• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2016 Spring/Summer Banter, Complaint, Whining Thread

Wasn't 1986 the year of the floods in Flint or Saginaw or somewhere around there?

September of 86, here is a little blurb from DTX about the event

The Great Flood of September 10-12, 1986 -   During this three day period, frequent thunderstorms impacted the Saginaw Valley and thumb region along a stationary front. Rainfall totals through this period ranged from 6 to as much as 14 inches, much of which fell on the 11th. Extensive river flooding occurred as a result of these rains. The town of Vassar was inundated and substantial flooding also occurred in Saginaw, Midland and Bay City. Damage amounts were estimated at 400 to 500 million “1986 dollars”, 120 million of which was crop damage. Ten people in the state died and 22 Michigan Counties were declared disaster areas. This was the worst flooding event ever recorded in the State.

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I could count the amount of times I've heard thunder so far this spring on one hand, it's a little off topic but I was just thinking about it.

Ha, ha I know.

It's the banter thread - about anything goes.

Yeah a muted severe season was to be expected with very strong Nino conditions persisting most of spring, in fact the last 3 seasons have been sorta "meh"

Oh well.. Next year almost definitely promises to be better!

As was mentioned earlier, 2010 had a good flip in severe weather in later spring into summer so hopefully something similar happens.

Most of us are still over a month away from the climatological peak for severe weather action.

And lately (at least for the past decade or so), August has been the most active month around these parts.

Most of us are still over a month away from the climatological peak for severe weather action.

And lately (at least for the past decade or so), August has been the most active month around these parts.

For here in particular I would say July, but August is pretty active still.

For here in particular I would say July, but August is pretty active still.

July is great around here. August is ehh. But July can featute copious amounts of MCS activity from sups that originated in the Dakotas. Late-may, June and July is generally when I can expect the most activity.

I always consider derecho season is from mid June through late July for this area.  August is normally pretty meh here it seems like, although northeast IL seems to have a lot of action in August.  We've had some decent events in August, but it seems like areas north and east do better than this area.  

EDIT:  I will say though, the strongest straight line winds I've ever seen around here happened in August.  August 21 1987.  Had 80-90mph straight line winds for several minutes around 3am.  Was only 10 at the time, and it was actually very scary.  The morning light revealed a neighborhood that sustained very significant tree damage.  

I always consider derecho season is from mid June through late July for this area.  August is normally pretty meh here it seems like, although northeast IL seems to have a lot of action in August.  We've had some decent events in August, but it seems like areas north and east do better than this area.  

EDIT:  I will say though, the strongest straight line winds I've ever seen around here happened in August.  August 21 1987.  Had 80-90mph straight line winds for several minutes around 3am.  Was only 10 at the time, and it was actually very scary.  The morning light revealed a neighborhood that sustained very significant tree damage.  

Would like to say the craziest wind/wind damage we've experienced was either on June 21st 2011, June 23rd 2010, July 1st 2012, or August 4th, 2008. Crazy tree damage throughout the town/power out for a while with all of those storms. Wish I knew the wind measurements from them.Seems like the time around the 24th is always crazy. The double derecho from 2012 didn't really WOW me, even though we, again, didn't have power for a while. If I had to choose, it'd be the storm on June 23rd, 2010. Ripped the roof off of a building on Jorie Blvd in Oak Brook. Crazy experience, to say the least. Not sure if this kind of "story telling" is allowed, but though I'd share since we're closing in on that time of year. Quote from the damage: 

MEDIA REPORTS OF DAMAGE ON 22ND STREET IN OAKBROOK INCLUDE ROOF OFF BUILDING...POWER POLES AND STREET LIGHTS DOWN...AND LARGE TREE DOWN BLOCKING 22ND STREET.

I have 2 in mind. First was the remnants of Ike in 2008. Having winds from 60-70mph all afternoon was just crazy and had  no power for 2 weeks. And second was a microburst from June 23 2014. Easily 80+mph for a few minutes and couldn't see a thing with heavy rain mixed in. Actually the first time I took shelter from a storm when at home. Went out to a war zone.Trees down everywhere. Don't want to experience that again.

I have to go way back to remember any significant damage from severe storms. The July 1995 derecho, when I was only 6, produced significant damage in my area. Likewise, the downbursts related to the supercell that produced the July 2, 1997 Detroit tornado. Some straight line winds with that storm exceeded 110 mph.

Obviously, July is the month to go with historically.

This. We still have the entire summer, although, I suppose some are looking for large tornado outbreaks, etc. 

This. For those looking for a Palm Sunday/Super Outbreak type event, time is running out. As I posted on charts previously, June is by far the most active month for Indiana for wind and (mostly) EF-2 and below events.

For our area, the 6/29/2012 derecho was pretty significant for the amount of widespread damage it caused, with a 91 MPH gust reported FWA.

post-830-0-85256000-1463565388_thumb.jpg

This. For those looking for a Palm Sunday/Super Outbreak type event, time is running out. As I posted on charts previously, June is by far the most active month for Indiana for wind and (mostly) EF-2 and below events.

For our area, the 6/29/2012 derecho was pretty significant for the amount of widespread damage it caused, with a 91 MPH gust reported FWA.

attachicon.gif06292012 Derecho.jpg

Greatest severe event I ever experienced   /\ .    I regret not getting pictures of all the damage around here.

Yep, there's sort of a handoff that takes place from prime tornado outbreak season to prime derecho season.  The first week or two of June can still produce some pretty significant tornado outbreaks but there's a ceiling compared to earlier in spring.  Then the main tornado zone eases north with generally less in the way of higher end tornado outbreaks, though higher end tornadoes can still occur (Plainfield 1990, Oakfield WI 1996, Roanoke IL 2004, etc)

I remember that storm well. I don't believe any rain fell this far north, but the asperatus clouds were impressive.

post-7389-0-02947100-1463593467_thumb.pn

post-7389-0-70918300-1463593478_thumb.pn

Greatest severe event I ever experienced   /\ .    I regret not getting pictures of all the damage around here.

Ditto. Was driving home from work at the time and captured these images around Morse/Hamilton between Gahanna/New Albany. No power for 5 days in the 100F+ temps. Almost made the storm not worth it.

post-13741-0-13075800-1463596594_thumb.j

post-13741-0-19679400-1463596681_thumb.j

post-13741-0-43518700-1463596702_thumb.j

I remember a severe event, sometime in the late 70's summer of '78 maybe  It was a rather warm and windy Saturday, I think it was.  I remember my dad being home that day, so it must have been a Saturday.  Anyway, I was down the at the park with my brothers, trying to get a baseball game going.  It was pretty sunny day, and if I remember correctly pretty humid too.  The one thing that stick out in my mind from it, was how windy it was during the day, the wind was kicking up dust clouds from the baseball fields at the park,  The other thing I remember is how quickly the sky went from blue to gray to black and then to green as the storms moved it.  The other vivid memory I have of that day is the sound of tornado sirens (there were no tornado touchdowns, however) and that power went out, and didn't come on again until late at night.   I remember trees being down, and a couple of blocks away, there was a couple of big ones down in the park.  We had small branches and other detritus around our yard, and the storm blew our neighbor's garbage can into our yard as well.  

September of 86, here is a little blurb from DTX about the event

The Great Flood of September 10-12, 1986 -   During this three day period, frequent thunderstorms impacted the Saginaw Valley and thumb region along a stationary front. Rainfall totals through this period ranged from 6 to as much as 14 inches, much of which fell on the 11th. Extensive river flooding occurred as a result of these rains. The town of Vassar was inundated and substantial flooding also occurred in Saginaw, Midland and Bay City. Damage amounts were estimated at 400 to 500 million “1986 dollars”, 120 million of which was crop damage. Ten people in the state died and 22 Michigan Counties were declared disaster areas. This was the worst flooding event ever recorded in the State.

Worst flooding I've seen. Vassar was like a TWC "storm stories" clip! Damage was visible for years too. Sept '85 was actually worse further south in Genesee Cnty. from Flint over to Lapeer (I grew up right between in the burg of Davison) as a line of hvy T-storms trained along a stalled warm front and caused a ton of flooding early in the morning. Was "flooded in" as my folk's neighborhood had one exit and the water was about 8 foot deep. Only day in my whole working life I couldn't get to work due to the wx!

Really not much to discuss as the next few days look benign for the subforum, so along those lines, Jason Puma at IND offers a tip to budding forecasters in this mornings' disco (In mixed case!):

Forecast soundings again show a dry column
with convective temperatures in the middle to upper 70s.
Again...this may just result in a few diurnal cu. A wise
forecaster once said "Partly Cloudy goes a long way"
and this
will cover things here. Given the dry air mass...we like the
cooler lows and the warmer high temperatures.

still record individual months

getting excited for another low mileage clunker of a snowmobile season?

I put 2000 miles on last winter.

The planet being .8C warmer doesn't reduce my snow. Gonna need quite a bit more than that.

yeah, so many fond memories of all the great storm threads this winter

don't you have a snowmobiling board where you can summer during the off season?

It's dead during the offseason.

Most of those guys probably moved to golfing forums.

Archived