Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2016 Spring/Summer Banter, Complaint, Whining Thread

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bo what's the latest you have observed snow up there? Can the summer nights dip into the lower 40s?

Last year I had 1" of snow on May 19th, and my last freeze was on June 1st at 29 degrees.  The last frost was June 19th when it dipped to 35.  As far as 40's in Summer, it's very common.  My average low at the peak of Summer is 53 degrees.  Last July I had 8 nights in 40's (the coolest being a 42 on July 1st and 43 on the 15th), the same number of 40's in August as well and even 36 August 27th when I had a patchy frost (the pic).  So I was frost free for 67 days.  July and August of 2014 both had 13 nights in the 40's (the lowest being 43). And.... July 2nd 2013 had a low of 38.

Hard to grow a Garden at my location.  Leaves begin changing in ernest around the 3rd week of August and peak the last week of September usually.  Pretty fascinating climate to live in.

Last year I had 1" of snow on May 19th, and my last freeze was on June 1st at 29 degrees. The last frost was June 19th when it dipped to 35. As far as 40's in Summer, it's very common. My average low at the peak of Summer is 53 degrees. Last July I had 8 nights in 40's (the coolest being a 42 on July 1st and 43 on the 15th), the same number of 40's in August and even 36 August 27th when I had a patchy frost (the pic). So I was frost free for 67 days. July and August of 2014 both had 13 nights in the 40's (the lowest being 43). And.... July 2nd 2013 had a low of 38.

Hard to grow a Garden at my location. Leaves begin changing in ernest around the 3rd week of August and peak the last week of September usually. Pretty fascinating climate to live in.

DSC00871.JPG

I always thought we had a short time here with full, green foliage (4.5 months or so) but when you think about it...you have about 3 months!

Last year I had 1" of snow on May 19th, and my last freeze was on June 1st at 29 degrees.  The last frost was June 19th when it dipped to 35.  As far as 40's in Summer, it's very common.  My average low at the peak of Summer is 53 degrees.  Last July I had 8 nights in 40's (the coolest being a 42 on July 1st and 43 on the 15th), the same number of 40's in August as well and even 36 August 27th when I had a patchy frost (the pic).  So I was frost free for 67 days.  July and August of 2014 both had 13 nights in the 40's (the lowest being 43). And.... July 2nd 2013 had a low of 38.

Hard to grow a Garden at my location.  Leaves begin changing in ernest around the 3rd week of August and peak the last week of September usually.  Pretty fascinating climate to live in.

attachicon.gifDSC00871.JPG

Speaking of cool July lows. I've seen low in the high 30s in early June and lower 40s in early July. Usually most lows in July and August are above 50° but not always.

I'm getting a little bored with the cool/cold stratiform rain.  Here we are in mid May and we still can't get any instability.  We've had plenty of warm, sunny days this spring, but nearly all of them have come with dry air.  When the moist systems move in, the warm, unstable air gets shunted well south and we get stuck with thick clouds, a cool east wind, and showers.

Really low ceiling and dark overcast today with the rain. Still haven't put away my light winter jacket yet.

Just looked at the 12Z GFS. It's showing a rain, snow mix through eastern WI and the top 2/3rd of MI on early Sunday/late Saturday!

Really low ceiling and dark overcast today with the rain. Still haven't put away my light winter jacket yet.

Just looked at the 12Z GFS. It's showing a rain, snow mix through eastern WI and the top 2/3rd of MI on early Sunday/late Saturday!

Don't start that again - I'm just point out how cold this air mass is coming in. It's a complaint, hence its in the complaint and banter thread.

I'm not the first one to mention this, Bo and Stebo also talked about it.

Now the EURO shows the snow confined to Bo's area, so GFS may be too cold.

I wouldn't go planting any annuals just yet...

attachicon.gifDSC00871.JPG

That is crazy. I can think of some years where in the city of Detroit where I grew up, we could go from mid-April into mid-November without a legitimate frost... Some 200+ days. Obviously that was out of the ordinary, but 67 days... wow. I would imagine you could grow a lot of cool alpine plants up there that normally would only survive out west at the chilly temps of very high altitudes, though. Plants that would get roasted in the summer down here.

Don't start that again - I'm just point out how cold this air mass is coming in. It's a complaint, hence its in the complaint and banter thread.

I'm not the first one to mention this, Bo and Stebo also talked about it.

Now the EURO shows the snow confined to Bo's area, so GFS may be too cold.

I wouldn't go planting any annuals just yet...

I complained about it more or less because I was hoping for nice weather through Friday up here.

Seriously Geos? Not even trying to hide your cold bias and enjoyment of winter in May. It's not like the precip is heavy, like 0.1" with the disturbance at most.

Cold bias or not, he was only mentioning what a model run showed... in a banter thread no less!  And if he likes cold weather, so what...why should he have hide that? And why does it bother you so much? He isn't clogging up main threads with incessant winter discussion. Again, it was in a banter thread. Skip over his posts or ignore him!

Geos is a great poster and has a lot of knowledge especially in re: to winter weather.  I have no problem with you personally, but it's pissy, whiny posters like you that usually end up chasing off valuable people.

For Bo it is realistic, but for E Wisconsin it is a longshot. Why you'd complain about a longshot scenario is what I don't understand.

Yes a long shot. My point was more towards the fact that the weekend doesn't look like typical mid May wx!

This -NAO business needs to end.

Although I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of better severe prospects this far northeast, it's going to be cold this weekend regardless so I'm definitely rooting on the prospects of some wet flakes or graupel mixing in with any of the lake effect showers here Sunday morning.

Kinda tired of being too far north or having bad timing for severe chances. Oh well.

this spring has had a 2010 vibe to it locally and the number back that as well, we all know how that June went and the CFS is showing very active period ahead. Timing of course is always the wild card.

this spring has had a 2010 vibe to it locally and the number back that as well, we all know how that June went and the CFS is showing very active period ahead. Timing of course is always the wild card.

Will never forget June 6 and intercepting that EF4 tornado east of Toledo. I knew there was one there but when I saw it through the Lightning and realized I was on a violent wedge I was purely awestruck.

Late May-Early June really is our prime time honestly, that's when the real summertime heat begins to move into the region and we get that perfect combo of systems and instability

Despite what some believe, if you go by climo, we typically don't see much severe weather action this far NE anyway so early in the season.

Now come early July and we still haven't seen any action, then it will be a concern.

Will never forget June 6 and intercepting that EF4 tornado east of Toledo. I knew there was one there but when I saw it through the Lightning and realized I was on a violent wedge I was purely awestruck.

Late May-Early June really is our prime time honestly, that's when the real summertime heat begins to move into the region and we get that perfect combo of systems and instability

See above post. Prime time traditionally is actually late June / early July...

148.png

183.png204.png

The latest cfs spc chiclet run from today is pretty insane tbh. Never seen such high values day after day.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/CFS_Dashboard/

For some unknown reason, the plots changed all of a sudden this evening and now have much more muted values. Even previous days that were lit up with high SCP % are now more muted as well.

Archived