• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May 2016 General Discussion.

Chambana

Yep.  Coming into this year I had a gut feeling that we would have a hot and dry summer.  Definitely not feeling that anymore.

i still like prospect for heat as we enter late summer and early spring

but the early spring modeling for dry conditions in the region is busting bad

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

0.94" of rain so far here. I don't think it's going to be a hot and dry summer. Heat will likely be delayed this summer. Area of KS and NE have really been pounded by rains this spring and that doesn't bode well for a heat ridge forming out that way.

i still like prospect for heat as we enter late summer and early spring

but the early spring modeling for dry conditions in the region is busting bad

This. We easily could still have a warm summer. Seems like the way things have progressed, something like 2010 (consistently very warm, humid and active) is more likely than hot and dry.

The analogs of El Ninos transitioning to neutral and then La Nina in summer do not have a very strong signal for precipitation, with a slight lean toward drier though several wet summers are mixed in, such as 2010. There is, however, a strong signal for warmth. I wouldn't want to rule anything out yet, but it's possible that extreme heat instances are limited and instead we get consistent very warm and humid, with more 90 degree days overall than in the past 3 summers. I forgot if 2012 broke the record or not, but 2010 did set a record for consecutive 80+ days in Chicago.

This. We easily could still have a warm summer. Seems like the way things have progressed, something like 2010 (consistently very warm, humid and active) is more likely than hot and dry.

The analogs of El Ninos transitioning to neutral and then La Nina in summer do not have a very strong signal for precipitation, with a slight lean toward drier though several wet summers are mixed in, such as 2010. There is, however, a strong signal for warmth. I wouldn't want to rule anything out yet, but it's possible that extreme heat instances are limited and instead we get consistent very warm and humid, with more 90 degree days overall than in the past 3 summers. I forgot if 2012 broke the record or not, but 2010 did set a record for consecutive 80+ days in Chicago.

2012 had 46 90+ degree days at ORD, just shy of the record of 47 in 1988.  2005 holds the record for most 80+ degree days in a year with 103.  2012 had 101 days of 80+ and 2010 had 98 days.

Yep, and that was pretty annoying we didn't at least tie that record. But do you recall if the 2010 record of consecutive 80s was also broken?

2010 had 46 consecutive 80s and 2012 had 44 consecutive 80s.  The streak in 2010 was very close to going well over 50 days as it was interrupted by one day with a high of 79.

2010 had 46 consecutive 80s and 2012 had 44 consecutive 80s. The streak in 2010 was very close to going well over 50 days as it was interrupted by one day with a high of 79.

Awesome thanks. I thought it still held the record. Recall it very well because it was my first summer in Chicago and I remember when Gino put out the PNS about the record being set.

Enough rain fell out there today, to cause some significant ponding on roadways. Was just out doing errands and there was quite a few spots where the water was 3-4" deep.

Rain has lightened up, but now the fog is developing.

1.35" of rain total.

Interesting day with these tiny little cells popping up all over.  Some have shown supercellular characteristics.  Even a few funnel cloud reports the last few hour.  

Picked up 0.36" of rain today.  My dad in the eastern QC had over an inch.

Took this cell pic at work, looking southwest towards the QC.  This persisted for over an hour as it slowly drifted from right to left.

2zhno15.jpg

Interesting snippet from Gil at NIU today.

With so much cool air in place, I do not see an end to the cooler weather
for another couple of weeks. What makes me nervous is that this pattern is
eerily similar to other strong El Ninos that we've had, and then severe
weather goes nuts in late May and part of June in our area. We'll have to
wait to see how this develops

The area around FWA got hammered with heavy rain this evening. One report of 3.43" in a couple of hours. I 69 is shut down due to flash flooding with 5 cars partially submerged in the middle of the interstate. Radar estimates, with the bullseye just west of the airport:

I'm off work til mid June because if surgery but I can still drive. I'm going to be pretty disappointed if there isn't any locally to go look at in that timeframe. Hell at this point I'll take just some thunderstorms period let alone SVR or TOR

Beautiful weather up here in the eastern part of the UP. Mostly sunny and 60 right on Whitefish Bay. Hopefully this continues into tomorrow and Thursday for sightseeing/hiking.

Have you ever crossed into Ontario through SSM?

Archived