• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2016 Spring/Summer Banter, Complaint, Whining Thread

OMG! That's a 25-30$ shroom.

Anything but spring like up this way. 35 and rain. Probably won't make 40 today. Watching some of the prince coverage last night, was surprised to see how spring looking it was in Minneapolis.
Trees still bare and everything all matted down from the snow but 2-3" of rain should get the ball rolling. A good day to binge watch by the fire!

..... and officially snow free.

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just put down the fertilizer last weekend. Later this week will be my first mow. I guess it also depends on what type of grass you have.

Yeah type of grass is factor. I have mainly grass that does best with shade/part shade. 

I could have mowed earlier just to take out the dandelions. lol

---

KRFD - your brother definitely has some money there with all those shrooms. 

You're right Geos, and I believe the GFS and its ensembles bear out the same. I guess we shouldn't expect anything different.

Seeing the widespread 70s all around is teasing everyone who lives within 10 miles of the lake. 18z was definitely no prize. Lol, don't even want to mention what the GFS is showing in central WI on Wednesday night.

Yeah type of grass is factor. I have mainly grass that does best with shade/part shade.

I could have mowed earlier just to take out the dandelions. lol

---

KRFD - your brother definitely has some money there with all those shrooms.

One of the bigger factors for my backyard is living on a golf course. With nothing to block full sun, and overspray from the sprinklers on the green, I have to mow about every third day. Seems tedious, but it is a nice low impact workout as I continue to recover from back surgery earlier this year.

One of the bigger factors for my backyard is living on a golf course. With nothing to block full sun, and overspray from the sprinklers on the green, I have to mow about every third day. Seems tedious, but it is a nice low impact workout as I continue to recover from back surgery earlier this year.

The area of my yard that needed the cutting the most was next to my neighbor's and he puts all kinds of fertilizer on it. His yard is like a golf course!  :lol:

They put out a preliminary summer forecast calling for a hot dry summer, but at this rate I'm expecting a cold summer. I can't remember the last time the local weather service has busted this badly on a seasonal forecast. All we have is some green grass and early april type flowers out. Aside from that it still looks like mid winter 

The area of my yard that needed the cutting the most was next to my neighbor's and he puts all kinds of fertilizer on it. His yard is like a golf course!  :lol:

I'm going to rent a power-rake with an overseeding hopper. Get the thatch out and introduce some new life into the lawn.

ALEK would probably have an irresistible urge to do cartwheels in it after it's done growing in.

turf-lawn.jpg

lawn culture is so toxic

I just mowed my yard today, almost an acre, for the first time this year.  It was 3 inches to 8 inches tall with lot's of violets purple and white.  It ticks me off that I have to mow it this early.  It's full of wild flowers and of course dandelions because I don't treat it with anything.  As soon as I mow it every year it looks like sh$t because I'm killing the native growth and the invasive weeds and grasses take over.  The laws that towns impose for yardetechture, I believe, cause much more damage to the water table than farming because individuals dump far more chemicals per square foot because it's cheaper if you own a quarter acre as apposed to 500.  I do my part but it's useless.  I think it's a racket myself.  

so far the spring forecast for around here has busted badly. It was supposed to be a warm spring. Exact opposite haha. 

They put out a preliminary summer forecast calling for a hot dry summer, but at this rate I'm expecting a cold summer. I can't remember the last time the local weather service has busted this badly on a seasonal forecast. All we have is some green grass and early april type flowers out. Aside from that it still looks like mid winter 

I'm getting majorly pissed off now, everything weather-related is really caca with shades of 2014's level of stench. You are correct about it supposedly being a very warm Spring and I don't think a string of above normal sunny days with nothing but below seasonal surrounding it counts for much. The seasonal forecast isn't close, plus all the weather outlets here are getting pretty much everything else wrong too. I don't even bother looking anymore because its that bad (accuracy of the forecast).

Just reading "expecting a cold summer" sends chills through me. I do not believe that will happen, but if hell freezes over I think I'd have to make a trip down to Arizona, really don't care because my sanity would need it. I'm holding out hope something wild happens later on that's a "good" thing because of the unusual set of Spring regimes. Can't have another June like last year either.

It wouldn't be as bad if there was actual neat severe happening in the US with major tornado outbreaks and so forth, with yesterday's nonsense I'm really amazed this trainwreck is still ongoing down there. Why the hell is every Spring turning into this? It better be hotter than 1911 this upcoming May here.

Not the best idea to go from your backyard. Spring indeed has been above average in the OV.

Understandable and to be fair we are still a tad above normal if you go from march 1st-April 28th  (due to early march). The one thing I will slightly argue is that the forecast I'm talking about isn't including the OV. My backyard is vastly different from the OV. I have much more in common with upstate NY. So the OV being above average doesn't really matter since were 500 miles away. 

I'm getting majorly pissed off now, everything weather-related is really caca with shades of 2014's level of stench. You are correct about it supposedly being a very warm Spring and I don't think a string of above normal sunny days with nothing but below seasonal surrounding it counts for much. The seasonal forecast isn't close, plus all the weather outlets here are getting pretty much everything else wrong too. I don't even bother looking anymore because its that bad (accuracy of the forecast).

Just reading "expecting a cold summer" sends chills through me. I do not believe that will happen, but if hell freezes over I think I'd have to make a trip down to Arizona, really don't care because my sanity would need it. I'm holding out hope something wild happens later on that's a "good" thing because of the unusual set of Spring regimes. Can't have another June like last year either.

It wouldn't be as bad if there was actual neat severe happening in the US with major tornado outbreaks and so forth, with yesterday's nonsense I'm really amazed this trainwreck is still ongoing down there. Why the hell is every Spring turning into this? It better be hotter than 1911 this upcoming May here.

I never did get the calls for an above average Summer with tons of severe weather, other than the fact that we may be transitioning to a La Nina.

In fact, rainy patterns across our region and the Plains states in the preceding Winter / Spring tends to be a pretty bad sign if you're hoping for a lot of Summer heat. 

The weather doesn't get much uglier than today. I thought Madison would prove to be decent today, being away from the lake and looking like the rain was going to mainly pass to the south. I was wrong, more 40s and clouds, and this time high end moderate rain to boot. 60s are going to feel amazing.

Not a big fan of COD's new color table/scheme for the surface-based cape for the GFS.  They still haven't added what should be an obvious addition, which is the 10m wind fields to the surface tab.  Weatherbell continues to run like crap for me as well.  Twisterdata looks exactly like it did back in 2009.  Guess they don't want to keep up with the times?  Sorry, just a few random rants on this late Saturday night.  Carry on.

Not a big fan of COD's new color table/scheme for the surface-based cape for the GFS.  They still haven't added what should be an obvious addition, which is the 10m wind fields to the surface tab.  Weatherbell continues to run like crap for me as well.  Twisterdata looks exactly like it did back in 2009.  Guess they don't want to keep up with the times?  Sorry, just a few random rants on this late Saturday night.  Carry on.

Pivotal > All. Love their site, although I'd love to see lapse rates added. LR looks like we'll begin to warm back up. 

Pivotal > All. Love their site, although I'd love to see lapse rates added. LR looks like we'll begin to warm back up. 

Pivotal is quickly getting there to be sure.  However, they need to add the hours mouseover function slider to make it fully functional.  Very convenient feature that COD/Weatherbell has had for a few years now.  

TVN is shutting down...Probably my favorite website in spring/summer to watch tornadic outbreaks. Pretty bummed...Hopefully a website can replace them...

Say wat. I remember their promotion schemes and one was spreading their link or something to get ballots in a draw to go on a free storm chasing tour, would've been decent instead of having to pay thousands out the nose.

I never did get the calls for an above average Summer with tons of severe weather, other than the fact that we may be transitioning to a La Nina.

In fact, rainy patterns across our region and the Plains states in the preceding Winter / Spring tends to be a pretty bad sign if you're hoping for a lot of Summer heat. 

Probably just because its been 4 years. Garbage streaks need to end. ENSO changing should do the trick but if not, vacation time  :unsure: . That 2nd point is what worries me, the magnitude of bust from TWN here in Canada would be their most embarrassing in history by far and I would not be shocked to see them sweep it all under the carpet. If the unthinkable were to pan out, I don't expect a verification on the seasonal outlooks.

Twisterdata looks exactly like it did back in 2009.  Guess they don't want to keep up with the times?  Sorry, just a few random rants on this late Saturday night.  Carry on.

That's probably for the best, change for the sake of change is never good.

That April sucked. While I was enjoying a heatwave about a year ago, now its just sitting in the mud. 7-day is bad. Accuracy is still off as the cloud shield messed up Saturday when it was shown to be sunny most of the afternoon.

Pivotal is quickly getting there to be sure.  However, they need to add the hours mouseover function slider to make it fully functional.  Very convenient feature that COD/Weatherbell has had for a few years now.  

Oh yes, that would be nice. I still use the slider like on COD, though. Still waiting on a good app for Android to view models with.. 

Bo and I chatted about this a few months ago...but for any others who are interested, I put together a climo summary of Minocqua, WI.  It's in the north woods of WI, and I hope to retire there someday.  A beautiful area with lakes, black spruce trees, log cabins, snowmobiles, ice fishing, and many other winter activities.  I visited there several times in the summers and winters during the 1990s and 2000s, and fell in love with the town and the people.

Minocqua is right on the edge of the Lake Superior lake effect belt.  Some years see significant lake-effect snow, and other years see relatively little.  Snowfall increases dramatically to the NW of Minocqua, and decreases dramatically to the SE.

Records go back to 1904, although there is some missing data.  Snowfall data is only analyzed since 1950, as the pre-1950 data is poor quality.

Before looking through the data, I knew that Minocqua had significantly colder and snowier winters than Chicago…but the difference is even more impressive than I thought.  And, even the summers in Minocqua are quite a bit cooler than Chicago…especially the nighttime lows.  I didn’t think the summertime temperature difference would be as drastic. 

I’ll try to summarize some monthly numbers in a later post, along with other anomalous/anecdotal info.  One quick note - their warmest January on record (22.5 degrees in 2006) is roughly a "normal" January in Chicago.  This is one example that shows how different the climate is between N WI and N IL.  It really is amazing.

Station info

Station Network:                  GHCN:COOP

Station ID:                              USC00475516

Station Name:                       MINOCQUA

Latitude:                                45.8864

Longitude:                             -89.7322

Elevation:                              1601.1 ft

State:                                      WI

Sunrise/sunset

June 21 sunrise:   5:11 AM

June 21 sunset:    8:55 PM

Day length:          15 hours, 44 min

Dec. 21 sunrise:   7:31 AM

Dec. 21 sunset:    4:10 PM

Day length:           8 hours, 39 min

All-time temp records

Max temp:                                    106 on 7/13/1936

Min temp:                                     -48 on 1/28/1915, 2/3/1996

Snow depth

Max snow depth:                           46” on 2/6/1971

Avg. peak annual snow depth:         23.0”

Lowest peak annual snow depth:     12” in 1958

Early/Late snowfall extremes

Earliest T of snow:                T on 9/18/1991

Earliest 1” of snow:              1.0” on 10/1/2003

Latest 1” of snow:                2.5” on 5/17/1997

Latest T of snow:                  T on 5/30/1947

Annual snowfall averages and extremes

Avg. annual snow:                96.2”

Max. annual snow:               168.9” in 1996

Min. annual snow:               38.9” in 2010

Snow Depth Days and snow cover

Avg. annual SDDs:                        1,593

Max annual SDDs:                        3,330 in 1971

Min annual SDDs:                         646 in 2011

Longest consecutive snow cover:    175 days (11/10/1995 to 5/2/1996)

Extreme cold

17 days with a low temp of -40 or colder (on average, 1 day every 6 years)

201 days with a low temp of -30 or colder (on average, 2 days per year)

A typical winter sees a coldest temp of -31.  Only one year failed to hit -20 (-18 in 2010).

Annual temperature normal and extremes

Largest temp variation in a calendar year:      146 degrees (-40 to 106 in 1936)

Avg. Max temp:                    51.3

Avg. Min temp:                     28.5

Avg. Mean temp:                 39.9

Warmest year:                     44.2 in 1998

Coldest year:                        35.7 in 2014

Sub-32 degree highs:          Avg. = 86

Most = 116 in 2014

Fewest = 54 in 1931

Sub-zero lows:                    Avg. = 44

Most = 74 in 1943

Fewest = 17 in 2006

90-degree days:                   Avg. = 3.7