Newest Member
    joxey
May 2016 General Discussion.

Chambana

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow

Yeah I've been following this story. All 6 vids put out by this person are well worth watching.

Apocalyptic looking.

Luckily today it was cooler there with slightly higher humidity.

Here is the link to the whole video of the dash cam. Probably the scariest video I've ever seen, including any tornado ones. If the end of the world comes, you've just had a preview of how it might end.......

https://youtu.be/aC2iPvXAggM

My dash cam would be unwatchable, and the curse words coming out of my mouth would be nonstop. I also would need new upholstery on my seat after those trees went up on the right side so close to the road.

What a terrible movie, haha

I liked it and Volcano :axe::yikes::lmao:

Speaking of hot things though, it is already 85 in Duluth. Pretty damn incredible for time of day this time of year. Already broke the daily record of 81, and certainly has a shot at the monthly record of 90. If this quick warmup is any indication of the summer we might have, buckle up.

My dash cam would be unwatchable, and the curse words coming out of my mouth would be nonstop. I also would need new upholstery on my seat after those trees went up on the right side so close to the road.

My thoughts exactly.  I can't imagine people with families and small kids in the vehicles, and how that wouldn't be an experience that would be relived in nightmares over and over again.   PTSD a real possibility for a number of folks...just a terrible situation. 

This may not be widely known south of the border but For McMurray's population is largely drawn from other parts of Canada and the people there are already quite used to boom and bust scenarios so for them, it may be a little less of a mental challenge to pick up and leave with whatever you can grab in ten minutes. As you can see almost everyone drives large trucks or campers so that if you're stranded at least you're not trying to sleep in a car. Not meaning to downplay the situation but this is an economic frontier community so the social dynamics are a bit different from let's say if the same thing happened in Green Bay or London Ontario.

So now almost all of the city's residents are either evacuated to central Alberta or waiting for flights out of more northerly work camps that were utilized for some of the evacuations. A Canadian airline (Westjet) is flying people out to various southern destinations using the smaller jets that can utilize the northern airstrip. The Fort Mac airport has been bypassed by the large fires with some damage reported, I'm not sure if it's open but by now it would be mainly incoming emergency personnel.

I imagine there will be some smoke trapped in the air mass behind the incoming cold front and the possibility of seeing elevated smoke layers over the weekend, as well as more colorful sunsets etc. I remember seeing smoke layers from the Yellowstone fires of 1988 in southern Ontario during clear weather in September of that year.

The fact is, the Fort Mac fires are not all that unusual, what is unusual is how close to a city they developed and unfortunately the planning concept of a multi-modal urban area (it's really more like eight towns strung together) separated by greenbelt is showing its weaknesses. When Kelowna BC had major fires in some suburban areas in 2003, it became evident that there needed to be a half-mile or larger separation between the surrounding forested land and the urban park setting within which numerous homes were consumed. This has led to policies of tree removal in strategic belts so that the fires will have a harder time jumping the gap into urban areas.

Archived