• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2016 Spring/Summer Banter, Complaint, Whining Thread

24 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Yeah I've been looking forward to this one as well.  Never seen a solar eclipse at totality.  Was in high school in 94, and remember it looking pretty eerie outside around lunchtime.  We had open lunch, so we were able to leave the school.  IIRC we were eating at a local sub shop (Hungry Hobo) that day lol.  

Hopefully there's not some big MCS or nuisance clouds on 8/21/17.  I'm going to try to get down to southern IL or western KY as plan A (besides being in the path of totality, those areas also have some of the greatest duration of totality).  Hopefully won't have to go somewhere else.  Going to be a lot of pressure on forecasters to get the forecast right.   

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many of you may know (or not know) but a tradition dating back to eastern days (maybe longer?) has been an NFL pick em contest run in the sports forum.  The schedule for each week is posted typically sometime on Tuesday and participants quote the post, bold the teams they think will win, predict a tiebreaker score for the Monday night game, and the weekly/season standings are then posted on Tuesday as well.  This contest is free.  

However, last year we introduced a pay pick-em league.  This league is run using yahoo and at the end of the season the top 3 people win money (65% for 1st, 25% for 2nd, 10% for 3rd).  We are hoping to get as many people as possible to join...the more people the higher the payouts.  We will also be doing weekly winners with that payout all dependent on how many are signed up...but think $10 per week unless we have a ton of sign-ups.  

Anyways if you're interested further details are in the pinned thread on the sports side...below is the link

On August 20, 2016 at 1:29 PM, Hoosier said:

Total solar eclipse happens one year from tomorrow.  I've been looking forward to that date for many years so it's nice that it will no longer be years away.  It will be the first total solar eclipse that is visible from the contiguous US since 1979 and the first total solar eclipse to be visible from coast to coast since 1918.  You have to get into the path of totality to see the really awesome stuff (in this region it will be near St. Louis, far southern IL and western KY), otherwise you will only see a partial eclipse.  If you remember the 1994 solar eclipse, it will look a bit like that if you're not in the zone of totality.

I keep needing a reminder of this, I've been looking forward to it for like 12 years.

50 minutes ago, Stebo said:

See you in late October

#Fall2007

New paper is out about the spatial redistribution of U.S. tornado activity between 1954 and 2013.  The authors used equal time periods of 1954-1983 and 1984-2013 and found some interesting trends... namely, an overall decrease in tornado count and tornado days in much of what is considered to be the classic Plains tornado alley and an overall increase in tornado count and tornado days in parts of the Tennessee and Ohio Valleys.  They also broke down their results by season.  One thing I noticed is the increase in tornadoes/tornado days in a large area from the deep South to Michigan during Fall.  Should note that these maps exclude (E)F0 tornadoes, so they would probably look a bit different if those were included.

http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/pdf/10.1175/JAMC-D-15-0342.1

29 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

New paper is out about the spatial redistribution of U.S. tornado activity between 1954 and 2013.  The authors used equal time periods of 1954-1983 and 1984-2013 and found some interesting trends... namely, an overall decrease in tornado count and tornado days in much of what is considered to be the classic Plains tornado alley and an overall increase in tornado count and tornado days in parts of the Tennessee and Ohio Valleys.  They also broke down their results by season.  One thing I noticed is the increase in tornadoes/tornado days in a large area from the deep South to Michigan during Fall.  Should note that these maps exclude (E)F0 tornadoes, so they would probably look a bit different if those were included.

Shared that around some places. Good stuff.

6 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Thanks for posting that link. I just read a newspaper article in the Fort Wayne newspaper yesterday summarizing the results and was going to look it up. Now I don't have to. :)

7 hours ago, Hoosier said:

http://meteocentre.com/models/models.php?mod=gemreg&map=na&run=00&lang=en&mode=latest&yyyy=latest&mm=latest&dd=latest

I checked some other sites and they don't have it out to 84 so not sure if this is the only one.

We've got a GFS with hourly frames up to 120hr and a RGEM that goes out to 84hr.

This Winter's going to be hopping! 

6 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Went sky diving in Ontario today over Niagara Falls. Was the best adrenaline rush I've ever had. Would highly recommend it. A calmness went over me as we fell that I didn't expect to have. Even got to control the parachute as we fell and did a couple spins. Good times.

NO freaking way that I'm jumping out of a perfectly flying plane. I'm glad that you enjoyed it. GoPro by chance?

Archived