joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May 2016 General Discussion.

Chambana

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The trees are mostly bloomed now (still waiting on the late comers), and the snow on May 15th is assuredly the last of the season. A little late to the stats party, but that makes the 2015-16 snow season the 5th longest on record at Detroit.

Longest snow seasons at Detroit (date of first flake to date of last flake)

1.) 232 days  --  October 12, 1909 to May 31, 1910

2.) 231 days  --  October 9, 1906 to May 27, 1907

3.) 216 days  --  October 20, 1916 to May 23, 1917

4.) 215 days  --  October 24, 1960 to May 26, 1961

5.) 212 days  --  October 23, 1962 to May 22, 1963

5.) 212 days  --  October 17, 2015 to May 15, 2016

7.) 210 days   --  October 1, 1974 to April 28, 1975

need rain. have only had .45" the entire month. The green up is taking forever, but right on cue with the warmer weather are the bugs. the no-see-ems are horrible right now, then the blk flies and mosquitos await.

We have had a wet start to the month, over 4", but the last week has really slowed down and started to dry things out. I actually had to pull the hose yesterday to water some new bushes we had planted.

We have had a wet start to the month, over 4", but the last week has really slowed down and started to dry things out. I actually had to pull the hose yesterday to water some new bushes we had planted.

Cold high pressure north of here has dried out anything that's tried to come north.

It can dry out quick down there this time of the year. I remember when I lived in N Indiana, reading that the sun takes 3" of moisture from the soil each week this time of the year.

If you paid as much as I did for landscaping, you would water. Makes me miss my apartment days.

You'll have to forgive Alek.  He struggles with the whole concept of lawn care/maintenance.

lol @ watering already

To give you an idea of how wet / snowy / cool it's been around here, I honestly haven't had the use the sprinklers since 2012. 

If anything, the hardest part has been getting the grass dry enough to cut it between rain events. 

To give you an idea of how wet / snowy / cool it's been around here, I honestly haven't had the use the sprinklers since 2012.

If anything, the hardest part has been getting the grass dry enough to cut it between rain events.

this is so true. I remember brown, almost late-winter like lawns in summer 2012. Since then, between snow, rain, gray, etc...I do not recall sprinklers being necessary either. Healthy winter snowpack (until this year...but the un-ninolike frequency of snow/rain made up for it), excessive cloudiness, & no extreme heat has left summer lawns being naturally lush and green for several years now.

This is very true. April 2013 we had record breaking rainfall, summer 2014 was extremely wet, and record breaking rainfall

June 2015 and as well as December 2015. The poor Illinois river does not need any more rainfall for quite sometime.

The eastern half of Iowa has been generally dry for the last month or two.  I did anomalously well in April compared to the rest of the area, but in May I've only received 1.18".  Part of central to north-central Iowa has only received around a half inch.  Next week's rain will be welcome.

Archived