CHSVol
2016 Spring/Summer Banter, Complaint, Whining Thread

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, A-L-E-K said:

it's always dead in the summer, this a board for weenies

the site being trash and constantly crashing doesn't help either

Good to know it's not just me, I have trouble accessing the site for hours at a time. 

Not weather related, but I decided to treat myself to a new 55" 4K UHD tv. Man oh man this thing rocks.

10 minutes ago, A-L-E-K said:

nice, i'm waiting until my current set dies before upgrading to 4k

Mine took a crap last week Samsung 48" LED was only 5 years old:/ I was kinda mad but deep down excited because i has been eyeing this tv for awhile. I had to order hdmi 2.0 cables,  and need to order a 4K UHD blu ray player, once the price comes down.

was streaming some 4K content off YouTube nature videos to be exact, and it really does take you to another world . I hooked my PS4 up with hdmi 2.0 and to my surprise the video quality seems slightly better, avatar looked jaw dropping.

On 7/31/2016 at 8:27 AM, cyclone77 said:

Was perusing through some old weather channel vids on youtube, and came across this short vid of extreme arctic outbreak in Jan 1985.  Current wind chill in St. Louis on the map showed -69 lol.  Unfortunately we never get a look at areas further north, but can only imagine.  Obviously that's the old chart formula.  I miss that old chart.

Here is the WGN weather segment with Tom Skilling on 1/18/1994, the last time ORD hit -20.  Several locations around the metro area have dropped to -20 since then (2/2/1996 and 1/16/2009 initially come to mind)...but not ORD.

16 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

Here is the WGN weather segment with Tom Skilling on 1/18/1994, the last time ORD hit -20.  Several locations around the metro area have dropped to -20 since then (2/2/1996 and 1/16/2009 initially come to mind)...but not ORD.

Nice vid. 

Right after the 3 minute mark he shows the noon temps and says you'll probably never see these again.  Well, the noon temps on January 6, 2014 were either the same or just a couple degrees warmer.  ;)

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

Nice vid. 

Right after the 3 minute mark he shows the noon temps and says you'll probably never see these again.  Well, the noon temps on January 6, 2014 were either the same or just a couple degrees warmer.  ;)

Yep. The January 2014 airmass was brutally cold with plenty of snow cover...but too much cloud cover and wind to allow for exceptionally low overnight temps. 

7 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

Yep. The January 2014 airmass was brutally cold with plenty of snow cover...but too much cloud cover and wind to allow for exceptionally low overnight temps. 

I'll never forget "Blizzard ion" we got 8" of snow, but what made it unique was the snow was falling at temps in the low 20's which made it easy to

blow and drift . The interstates were closer for 2 days, and the arctic airmass that settled in for practically the rest of the month was insane. 

Truly a historic winter.

5 hours ago, beavis1729 said:

Nice!  I actually used to have this on VHS back in the day.  Recorded it and a few local TV station broadcasts back then.  We got nailed with a pretty good blizzard the next month on the 22nd I believe.  Picked up over a foot of snow.  Then a few days later a hyper clipper gave us a quick 5 inches of powder, followed by high winds and widespread ground blizzard conditions.  That Jan-Feb rocked.  

Pretty cool facebook post from Tom Niziol about the "lake effect shadow" and what leads to Buffalo/Western Michigan having some of the best summers around. It's sunny and 80-90 degs June-August here nearly every year.

Geek Out Time...the lesson today..."Lake-Effect" weather occurs at ALL times of the year, just different flavors :)

Nice example from yesterday of the "effect" the lakes have on local breezes, temperatures and even cloud cover at this time of the year.

Under weak prevailing winds, the difference in the temperature of the cooler lakes and the adjacent warmer land sets up pressure differences that create local breezes that blow from lake to land.

These cooler "lake breezes" suppress cloud development because the cooler air is less buoyant. Therefore, its clear over the lakes and along adjacent shorelines but inland we see the telltale signs of cumulus cloud development as the day progresses.

This is the reason that places like Buffalo, NY see significantly more sunshine at this time of the year. They pay for it though in the fall when the land-lake temperature differences reverse and the result is much more cloud cover over and just downwind of the prevailing wind.

Yes, this occurs across ALL of the Great Lakes, being from Buffalo I chose to look at the eastern lakes today :)

Tom Niziol's photo.
Tom Niziol's photo.

On 7/31/2016 at 8:27 AM, cyclone77 said:

Was perusing through some old weather channel vids on youtube, and came across this short vid of extreme arctic outbreak in Jan 1985.  Current wind chill in St. Louis on the map showed -69 lol.  Unfortunately we never get a look at areas further north, but can only imagine.  Obviously that's the old chart formula.  I miss that old chart.

Great find..their's some really good classic weather broadcast from what I've seen on youtube

On 7/31/2016 at 9:27 AM, cyclone77 said:

The old weather channel during the 90s is what made me fall in love with weather at a young age. When babysitters came over I always made them switch it to TWC over cartoons. Really wish that station progressed instead of regressed into what it has become today. I turn it on now and I see shows like "Fat guys in the woods" during prime time...

On 8/9/2016 at 10:05 PM, BuffaloWeather said:

Pretty cool facebook post from Tom Niziol about the "lake effect shadow" and what leads to Buffalo/Western Michigan having some of the best summers around. It's sunny and 80-90 degs June-August here nearly every year.

Geek Out Time...the lesson today..."Lake-Effect" weather occurs at ALL times of the year, just different flavors :)

Nice example from yesterday of the "effect" the lakes have on local breezes, temperatures and even cloud cover at this time of the year.

Under weak prevailing winds, the difference in the temperature of the cooler lakes and the adjacent warmer land sets up pressure differences that create local breezes that blow from lake to land.

These cooler "lake breezes" suppress cloud development because the cooler air is less buoyant. Therefore, its clear over the lakes and along adjacent shorelines but inland we see the telltale signs of cumulus cloud development as the day progresses.

This is the reason that places like Buffalo, NY see significantly more sunshine at this time of the year. They pay for it though in the fall when the land-lake temperature differences reverse and the result is much more cloud cover over and just downwind of the prevailing wind.

Yes, this occurs across ALL of the Great Lakes, being from Buffalo I chose to look at the eastern lakes today :)

Tom Niziol's photo.
Tom Niziol's photo.

USA3.coastline.jpg

This lake effect happens on the bigger lakes in Minnesota as well although not as often or dramatically. I have some better more dramatic examples saved somewhere as well.

2 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

The old weather channel during the 90s is what made me fall in love with weather at a young age. When babysitters came over I always made them switch it to TWC over cartoons. Really wish that station progressed instead of regressed into what it has become today. I turn it on now and I see shows like "Fat guys in the woods" during prime time...

I was thinking the other day that it would be pretty cool if TWC (or someone else) developed a phone app that emulated the old fashioned local on the 8s with current weather.  Have several different versions of the LO8s available to choose from.  

58 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

I was thinking the other day that it would be pretty cool if TWC (or someone else) developed a phone app that emulated the old fashioned local on the 8s with current weather.  Have several different versions of the LO8s available to choose from.  

You mean like this http://weatherdaddy.us/weatherdaddy/index.html?q=48021

5 hours ago, Stebo said:

Yep, but as a phone app.  I'm surprised TWC app developers didn't develop a current version of the local on the 8s for their app.  I think a lot of people would like it over the current format, or at least have it for an option.

Total solar eclipse happens one year from tomorrow.  I've been looking forward to that date for many years so it's nice that it will no longer be years away.  It will be the first total solar eclipse that is visible from the contiguous US since 1979 and the first total solar eclipse to be visible from coast to coast since 1918.  You have to get into the path of totality to see the really awesome stuff (in this region it will be near St. Louis, far southern IL and western KY), otherwise you will only see a partial eclipse.  If you remember the 1994 solar eclipse, it will look a bit like that if you're not in the zone of totality.

22 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Total solar eclipse happens one year from tomorrow.  I've been looking forward to that date for many years so it's nice that it will no longer be years away.  It will be the first total solar eclipse that is visible from the contiguous US since 1979 and the first total solar eclipse to be visible from coast to coast since 1918.  You have to get into the path of totality to see the really awesome stuff (in this region it will be near St. Louis, far southern IL and western KY), otherwise you will only see a partial eclipse.  If you remember the 1994 solar eclipse, it will look a bit like that if you're not in the zone of totality.

a_rev.jpg

Yeah I've been looking forward to this one as well.  Never seen a solar eclipse at totality.  Was in high school in 94, and remember it looking pretty eerie outside around lunchtime.  We had open lunch, so we were able to leave the school.  IIRC we were eating at a local sub shop (Hungry Hobo) that day lol.  

Archived