joxey
2016 Spring/Summer Banter, Complaint, Whining Thread

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

July 2016- 3rd wettest on record

Aug 2016-  record

Sept 2016-  very dry the first week about to change

CHAMPAIGN – Illinois saw almost twice the average rainfall last month, making it the wettest August on record.

Illinois State Climatologist Jim Angel said Friday that the statewide average rainfall for August was 6.89 inches. That’s 3.30 inches above normal.

The previous record was in August 1977, when Illinois saw an average rainfall of 6.86 inches.

Sterling, in northwestern Illinois, saw the highest rainfall in August, with 14.01 inches. The two-month total for July and August was highest in Downers Grove, which recorded 22.93 inches of rain.

Angel said the statewide average temperature also was above normal in August, at 75.9 degrees.

It tied with 1943 as the 15th warmest August on record.

8 hours ago, hawkeye_wx said:

A bunch of biting gnats have suddenly moved in today.

The skeeters have been pretty feisty around here the past 3 weeks or so.  Weird thing is it had been extremely wet all summer, but it wasn't until recently that the mosquitoes went ape****.  Was out shooting lightning (which ended up being a waste of time) a few weeks ago, and had pretty much marinated myself in Deep Woods Off.  The bastards still literally tried to suck the life blood out of me that night lol.  Luckily the first freeze is probably less than a month away.

8 hours ago, KRFD said:

Strange, it has been exactly the same here (Rockford area).  Everybody has been talking about the missing mosquitos this year, then around mid-August it was like somebody flipped a switch, there they were, as bad as ever.  Given you saying the same thing, it must have been a real phenomenon.  So much we still don't understand about our ecology.  

Hmm, yeah that is interesting.  

28 minutes ago, Jonger said:

I ran the GFS and saw that warmth on 2m anomaly... then I ran the 2m temps and it's only 80F. I can handle that. Next Friday.

Yeah I don't see 90 on the models, at least not yet. The Euro does have us near 85 a couple of days though which should be around 12 above normal by that point.

Archived