joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May 2016 General Discussion.

Chambana

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forecast was for sunny today. Still stuck with a deck of clouds. Could have a light frost tonight...

Chilly damp morning. Currently 52 and feels like 49 here south of Chicago in the burbs with drizzle. The worst spring I can remember

Chilly damp morning. Currently 52 and feels like 49 here south of Chicago in the burbs with drizzle. The worst spring I can remember

This is in my top 5 worst for sure.

Sun coming in now.

wisgif32.jpg

Little more accurate description of this spring would be there hasn't been any lengthy above normal temperature stretches here. Have to go back to early to mid March for anything over a week.

There's been some good, short stretches scattered about across the calendar in the last 6-8 weeks.

Sun did not last.

Yeah the deep cold last year was much worse. Heck May 31 we hit a high of 54°

While that 54*F high was awful, last year was actually a top 10 warmest May on record for Detroit. It would have been a top 5 warmest if that very ****ing last day didn't throw a wrench into things. 

And to put things in perspective:

*3 of the 4 previous Mays were top 20 warmest on record for Detroit (only May 2014 was not).

*4 of the 6 previous Mays were well above average.

*May 2011 and 2012 both featured temps of roughly 90*F or warmer by Memorial Day.

This May, on the other hand, is definitely the worst we've had in a while. We've haven't seen any 80*F+ days thus far, many areas saw measurable snow well into the month. Not to mention we have yet to officially see any clear days. 

This spring has been terrible. The winter was terrible too. One of the worst, if not the worst winter-spring combos ever IMO. Not many years can you say winter completely sucked AND spring sucked, both for totally different reasons.

I disagree. Again...this winter sucked for us spoiled SE MI snow lovers, but it's not even close to some true stinkers. Snowfall was just slightly below normal from a numbers perspective, though it was us snowcover fans who suffered most with the constant thaws and meltdowns. And yes spring has been chilly. But in the past there have been some horrendous winter + spring combos, in fact it seems like the more winterless the winter the colder and later the spring is.

Archived