Newest Member
    joxey
Potential Hermine Impacts

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, ag3 said:

Largest tide rises I see are for the Western LI sound, in where Sandy mostly spared, due to it coinciding with low tide.

Hermine looks like it's coming right at the high tide and the 2:50am high tide in the western LI sound could be major trouble.

This is exactly where I am located . I'm about three blocks from the throgs neck . we got hit hard during sandy flooding but nothing crazy . My gut feeling is this time around we might be getting it a lot worse ....

2 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

SNJ absolutely destroyed Sunday night.

"Destroyed" implies a cat 5 hurricane where there would be pretty much nothing left. This would cause a lot of damage, but it's not as if it would wipe south Jersey off the map. Saying "destroyed" is going way too far. Most places recover from cat 1 hurricane type winds just fine. 

Cat 1 into SNJ.  The barrier island and every shore line will take a beating with the duration. 

50 to 70 mph sustained winds coming in from the East and ENE will drive a 5 plus foot storm surge into the coast. 

Then add hugh tide,  with wave on top of that. 

Where are my 2 favorite  posters who said , no hurricane and no rain for NYC and NJ.

Just now, winterwx21 said:

"Destroyed" implies a cat 5 hurricane where there would be pretty much nothing left. This would cause a lot of damage, but it's not as if it would wipe south Jersey off the map. Saying "destroyed" is going way too far. Most places recover from cat 1 hurricane type winds just fine. 

The Euro has a panel showing sustained E winds of 70+MPH with higher gusts coming straight into Cape May County and then rotating South into the DE Bay as the center makes landfall near there.

That area isn't capable of handling that type of wind.

1 minute ago, NJwx85 said:

The Euro has a panel showing sustained E winds of 70+MPH with higher gusts coming straight into Cape May County and then rotating South into the DE Bay as the center makes landfall near there.

That area isn't capable of handling that type of wind.

It would be very bad and a lot of damage, but "destroyed" implies that it would be complete ruins like after a cat 4-5 hurricane. That is not going to be the case. 

I'm starting to get more concerned for the LI shore areas (NJ is another story, they're in for a massive pounding). The trends west today are a little alarming. If the Euro's right and the low heads into S NJ, the winds will turn to E or even ESE, which would drive the surge into NY Harbor again. And the new moon doesn't help things at all. Areas that usually flood in coastal flood events should really start getting concerned. And small nudges in the track can make a difference, particularly in the NYC area which would be much worse off with an east wind than a NE wind. The warm water is also very concerning-I can buy it ramping back up to 75-85 mph east of the Delmarva, which would kick the waves up and surge even more. 

1 minute ago, winterwx21 said:

It would be very bad and a lot of damage, but "destroyed" implies that it would be complete ruins like after a cat 4-5 hurricane. That is not going to be the case. 

Was Sandy a cat 4 or 5? What would you consider that level of damage to be?

I actually went down to Seaside the day after the storm and helped rescue people.

1 minute ago, NJwx85 said:

Was Sandy a cat 4 or 5? What would you consider that level of damage to be?

I actually went down to Seaside the day after the storm and helped rescue people.

It was horrible damage, but not destroyed. Destroyed is what south Florida looked like after hurricane Andrew. But I guess it's just a matter of opinion. 

• Rjay locked this topic

Archived