• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2016 Spring/Summer Banter, Complaint, Whining Thread

The 5 years I like going into summer in order are:

The reason I list 2010 last is because I don't think it will be nearly as hot as 2010 though I could see a pattern like 2010 evolve for this summer. What all 5 of these summers did have was very warm August. With July being above normal as well. June was more of a toss up though warm by the latter 10 days of the month. The reason why I am shying away from 1988 as an analog is that it was a multi year Nino and had a severe drought that help modulate the pattern going into that summer. This spring hasn't had a plains drought to modulate the pattern going into the summer.

A large number of these years had a major fall system with severe weather as well and the springs afterwards were all very intense severe weather seasons. Just something to look forward to into Fall and next year.

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember the summer of 2007 here was really wet. August was the wettest of any month I've experienced with nearly 14" of rain. Local rivers broke flood stage numerous times that summer.

1998 I remember was fairly warm/hot for a good deal of the time. Other than that I don't remember much about it.

I thought 1998 was fairly close to average if I remember correctly. I think you may be thinking of '99, because at least locally it was like 2010 except even more heavy duty heat/humidity.

You're probably right. That's a bit far back in my memory to remember that well. :lol:

The 5 years I like going into summer in order are:

The reason I list 2010 last is because I don't think it will be nearly as hot as 2010 though I could see a pattern like 2010 evolve for this summer. What all 5 of these summers did have was very warm August. With July being above normal as well. June was more of a toss up though warm by the latter 10 days of the month. The reason why I am shying away from 1988 as an analog is that it was a multi year Nino and had a severe drought that help modulate the pattern going into that summer. This spring hasn't had a plains drought to modulate the pattern going into the summer.

A large number of these years had a major fall system with severe weather as well and the springs afterwards were all very intense severe weather seasons. Just something to look forward to into Fall and next year.

I sure hope you're right about the fall/next year. This year has been a whole lot of absolutely nothing. 

Hopefully the last 2/3 of June bring some interesting weather to track.  Been pretty boring for several weeks now in our sub, and the first part of June looks awful for anything interesting.  Pretty annoying to see the Plains get days and days of severe weather, while our region gets jack squat from that trough when it finally kicked out.  On top of that we get 6-10 days more of benign weather before whatever else upstream evolves.  

I've definitely been enjoying the weather lately in a non-enthusiast way, as it's been a pretty nice stretch to be outside for various activities, etc.  From a weather enthusiast's perspective though this has been a long stretch of benign weather.  

Hopefully things perk up after June 10th or so.

Hopefully the last 2/3 of June bring some interesting weather to track.  Been pretty boring for several weeks now in our sub, and the first part of June looks awful for anything interesting.  Pretty annoying to see the Plains get days and days of severe weather, while our region gets jack squat from that trough when it finally kicked out.  On top of that we get 6-10 days more of benign weather before whatever else upstream evolves.  

I've definitely been enjoying the weather lately in a non-enthusiast way, as it's been a pretty nice stretch to be outside for various activities, etc.  From a weather enthusiast's perspective though this has been a long stretch of benign weather.  

Hopefully things perk up after June 10th or so.

Been watching that June 10 and beyond timeframe.  Still looking like the pattern could hold some potential.

Don't hold your breath.

haha...I really do think we will have some chances as the pattern starts to shift and we lose the western ridge.  Of course it's not possible to get into details at this point and there's always the possibility of things going wrong to mitigate any given setup.

Decided to have a quick browse on the weather subreddit and I actually found an interesting video from a storm in Melissa TX and it displays some sort of click right before lightning stuck close by. I presume its some sort of streamer from the ground that didn't quite connect with the lightning, but I'm still not sure. Regardless, this man was extremely lucky that he wasn't stuck by lightning.

https://youtu.be/mLmL9GOYwwE?t=33s (still cant figure out how to insert videos  :axe: )

Winter

Been getting tons of warm weather and storms

I'd be happy with a single day of drenching rain... beyond that, I'd rather it be dry.

I'm glad the 80's look to go on a hiatus after tomorrow for awhile. Anything about 80 is AC office worker weather, not what I do.

I'd be happy with a single day of drenching rain... beyond that, I'd rather it be dry.

I'm glad the 80's look to go on a hiatus after tomorrow for awhile. Anything about 80 is AC office worker weather, not what I do.

Yeah I don't post much in summer aside from the Tornadic outbreaks in their specific regions. Give me 80-85 and sunny everyday from May-September and I'm a happy camper. If there is going to be storms, give them to me at night.

What was worse... Winter 2015-2016 or Severe 2016?

I guess severe...but it's hard to compare the two, as severe is hit and miss to begin with and winter is a long season with lots of expectations lol. That said, a largely forgettable winter (which we were overdue for) still dropped 35 inches of snow. Severe wise, I have barely heard any thunder let alone have anything close to resembling a strong thunderstorm. It has been years since I've seen a true severe thunderstorm.

I guess severe...but it's hard to compare the two, as severe is hit and miss to begin with and winter is a long season with lots of expectations lol. That said, a largely forgettable winter (which we were overdue for) still dropped 35 inches of snow. Severe wise, I have barely heard any thunder let alone have anything close to resembling a strong thunderstorm. It has been years since I've seen a true severe thunderstorm.

To be fair, severe weather fans should maintain the same patience for this season that you insists they maintain in the winter.

We're still several weeks away from the climatological peak of severe weather season, and August lately has been the most active month. So IMO, everyone needs to just sit tight. If by late July things still look dire, then b**ch away. 

To be fair, severe weather fans should maintain the same patience for this season that you insists they maintain in the winter.

We're still several weeks away from the climatological peak of severe weather season, and August lately has been the most active month. So IMO, everyone needs to just sit tight. If by late July things still look dire, then b**ch away. 

This.

To steal a line from the weenies from last winter, "Late June is gonna rock".

more soaking rains this morning in the city

been such a wet stretch

I looked at a 10 day precip history map and it has been a total different story 10 miles south of the city. My area has been the driest in the Midwest.... Thankfully I have sprinklers, although that cost me some money.

spi.gif

I do agree...but as I said...severe is different because it's more hit and miss. I'm a major snowstorm, everyone gets snow, just some get more. You can have an historic severe outbreak and someone in the area may not see a drop of rain.

I looked at a 10 day precip history map and it has been a total different story 10 miles south of the city. My area has been the driest in the Midwest.... Thankfully I have sprinklers, although that cost me some money.

spi.gif

Yeah, couple of years ago, City of Marshall raised their water rates quite a bit. I won't do the sprinkler any more. My lawn can go the way of 2012 if it has to. Tried to keep up with it back then but just couldn't. Now I wouldn't even try due to the increase. No need really, my grass came back fine as it usually does. We had good rain last weekend, but have joined you SEMI peeps with the dryness this week.

Archived