Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2016 Spring/Summer Banter, Complaint, Whining Thread

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If this event isn't going to produce for us, nothing will. 2014 to now are taking subsidence and debris to a whole new level. Areas that usually do superb in these kind of setups are now looking to get shut out.

Severe weather here in Detroit seems to get more rare as time goes on.

If this event isn't going to produce for us, nothing will. 2014 to now are taking subsidence and debris to a whole new level. Areas that usually do superb in these kind of setups are now looking to get shut out.

It has been exceedingly rare for the past 10 years or so. It's either hot and droughty or cool and wet.

I understand the Michigan posters consternation with the lack of severe. However, the type of severe weather expected tonight just to your south, the squall line/derecho type event, most commonly occurs roughly along the path of today's moderate risk as the map below shows:

post-830-0-63856100-1466625466_thumb.jpg

I understand the Michigan posters consternation with the lack of severe. However, the type of severe weather expected tonight just to your south, the squall line/derecho type event, most commonly occurs roughly along the path of today's moderate risk as the map below shows:

attachicon.gifderecho-summer-climo-guast-bosart-2016.jpg

While the type of event with this particular system is not common here, the frustration is still justified.

We're at the climatological peak for severe weather (relative to the Detroit area) and things still look pretty grim as far as the potential for any action in the near future. 

This is of course on top of the past 3 unimpressive severe weather seasons that also had late starts (talking late-July / August).

Michigan's turn?

post-830-0-11317400-1466761495_thumb.gif

Are you sure that you're not from Ohio?

Nope. Detroit metro. Barely any shear with the best instability. The best shear is towards the sag valley and thumb. Big surprise there. It's been a hot zone for severe weather in recent years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's fair to say that severe 2016 has been worse that winter 2015-2016 in Michigan.

I'm not factoring in how nice it has been lately. Just the lack of traditional weather worth tracking in each of the two seasons.

I have had one thunderstorm, it was at 4 am and featured occasional lightning and no wind. Heard thunder 1 or 2 times all season.

I think it's fair to say that severe 2016 has been worse that winter 2015-2016 in Michigan.

I'm not factoring in how nice it has been lately. Just the lack of traditional weather worth tracking in each of the two seasons.

I have had one thunderstorm, it was at 4 am and featured occasional lightning and no wind. Heard thunder 1 or 2 times all season.

I am not giving up on this years severe not only because it is still June but also because some big events like Wednesday have had very close proximity to MI. Also factoring in the last 2-3 years have had late starts and July and especially August have been pretty good. Also El Nino to La Nina falls tend to have something up their sleeve with respect to severe weather. See 07/10

I am not giving up on this years severe not only because it is still June but also because some big events like Wednesday have had very close proximity to MI. Also factoring in the last 2-3 years have had late starts and July and especially August have been pretty good. Also El Nino to La Nina falls tend to have something up their sleeve with respect to severe weather. See 07/10

Yep, good points as far as the bolded, and that's pretty much where I stand.

Now come late July / early August and things are still a snoozefest, I will definitely b**ch about it.

Going farther back, I'd add 1998 as that big November system had severe wx with it. 

Going farther back, I'd add 1998 as that big November system had severe wx with it. 

Yeah though not as many tornadoes, I would also like to say 1973 also had a lot of tornadoes that fall though they were more south of the region.

Slight risk has been dropped. Surprise surprise.

Considering the forecaster, I am not surprised. It will probably be reintroduced tomorrow.

I've gotta agree with this, even though it's the summertime version of 'February's gonna rock'. I think MI going to get theirs' in the next month.

I've gotta agree with this, even though it's the summertime version of 'February's gonna rock'. I think MI going to get theirs' in the next month.

Honestly I am banking more on the fall, which is far from a certainty. I do think of the summer months August would be the one I would watch.

Yeah though not as many tornadoes, I would also like to say 1973 also had a lot of tornadoes that fall though they were more south of the region.

Considering the forecaster, I am not surprised. It will probably be reintroduced tomorrow.

Hi-Res models have consistently been showing SOME action, so there's that. 

Archived