• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May 2016 General Discussion.

Chambana

A lot of us wouldn't be whining if we lived in a climate that still supports snow to hang around this time of year like Bo's because it is actually useful then. Snow for Chicago and Milwaukee, while a novelty, is pretty pointless this time of year because it quickly melts or turns to a slushy mess. This pattern is particularly brutal for those near a great lake because at least those inland will have days that reach the 60s in the next week. Let what Geos said sink in: for him and myself, the temps are not proffer to hit the 50s even in the next 10 days (and the average high is approaching 60).

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wasn't talking about Geos, as much as I don't like the winter talk he is objective. I was talking about Beavis who is complaining about some sort of phantom bullying.

my bad then...

he's kinda right, although I wouldn't call it bullying.  the same could be said if there was an outbreak of warmth and thunderstorms in December... would it not be ok to discuss it?  put beavis on ignore if you don't like what he posts.

for Christ sake, Stebo

my bad then...

he's kinda right, although I wouldn't call it bullying.  the same could be said if there was an outbreak of warmth and thunderstorms in December... would it not be ok to discuss it?  put beavis on ignore if you don't like what he posts.

for Christ sake, Stebo

He doesn't bother me... You are making a mountain out of a molehill. I was clarifying one thing and complaining about a weather pattern not a poster.

The pattern is wearing on an on now. Was interesting those days where it was a white out one minute and the next the sun was out. That was the most interesting weather since the sleet storm.

Been getting 2-3 warmish days and then 4 or 5 with winds off the lake. It's pretty much the same story every spring, but this month it's been more persistent. The weather will do what it wants to do.

Just a few people that are within 5 miles of the lake... Alek, UMB, Bo, myself, and a couple posters in northern lower.

This week would be nice if it was actually sunny everyday, but that doesn't look likely. So yeah, it will be a drag. Time to do some spring cleaning in the house anyways.

The pattern is wearing on an on now. Was interesting those days where it was a white out one minute and the next the sun was out. That was the most interesting weather since the sleet storm.

Been getting 2-3 warmish days and then 4 or 5 with winds off the lake. It's pretty much the same story every spring, but this month it's been more persistent. The weather will do what it wants to do.

Just a few people that are within 5 miles of the lake... Alek, UMB, Bo, myself, and a couple posters in northern lower.

This week would be nice if it was actually sunny everyday, but that doesn't look likely. So yeah, it will be a drag. Time to do some spring cleaning in the house anyways.

Man it really is like a different world up there lol.  We have sunny and 70 for tomorrow, and then temps near, or in the 60s for the foreseeable future after that.  

Man it really is like a different world up there lol.  We have sunny and 70 for tomorrow, and then temps near, or in the 60s for the foreseeable future after that.  

Two days in the 70s and today with 82°. Good analogy would be I live next to the refrigerator in the kitchen, and you live in the next room.  :lol:

It is quite pleasant when you get one of those lake breezes on a hot day in July.

I live within a mile of the Lake Huron shoreline. It was interesting during the last "warm" spell when it generally hit 68-70 degrees in northern lower MI. At my house the outdoor thermometer read 52 (shade). When I drove out to my parent's house that same hour, it was 74 (shade). 

The lake breezes are only nice when it's 95 degrees out. Otherwise, they make warm spring days miserable once the wind switches off the lake. I've walked on the local bike path that follows the shoreline north of Rogers City. There have been multiple occasions where in one spot the temperature would be in the 50's and less that 100 yards away it would be in the 70's. Very interesting to walk through those temp gradients. 

I live within a mile of the Lake Huron shoreline. It was interesting during the last "warm" spell when it generally hit 68-70 degrees in northern lower MI. At my house the outdoor thermometer read 52 (shade). When I drove out to my parent's house that same hour, it was 74 (shade). 

The lake breezes are only nice when it's 95 degrees out. Otherwise, they make warm spring days miserable once the wind switches off the lake. I've walked on the local bike path that follows the shoreline north of Rogers City. There have been multiple occasions where in one spot the temperature would be in the 50's and less that 100 yards away it would be in the 70's. Very interesting to walk through those temp gradients. 

I knew there was a Rogers City poster, just couldn't put my finger on your name.

Your climate is similar to here - you probably get even more lake breezes then here though in the summer.

I've been through some of those crazy temp gradients before walking along the lake, especially in Racine and Wind Point just north of here.

I once took a motorcycle ride up the eastern coast of the state in early May. It was around 80F for most of the trip until I got close to Lake Huron and at that point my teeth were chattering for about 50 miles. Once I hit M72, I went straight west and it didn't take long for improvement.

I can't get over the absolute lack of severe weather either. Not a single system ramps up within the next week here and even then the southern Plains only look to have one real tornado day. I will say I'll take a quiet early part of May if it means that the second half will deliver

Climo suggests it's way too early in the season for us to be seeing much in the way of severe weather. Thus, I have very low expectations for any activity in April / May.

Historically, the peak of severe weather season in our region isn't until late June / early July. And for the past decade of so, August has been the most active month (which is funny considering it's also traditionally one of the driest months).

44°, damp and cloudy for the first day of May.

Grass is green like Ireland's, but the trees are running behind. Really hoping for some 50s at least this week.

Indeed.

We need a couple days in the 80s (and that ain't happening any time soon) for a more rapid bloom.

Indeed.

We need a couple days in the 80s (and that ain't happening any time soon) for a more rapid bloom.

Can't even buy a 70 to speak of. Just 3 days this year AOA 70°. GFS is kind of back and forth on temps, cooler as you go east.

Archived