Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
2016 Spring/Summer Banter, Complaint, Whining Thread

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just went through the storm reports for severe weather, and just to give an idea of the extent Detroit's getting ****ed in the ass by mother nature lately, I just discovered that there have been NO storm reports in Wayne County in 2016 as of today.

In fact, there have only been 2 reports total in the entire Detroit Tri-Country area since the Spring equinox. And as far as general thunderstorms, I've had 3 total since the start of Spring (between June and Jully alone, the average is about 11 or 12). :lol:

For all of 2016, there have been 5 storm reports in Detroit's Tri-Country area (4 wind and 1 hail). But the catch is 3 of those 5 reports (wind) came from a line of low-topped rain showers in mid-March that only affected the far northern suburbs. :axe:

EDIT: As far as watches, with the exception of one Blue Box for the Ohio Border counties, it's been Zilch for the entire DTX, GRR and APX CWA all season to-date. In terms of warnings, there have only been 4 in the Tri-Country area (none including Detroit proper).

That's just crazy given that we hit the peak of severe weather season 1-2 weeks ago. Needless to say, mother nature would have to dish us one hell of a backload in order for this season to be anything other than a monstrosity. :arrowhead:

I just went through the storm reports for severe weather, and just to give an idea of the extent Detroit's getting ****ed in the ass by mother nature lately, I just discovered that there have been NO storm reports in Wayne County in 2016 as of today.

In fact, there have only been 2 reports total in the entire Detroit Tri-Country area since the Spring equinox. And as far as general thunderstorms, I've had 3 total since the start of Spring (between June and Jully alone, the average is about 11 or 12). :lol:

For all of 2016, there have been 5 storm reports in Detroit's Tri-Country area (4 wind and 1 hail). But the catch is 3 of those 5 reports (wind) came from a line of low-topped rain showers in mid-March that only affected the far northern suburbs. :axe:

EDIT: As far as watches, with the exception of one Blue Box for the Ohio Border counties, it's been Zilch for the entire DTX, GRR and APX CWA all season to-date. In terms of warnings, there have only been 4 in the Tri-Country area (none including Detroit proper).

That's just crazy given that we hit the peak of severe weather season 1-2 weeks ago. Needless to say, mother nature would have to dish us one hell of a backload in order for this season to be anything other than a monstrosity. :arrowhead:

It's going to be worse than 2009 locally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you look at the percent of normal precip maps, there's a good chunk of the NE quadrant of the US that's lacking precip the past 60 days, it's not an isolated area. Quite a few areas from Detroit to Cleveland to Buffalo to Boston are running less than 50% of normal precip since early May.

What's funny is that my biggest precip event in the past 60 days was actually a snow/sleet/graupel event back in mid May. Other than that, it's been scraps of rain, with barely 3/4 of an inch total falling the past month.

post-599-0-51427700-1467848340_thumb.png

When you look at the percent of normal precip maps, there's a good chunk of the NE quadrant of the US that's lacking precip the past 60 days, it's not an isolated area. Quite a few areas from Detroit to Cleveland to Buffalo to Boston are running less than 50% of normal precip since early May.

What's funny is that my biggest precip event in the past 60 days was actually a snow/sleet/graupel event back in mid May. Other than that, it's been scraps of rain, with barely 3/4 of an inch total falling the past month.

60Day.png

Everything is dead here, don't remember the last time I've seen rain. Just the way I like my summers.

Well, I guess DTX will finally have to stop insisting what we're experiencing isn't a "drought" :lol:

The funny thing though is if the QPF amounts progged from tonight through tomorrow evening verify, those D1 splotches will disappear just as fast as they appeared.

Should note, one of the D1 splotches (the east side of Detroit) actually saw 0.5" to 1.5" of rain yesterday afternoon with the pop-up t'storms. I'm not sure how much that knocked off the deficit alone or if it were factored in the latest outlook, but the grass here is now considerably greener than it was Wednesday morning. 

The funny thing though is if the QPF amounts progged from tonight through tomorrow evening verify, those D1 splotches will disappear just as fast as they appeared.

Should note, one of the D1 splotches (the east side of Detroit) actually saw 0.5" to 1.5" of rain yesterday afternoon with the pop-up t'storms. I'm not sure how much that knocked off the deficit alone or if it were factored in the latest outlook, but the grass here is now considerably greener than it was Wednesday morning.

They have a Tuesday cutoff for those maps.

Maybe not dead, but I really enjoy dry warm summers. We always make up for it in rainy season and in winter. Right now the Northeast needs a bit of rain, especially Mass.

20160705_northeast_none.png

I tend to agree with your sentiment.

Besides, we were long overdue for this type of dry spell (and the subsequent sunshine / warmth in response) given how wet, cloudy and cool the past 3 Summers were compared to average.

It does suck that we were unlucky enough to experience this dry spell during peak sun angle (versus mid-late August when we normally do) which exasperates how dead everything looks, but oh well. It'll all correct itself eventually, I'm sure. 

Archived