Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2016 Spring/Summer Banter, Complaint, Whining Thread

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting the football yanked away yet again as I was hoping to see some severe action Tuesday evening. With the slightly slower system getting the nod, LOT looks like bullseye yet again, whether winter weather or severe. I'll get awoken by a clap of thunder in the middle of the night.

/rant

I absolutely hate spring. Winter cannot last long enough nor can summer start soon enough.

December 1st through March 20th.

Ideal.

I just mean a trough and NW flow.

To me, winter is about the flow and jet. Everything else falls into place.

December 1st through March 20th.

Ideal.

I just mean a trough and NW flow.

To me, winter is about the flow and jet. Everything else falls into place.

All things considered (ie super nino) we didn't have a bad winter...but if was a matter of making out ok in a bad pattern. Every winter won't be great. Hopefully we get back to the goods next year.

Getting the football yanked away yet again as I was hoping to see some severe action Tuesday evening. With the slightly slower system getting the nod, LOT looks like bullseye yet again, whether winter weather or severe. I'll get awoken by a clap of thunder in the middle of the night.

/rant

........not even a clap of thunder.

nothing, barely a drop of rain until this morning's showers

Not buying it. According to the radar loop, the heaviest stuff rolled through your neighborhood after 11 PM last night. I'm betting you were passed out. The cell that moved through here around midnight dropped small hail, heavy rain, and had frequent lightning/big boomers. It was in and out pretty quick, though.

Not buying it. According to the radar loop, the heaviest stuff rolled through your neighborhood after 11 PM last night. I'm betting you were passed out. The cell that moved through here around midnight dropped small hail, heavy rain, and had frequent lightning/big boomers. It was in and out pretty quick, though.

barely even rained. fell apart overhead

n0r_20160316_0350.png

........not even a clap of thunder.

When I went to bed last night I thought there was no way we would get any storms over night up around our place but I was wrong. We got hit pretty good as far as lighting and thunder. Our whole house got woke up, even our dog, around 1:30-2:00 I think it was. One really loud hit was close, shook the house pretty good. I could hear the hail hitting the windows for a bit also.

The Weatherbell summer outlook is a scorcher...has +3 to +5 for basically the entire region.  To put that in perspective, those anomalies would match or exceed some hot summers like 2005, 2010, and 2012.  Of course there are more ways than one to get a summer like they're suggesting so it doesn't necessarily mean historic heat waves, but it would probably tip the odds in favor of some pretty intense heat waves.

The Weatherbell summer outlook is a scorcher...has +3 to +5 for basically the entire region.  To put that in perspective, those anomalies would match or exceed some hot summers like 2005, 2010, and 2012.  Of course there are more ways than one to get a summer like they're suggesting so it doesn't necessarily mean historic heat waves, but it would probably tip the odds in favor of some pretty intense heat waves.

Hopefully we have an active "Ring of Fire" type pattern. Hot and dry like 2012 was boring. 

Hopefully we have an active "Ring of Fire" type pattern. Hot and dry like 2012 was boring. 

Ring of fire usually shows up at some point...just a matter of how frequently.  Their temperature anomaly map is basically the opposite of what you would want though, with the warmest anomalies in our area and over toward the Mid-Atlantic/Northeast and coolest anomalies in the southern Plains.

The Weatherbell summer outlook is a scorcher...has +3 to +5 for basically the entire region. To put that in perspective, those anomalies would match or exceed some hot summers like 2005, 2010, and 2012. Of course there are more ways than one to get a summer like they're suggesting so it doesn't necessarily mean historic heat waves, but it would probably tip the odds in favor of some pretty intense heat waves.

Humid summers can not only bump up the temp anomalies but can feel much worse. You can have an unbearable summer where you are lucky if your hottest air temp is 92 or 93, but the sticky air leaves many nights in the humid 70s.

Humid summers can not only bump up the temp anomalies but can feel much worse. You can have an unbearable summer where you are lucky if your hottest air temp is 92 or 93, but the sticky air leaves many nights in the humid 70s.

I.E. the Summer of 2010, at least locally.

True

Since I mentioned 2005, 2010, and 2012, here are the number of 90 and 100 degree days at ORD in those summers with 100 degree days in parentheses.  This is only for June, July, August:

2005:  22 (1)

2010:  19 (0)

2012:  40 (4) 

Had a couple round of t'storms here Tuesday night / Wednesday. Had some pretty loud cracks and vivid lightning in fact with one round.

At least locally, this (the first strong t'storm(s) of the season) is the bellwether sign that Winter is officially behind us and we've flipped over to Spring.

But otherwise, back to our regularly scheduled program in terms of the cloudiness and boring weather. "zzzzzzzzz"

Now I know why I usually plan my yearly trip to the tropics in late March/April. This year I waited until April 30th for reasons out of my control.

To cold to go outside without being cold, and to warm for any good snow. Not to mention the persistent wind. Just brutal. By far my least favorite time of the year.

12440392_1228332073863145_24163418828441

Was poking around LOT's website and noticed they updated their tornado climatology page, and there's some pretty cool county by county images.  I was looking at mine and something that I noticed (could have noticed it before and simply forgotten) is the relative lack of tornadoes in about the central 1/4th of Lake county and extending eastward into central Porter county.  Was trying to think of potential reasons for this...population differences, poor road networks, terrain differences etc.  I'm not sure the sparsely populated argument works as the southern part of the county is more sparsely populated than the central area and has seen more activity.  Road network doesn't seem to be the answer either.  Then I thought about terrain, and there's the Valparaiso moraine with subtle elevation increases that runs through the area with lesser tornado occurrences.  At first I thought it could be a possibility but there's areas of other counties where the moraine is that don't seem to have less tornadoes.  So bottom line, I think it may mostly be luck and if not, perhaps some factor that has yet to be uncovered.  I know there's been some research into elevation/land cover boundaries and potential roles in tornadogenesis.

post-14-0-16060600-1458538455_thumb.png

After last week's severe event I thought I had mentally put this recent ****TBAG of a winter behind me.  I guess maybe it hasn't been long enough, as seeing another winter storm pass just out of reach is pretty irritating.  Just irks me that the usual areas 75+ miles north get to cash in yet again while areas further south get 34 degree rain.  This may help this winter's grade get to an even worse grade than what was rated previously.  Perhaps an F--?  

After last week's severe event I thought I had mentally put this recent ****TBAG of a winter behind me. I guess maybe it hasn't been long enough, as seeing another winter storm pass just out of reach is pretty irritating. Just irks me that the usual areas 75+ miles north get to cash in yet again while areas further south get 34 degree rain. This may help this winter's grade get to an even worse grade than what was rated previously. Perhaps an F--?

My feelings exactly. Ugh.

Archived