• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
May 2016 General Discussion.

Chambana

It was 78° and humid when I left my daughter's graduation at Ball State in Muncie this afternoon. Drove 50 miles through the front and arrived home to 66° and very windy.

Congrats!  :beer:

Turned out to be a real nice day here.  Only a few sprinkles this morning, and had some sun mixed in all afternoon.  Temp reached 70.  Noticed the first hint that the gnats are starting to become more of an issue this evening.  Only a few so far.  Hope they don't get as thick as the last few springs.  

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These are the results of spring 2016 so far with March and April combined, pretty well speaks for itself. Literally not a cold anomaly to be found in the US besides the very very far NE corner of the country.

In this neck of the woods, the warm anomalies are due mainly to the last 3 weeks of March. It was quite a potent warm spell for much of March after a wintry first week. The march+April breakdown at DTW is 29 days colder than normal, 29 days warmer than normal, & 3 days exactly normal.

Speaking of blooming, the trees have exploded in blooms the last few days, however my brother drove from Chicago to Detroit this morning and said that it's crazy how much more bare the tree landscape is the farther east you drive in MI. This strikes me as odd seeing as though the latitude is the same.

Lastly, I don't know what kind of tree this is, but thought the yellow flowers were kind of unusual.

4625-800.jpg

First, nice pic!

Second, as far as the bolded, I'm sure below is part of the reason is shown in the image below. 

Chicago has had ten 70*F+ days since March (including three 80*F+ days), while Detroit has only had seven 70*F+ days (including only one 80*F+ day). 

cd2602:306:320a:d380:bdce:b1f9:db1b:7c5.

Also, you know I have to bring up sky cover. Detroit on average has many more cloudy days than Chicago, and that certainly can make an difference in the rate very sunlight-dependent plants bloom in one place versus another.

Chicago has only had 29 Cloudy days and 23 Partly Cloudy days, while Detroit has had 34 Cloudy days and 27 Partly Cloudy days

Thus, it's not always latitude alone that has an effect on things such as the rate in which plants grow, but factors such as elevation, proximity to bodies of water and even longitude as well (the same reason Chicago sees way more big dogs on average than Detroit despite both being at the same latitude).

Seems as though a constant east wind this spring has hampered Detroit and Toledo. As you go away from the lakes a bit to small cities like BG and Findlay the bloom rate exponentially increases. Except for a handful of late bloomers everything else is completely bloomed out

5924197a6c2c8db44351bd18fb6bf499.jpg

You can see here in my neighborhood everything is fully out

These are the results of spring 2016 so far with March and April combined, pretty well speaks for itself. Literally not a cold anomaly to be found in the US besides the very very far NE corner of the country.

I look at that map and just shake my head at the positive anomalies in the area. If it was by county, you'd see the local effects of the lakes clearly. So far this spring has a +0.74°. departure here - most of that is from late March, before things flipped.

Had scattered frost this morning with a low of 34°. Quite nice out now with upper 60s.

Few spring observations the first week of May. Saw a few cherry blossom trees the other day. They aren't a dime a dozen here like the Bradford pears, but they are pretty. I then realized that cherry blossoms bloom almost 1.5 months later in Detroit than in DC, the place synonymous with cherry blossoms.

Speaking of blooming, the trees have exploded in blooms the last few days, however my brother drove from Chicago to Detroit this morning and said that it's crazy how much more bare the tree landscape is the farther east you drive in MI. This strikes me as odd seeing as though the latitude is the same.

Lastly, I don't know what kind of tree this is, but thought the yellow flowers were kind of unusual.

4625-800.jpg

Great pic. I believe it is a dogwood. They are all in bloom right now.

Leaves are pretty much full grown on most trees now.  Some of the later developing trees, such as the sycamores are still not quite there yet.  Looks like July out there now for the most part, with the exception of the farm fields of course.  Noticed when I was down in southeast IL last weekend that their corn was already coming up.  Shouldn't be too much longer here.

Not too bad out there today.  A little hazy sun at times, with temps/dews in the low 60s/low50s.  So far the precip has avoided us, but should get some storms later today or this eve.  Thought about maybe running down to west-central IL and play the very low tor potential, but not sure it would be worth it.  

Leaves are pretty much full grown on most trees now.  Some of the later developing trees, such as the sycamores are still not quite there yet.  Looks like July out there now for the most part, with the exception of the farm fields of course.  Noticed when I was down in southeast IL last weekend that their corn was already coming up.  Shouldn't be too much longer here.

Not too bad out there today.  A little hazy sun at times, with temps/dews in the low 60s/low50s.  So far the precip has avoided us, but should get some storms later today or this eve.  Thought about maybe running down to west-central IL and play the very low tor potential, but not sure it would be worth it.  

Just noticed several fields outside of town have 3-4" tall corn.  Crop season has officially began.

Just noticed several fields outside of town have 3-4" tall corn.  Crop season has officially began.

Not even close to looking like July or having crops pop up here yet. Running 10-14 days behind on the trees. No tree has full leaves yet.

These lows in the 30s have to quit before any crops can be put in. Warmest low this month has been 42°.

First, nice pic!

Second, as far as the bolded, I'm sure below is part of the reason is shown in the image below.

Chicago has had ten 70*F+ days since March (including three 80*F+ days), while Detroit has only had seven 70*F+ days (including only one 80*F+ day).

cd2602:306:320a:d380:bdce:b1f9:db1b:7c5.

Also, you know I have to bring up sky cover. Detroit on average has many more cloudy days than Chicago, and that certainly can make an difference in the rate very sunlight-dependent plants bloom in one place versus another.

Chicago has only had 29 Cloudy days and 23 Partly Cloudy days, while Detroit has had 34 Cloudy days and 27 Partly Cloudy days

Thus, it's not always latitude alone that has an effect on things such as the rate in which plants grow, but factors such as elevation, proximity to bodies of water and even longitude as well (the same reason Chicago sees way more big dogs on average than Detroit despite both being at the same latitude).

Actually my brother is always saying how much sunnier it is in chicago. We have a group text with my mom and my siblings and he will always be like "it's sunny here" and it will be cloudy here.

Woops, guess I should have went lol.

Picked up 0.23" of rain this afternoon and eve.  Pretty mundane event though, as it lacked any heavy downpours and zero thunder.  

Archived