joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2016 Spring/Summer Banter, Complaint, Whining Thread

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey that 1.8 °F is going to completely change our winters

Our winters down here suck anyhow (for my needs).

My area of interest is pretty far inside the snow belt to really worry about 1.8F of warming.

As long as we are in a trough or zonal flow I'm fine. Last December we had the warmest anomaly on planet earth and that hurt me though.

Our winters down here suck anyhow (for my needs).

My area of interest is pretty far inside the snow belt to really worry about 1.8F of warming.

As long as we are in a trough or zonal flow I'm fine. Last December we had the warmest anomaly on planet earth and that hurt me though.

I think we're in a perfect spot overall but I agree. I could use a little more warmth for my golf game and a little more cold for pond hockey season but you can't have it all. There's still late Dec-early March where the ponds are frozen usually and mid April-October where the courses are playing in proper condition

I put 2000 miles on last winter.

The planet being .8C warmer doesn't reduce my snow. Gonna need quite a bit more than that.

The planet being .8C warmer has not translated to our winters, and even if it did, would have little effect on snow. And besides...you as a snowmobiler in this state have it made. Our winters down here are better than theyve ever been, snowbelts line this state, and there is always snowpack up north no matter what the winter.

The planet being .8C warmer has not translated to our winters, and even if it did, would have little effect on snow.

This is kind of a dumb assumption. I don't think you realize how significant of a global rise that actually is.

This is kind of a dumb assumption. I don't think you realize how significant of a global rise that actually is.

It's significant but the issue is that increased global temps don't show up in every region of the world in the same way. Let's go with what he said though and apply that level of warming here...an increase of 1-2F in winter in the Lakes probably isn't enough to have big effects. Most noticeable might be less snowcover days/a somewhat shorter winter season.

It's significant but the issue is that increased global temps don't show up in every region of the world in the same way. Let's go with what he said though and apply that level of warming here...an increase of 1-2F in winter in the Lakes probably isn't enough to have big effects. Most noticeable might be less snowcover days/a somewhat shorter winter season.

I understand that, but he's using the example as if it did.

I would think the second bolded thing would be a pretty substantial change, to be fair.

I understand that, but he's using the example as if it did.

I would think the second bolded thing would be a pretty substantial change, to be fair.

Josh put together a snowcover duration chart not too long ago and it had no trend either way.

I'm pretty sure this was Josh.

That is a good post hoosier and I agree, however I refuse to get roped into some debate, especially on this subforum. What I really wanted to say was "The planet being .8C warmer has not translated to our winters.", and end the sentence right there, however you simply can’t make such statements on this board without including a nod to agw or else some will immediately go on the defensive. As the planet has heated up our winters locally have steadily grown more severe over the last 2 decades, and this includes snowcover. I dont know what the future holds (no one does) but I can tell you that for anyone hoping for milder, shorter, or less snowy winters in this area as the planet heats up, things are certainly going the wrong way.

Looks like AGW got rid of severe.

Seems like as a kid we had more storms. If I hadn't woken up at 2 am a few weeks ago, I wouldn't have heard thunder once this year.

Maybe the season is just shorter and less severe.

Josh put together a snowcover duration chart not too long ago and it had no trend either way.

I'm pretty sure this was Josh.

The winters of 2013-14 and 2014-15 with their constant snowcover were not normal. A typical winter, while more snowcovered than not, will have some bare periods. So if anything, I dont even really think we would see much of a decrease in snowcover if our winters warmed 1-2F, judging by readily available data of milder than normal winters. I would think it would be the far north that would see a difference, places that always see wire to wire snowcover, with a few days chopped off at the beginning and end of the season.

Less snowcover days further south would have a positive feedback to it though, case in point the difference between a Fort Wayne winter vs Evansville is pretty substantial.

Looks like AGW got rid of severe.

Seems like as a kid we had more storms. If I hadn't woken up at 2 am a few weeks ago, I wouldn't have heard thunder once this year.

Maybe the season is just shorter and less severe.

severe is more hit and miss, and I do not follow it as closely, so i can not say with any certainty as I can with winter data...however I most definitely experienced more severe weather in the 1990s to early 2000s than I have the last 12-14 years or so. Not even close. Again though...just talking about my specific area of SE MI. You would need an actual chart of severe reports to see if theres ACTUALLY a trend.

severe is more hit and miss, and I do not follow it as closely, so i can not say with any certainty as I can with winter data...however I most definitely experienced more severe weather in the 1990s to early 2000s than I have the last 12-14 years or so. Not even close. Again though...just talking about my specific area of SE MI. You would need an actual chart of severe reports to see if theres ACTUALLY a trend.

In the 1990's summers in Howell, we had storms every other evening like clockwork in July-august. Those days are long gone.

In the 1990's summers in Howell, we had storms every other evening like clockwork in July-august. Those days are long gone.

I was doing a quick and dirty look at severe especially for DTX's area the other day. Last several years we have averaged around 120 severe warnings for the CWA, except last year which was only 67. The last year and a half has been void of severe weather which is why it seems so lackluster. I think that will change though especially going into this summer.

The 1990's and early 2000's were insane for storms. Ever since like May of 2004, which almost was like some grand finale of sorts, it seems like we can't buy severe weather outside of a few isolated incidents here and there.

It's cyclical.

We also didn't have a ton of severe weather during the cold period of the 1970s / early 1980s either, but on the flip side, the Winers sucked during the 1990s / aearly 2000s. 

It's cyclical.

We also didn't have a ton of severe weather during the cold period of the 1970s / early 1980s either, but on the flip side, the Winers sucked during the 1990s / aearly 2000s. 

While reading through the posts, cyclical is what I was thinking.  However, after thinking about it, it seems severe in this part of the country could more accurately be described a sporadic. It seems to hit in fits and starts more than a regular cycle. It would be interesting to look at the stats. If I ever get time to play, I'll check them out.

It's cyclical.

Some of my most memorable severe weather is 1997-2002. Winter in that time stretch, save for January 1999 and December 2000, was mega forgettable. A switch then flipped, & we have been getting buried in snow while severe went by the wayside.

It's cyclical.

From '74 to '84 we had plenty of severe in Genesee County where I was a youth. Wicked electrical storms, lots of severe warned storms with hail and winds, etc. Tors in '74 (half mile north of my parent's place) and narrowly missed my work office in Flint (again by 1/2 mi) in '84 just to name the 2 personally impactful.  

Can't say about the '90's as I had moved to the Northland, then to S. Bend

Don't agree with 1988 being used as an analog, that was a runaway train drought in the plains that extended into the midwest, this spring has been about as opposite as you can get both here and there. 83 isn't a bad analog though.

Don't agree with 1988 being used as an analog, that was a runaway train drought in the plains that extended into the midwest, this spring has been about as opposite as you can get both here and there. 83 isn't a bad analog though.

Took a quick look at 1966 and 1983 for Chicago...both summers had more 90 degree days than average.

Archived