joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential Hermine Impacts

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure how well hurricane models catch things like mid-latitude captures, but the 18z models thus far seem to show a further east track initially, which forces any capture to be SE enough where the coast gets lashed but not annihilated like some 12z models. The rain would be nice but hopefully for the sake of the beaches the SE track wins out. If I had to wager a guess, that's what I'd bet on. 

Even though I posted the 18z hurricane models(models do not have sounding information(this is key)) it is still greater than 66-72 hrs out( For mid-Atlantic region to be exact). They may trend westward at 00z(the next sounding ingest).

12 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

They are not ots

Sorry I probably should have specified they are out to sea for the mid Atlantic concerns. They obviously all make landfall and and are not OTS for the southeast. I meant for up here its OTS. And it will be pretty ugly with winds and beach erosion on the immediate coast even with the track being OTS   But those all show a pretty insignificant event for the major populations in this region. 

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

Sorry I probably should have specified they are out to sea for the mid Atlantic concerns. They obviously all make landfall and and are not OTS for the southeast. I meant for up here its OTS. And it will be pretty ugly with winds and beach erosion on the immediate coast even with the track being OTS   But those all show a pretty insignificant event for the major populations in this region. 

Yes. Because its going into an extra-tropical transition; The wind field expands.

48 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Umm yes all of those look OTS to me.  I'm not sure what all the hype is either unless it's purely about the beaches. I am worried about my families place in sea isle nj on a barrier island and a 970 hybrid low stalled just offshore will suck for beaches and coastal flooding but anyone more then a few miles inland expecting some exciting storm will probably be letdown when it's 2 days of breezy showery weather. Of course it bears watching in case guidance shifts but what is depicted now is not a big deal other then immediate coastal concerns. 

Ummmm really no dude .

Did you happen to look at what is under all those centers of LP at 12z  ? 

There are 50 to 70 knot gusts along the CNJ shore line 

The center retrogrades and there's a 24 hour long easterly fetch. 

So of course we are talking about the shore line .

There's beach erosion and high winds in areas where people live.  Maybe you don't live on a barrier island or along the shore and that`s fine ,  but no I mean non of the 12z global models were OTS and that was his post. 

19 minutes ago, Metsfan said:

Yes. Because its going into an extra-tropical transition; The wind field expands.

Well yes it's definitely a windy rainy day as depicted on those models he posted but he was posting all these maps that clearly showed an OTS track with nothing close to a landfall and then saying it's not OTS. Maybe he was thinking this was like a winter storm where a track like that would be good for snow. If your actually rooting for exciting weather from a tropical system that's not a good track. And if you live in a barrier island by all means I'm not diminishing this as the flooding could be bad but I was confused because all day I was seeing hype in texts and on Twitter then looked at guidance this afternoon and was like huh?   It sucks for beaches but how many here really live within a few miles of the water?  For everyone else do you really want to see beaches washed away while it's just a breezy showery day at your house 15 miles inland?  I think some are thinking models are showing some driving rain with 50 mph winds and that's not really what I see. Now it's close enough to being that to watch it for a west shift but if the current track 150 miles or more OTS holds its not a significant event for non immediate coastal locations. 

Beaches from Toms River to Rehoboth beach don't need a strike for the water to pile up.

The system backs in from the east. 

There is 28c water just S of AC the fact that 70 knot gusts and and easterly fetch for an extended period of time really erode that re done coast.

Clearly this is a bigger deal at the shore than those west,  but this should deepen once off OBX and where it occludes is where the most damage is done. 

9 minutes ago, PB GFI said:

Ummmm really no dude .

Did you happen to look at what is under all those centers of LP at 12z  ? 

There are 50 to 70 knot gusts along the CNJ shore line 

The center retrogrades and there's a 24 hour long easterly fetch. 

So of course we are talking about the shore line .

There's beach erosion and high winds in areas where people live.  Maybe you don't live on a barrier island or along the shore and that`s fine ,  but no I mean non of the 12z global models were OTS and that was his post. 

Ok this is becoming a dispute over expectations but there were people 20 miles inland expecting heavy rain and wind. Yes right on the coast will be very windy as with EVERY nor'easter. And there will be bad flooding as happens every 5-10 years or so. I grew up in nj. My dad is from wildwood. I am well aware of the climo. But the model consensus for NYC right now is maybe half an inch of rain and 25-30 mph wind. If it shifts west that could be worse but as is it's not a significant event away from the immediate beaches. If your just talking about beaches yes this looks bad but others were seeking to expect bad weather inland too. 

4 minutes ago, NutleyBlizzard said:

Anyone else see an ongoing trend here the past couple of days? 12Z models show a big hit... 18z storm starts to trend east... 0z storm stays offshore... 6z storm is coming back west... 12Z back to the big hit! :unsure:

yeah I noticed that too so I guess we should anticipate crappy runs for the 0z tonight

5 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Ok this is becoming a dispute over expectations but there were people 20 miles inland expecting heavy rain and wind. Yes right on the coast will be very windy as with EVERY nor'easter. And there will be bad flooding as happens every 5-10 years or so. I grew up in nj. My dad is from wildwood. I am well aware of the climo. But the model consensus for NYC right now is maybe half an inch of rain and 25-30 mph wind. If it shifts west that could be worse but as is it's not a significant event away from the immediate beaches. If your just talking about beaches yes this looks bad but others were seeking to expect bad weather inland too. 

OK fair enough. My focus was at the shore from Monmouth and  Ocean County on S down towards DE.

I'm in Brick on  Sunday  and I don't think that area looks good right now. 

• Rjay locked this topic

Archived