SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
April 2016 obs/ discussion

2010 extreme

• Replies 828
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very localized event. Whete it came down hard after the ice pellet onset, it stuck to everything. Completely covered roads in central eastern PWC. 150 feet elevation was the difference between 1/2+ inch and nothing. Hoadley area just west of Dale City had about 3/4 inch. Down the hill to my house barely anything. I can look out the window up the hill and see all of the snow-covered roads, roofs and lawns.

Yeah. I'd be more impressed if I saw some measurable imby, but beggars can't be choosers. I guess I'll take my T.

Eta: and holdout hope for thundersnow later

Accumulations were noticeable starting at about 300ft asl and winter wonderland at 400 feet. Elevation great factor this morning.

You guys must have gotten some really heavy stuff, accumulation never got good around here and I'm at a decent elevation considering I'm stuck inside the beltway.

At my house its 248ft. I was leaving my driveway and I made a post about some ice pellet and snow accumulation on my deck. Two minutes later at the top of the neighborhood it was a completely different story. I was amazed. Instead of mixed precipitation it was all mod/heavy snow and the temperature went down to 30 degrees even. It was a tale of 2 worlds. I had to drive approximately 4 miles to take my daughter to her mother's house and conditions varied however it was mostly moderate snow with everything covered. Main roads completely covered. It was quite an event, but arriving back to my house was a little depressing. there was little if any accumulation. My landscapers were actually cutting the lawn.

0.2" from the batch earlier this morning here in Clarksburg on 0.09" liquid equivalent. Low was 31.1F as the snow was coming down. Up to 38.7F (31F DP) now.

I was surprised I had that much, compacted a lot so I must have measured at the right time.

Archived