seriously.   No its not sandy but this will really test things post-sandy.      We continue.... 

You don't need a lot of precip for major coastal issues. Think back to Halloween 1991.  Also mandatory Evacs would only happen by me if we have greater than 4 foot water rise.   I'll be meeting with local Ema officials today beginning at 5 am with latest. I'll be in Asbury park and my news 12 colleague tony will be covering ocean county beaches this morning.  

• Rjay locked this topic

Archived