Newest Member
    joxey
Potential Hermine Impacts

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Keep in mind we have other models that would be bad but not like the Euro. If Hermine stays a good bit offshore the winds would largely be NE so the surge threat wouldn't be so bad. And the 60-70+ mph wind would be largely offshore. 

NE winds for that duration would be very bad for the Western LI sound. It's not only about ocean locations.

2 minutes ago, psv88 said:

True. To be fair, most of the LI barrier beaches are state, county, or national parks with little to no development. Luckily the north shore has enough elevation that only the marinas and immediate shoreline locations will be impacted. I will be taking a drive down to Halesite in Huntington Monday morning, area usually floods in these setups.

Long Beach still floods during nor'easters in some places and will definitely flood again this time. It's unbelievable that repairs and demolitions after Sandy still aren't completed. There's a plan to protect the bay side of the island but it hasn't been started yet, and the beach still hasn't been reinforced by the Army Corps. There are other places down there that will flood, like Freeport, Oceanside and Island Park, and they're all heavily populated. 

Just now, jm1220 said:

Long Beach still floods during nor'easters in some places and will definitely flood again this time. It's unbelievable that repairs and demolitions after Sandy still aren't completed. There's a plan to protect the bay side of the island but it hasn't been started yet, and the beach still hasn't been reinforced by the Army Corps. There are other places down there that will flood, like Freeport, Oceanside and Island Park, and they're all heavily populated. 

true, but the NE wind will limit the flooding there, those canals run N to S.

Welp, just got put on standby for work Sunday night.  Our mets must be seeing something.  For the people who are saying no one is taking this seriously, I must have answered 100 people's questions this morning worrying about this-granted, those that are from the area are more concerned than vacationers, but locals have become very storm-savvy. I even talked to a woman who knew about transitioning into extra-tropical low pressure and how that doesn't mean it's going to be less of an impact. That's a HUGE step in the right direction. 

10 minutes ago, psv88 said:

true, but the NE wind will limit the flooding there, those canals run N to S.

If the Euro's right, the wind might pivot to easterly, which is very bad for that area. The fetch and wave action will also pile water into the bays. But you're right, the wind staying NE would be crucial for the area not seeing massive flooding. 

2 minutes ago, hooralph said:

What do folks think for Rockaway Beach? I canceled a 3 night airbnb reservation we had a block from the beach and have to file an "extenuating circumstances" appeal, which I feel is justified based on Sunday on beach closure and the current NWS statements.

Sounds like a good call on your part.

2 minutes ago, hooralph said:

What do folks think for Rockaway Beach? I canceled a 3 night airbnb reservation we had a block from the beach and have to file an "extenuating circumstances" appeal, which I feel is justified based on Sunday on beach closure and the current NWS statements.

The beach is going to get pounded and there will be a lot of erosion, and there may be flooding at high tides. I doubt De Blasio would ask for mandatory evacuations but there may be voluntary ones. The area got annihilated during Sandy and took some flooding from Irene.

8 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

If the Euro's right, the wind might pivot to easterly, which is very bad for that area. The fetch and wave action will also pile water into the bays. But you're right, the wind staying NE would be crucial for the area not seeing massive flooding. 

It's also good for wind damage.  Wind damage here is way less likely on NE or ENE winds than SE.  In Sandy both Rjay and I were getting 80nph gusts if I remember right from the NE during the early afternoon but little tree damage started til winds shifted SE and they still were topping out 60-80 but roots by nature in this region are most accustomed to strong winds from the NW or NE and not SW or SE 

Just now, SnowGoose69 said:

It's also good for wind damage.  Wind damage here is way less likely on NE or ENE winds than SE.  In Sandy both Rjay and I were getting 80nph gusts if I remember right from the NE during the early afternoon but little tree damage started til winds shifted SE and they still were topping out 60-80 but roots by nature in this region are most accustomed to strong winds from the NW or NE and not SW or SE 

The highest gusts in Long Beach were around 85mph right around when Sandy made landfall in Atlantic City. I remember gusts over 60 mph from the NE but the worst was when the winds pivoted. At that point it was pretty irrelevant there as they were devastated by surge. Some roofs had serious damage-one roof of an apartment building was ripped up near the beach. And of course the vast majority of trees were either blown down or were killed by saltwater. Sandy's scars are definitely still apparent there, some houses haven't even been touched yet and have to be torn down still. 

4 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

correct, but we had little foliage going into Sandy

1 hour ago, NJwx85 said:

In my opinion the push of water will be even greater because of the long duration.

Integrated Kinetic Energy or the 'IKE'' of a storm is basically a calculation of the destruction a storm's surge can have by calculating the amount of water put into motion. 

http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/ike/Calculator_AllQuad.php

Sandy had the second greatest IKE ever calculated. 

2012-11-02_183253.jpg

5 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

You remember correctly.   

1 minute ago, qg_omega said:

correct, but we had little foliage going into Sandy

That is a good point.  I got through Bob relatively rell though in central-eastern Suffolk in 1991 with NNE-NE winds gusting to 60-80 or so at times, some trees were down but not very many.  I don't even want to know how bad it would have been with a southeast wind 

3 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

That is a good point.  I got through Bob relatively rell though in central-eastern Suffolk in 1991 with NNE-NE winds gusting to 60-80 or so at times, some trees were down but not very many.  I don't even want to know how bad it would have been with a southeast wind 

Out by JFK and the south shore of Queens, once we had the wind shift to the SSE is when we saw transformers begin to explode and the surge from Jamaica Bay overwhelm the area.

15 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

The wind damage here with NE-ENE winds took down numerous trees/wire lines. 

• Rjay locked this topic

Archived