joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Last Hurrah for Winter? Late Winter/Early Spring Banter

dmillz25

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the 12z GFS breaks down the WAR completely by day ten which pushes up ridging over the PAC NW, however it's short lived as yet another ULL comes into the West Coast knocking down any ridging. End result is going to be more above average temps and more rain in the West.

The GGEM maintains the SE ridge through day ten with a long wave trough digging into the SW US and pieces of energy sliding along the boundary.

Not only that but soon we will have the equivalent of a September sun

You can't really use that here though. It does snow in late March and early April sometimes and it doesn't in September. But just to be clear, I don't see that happening here.

At this point I would take anything other than what we currently have which is boring. While the unseasonably warm temps are nice, they don't really do much good when you're stuck working in an office all day.

Secondly, it actually feels humid today and most places don't have air condition running yet.

That's fine by me honestly. I'm getting married on 8/6 and I have a lot of outdoor things planned before.

that would be ironic if you had a flood on your wedding day....I got married during the super wet summer of 2000.   Luckily we had one of the few nice days....cold front went through with a line of T-storms about 10pm the night before and we had a sunny day with temps around 80 and low humidity. Heard that it rained almost every day we were on our honeymoon including one day with a stalled front and tropical flow which dumped something like 5 inches of rain

Why? You seem to love flooding thunderstorms. .only fitting you get severe that day

Because flooding thunderstorms don't mix with outdoor pictures and wedding dresses. 

We leave the Monday morning after for our honeymoon. 6AM flight out of JFK to LAX, then an hour layover before a flight to Maui. I'm sure we'll end up flying into some massive decaying MCS over the plains that will rock the plane something awful, but that's just my luck.

While I'm gone for the two weeks, you can guarantee at least two major weather events to occur here. Not that I'll be caring about it all that much considering where I will be.

Because flooding thunderstorms don't mix with outdoor pictures and wedding dresses. 

We leave the Monday morning after for our honeymoon. 6AM flight out of JFK to LAX, then an hour layover before a flight to Maui. I'm sure we'll end up flying into some massive decaying MCS over the plains that will rock the plane something awful, but that's just my luck.

While I'm gone for the two weeks, you can guarantee at least two major weather events to occur here. Not that I'll be caring about it all that much considering where I will be.

we'll have an August '11 type setup for those 2 weeks...

My wife and I went out to Hawaii for our honeymoon in August 2014. Right after Iselle and it was still up in the air if Julio was going to have an impact. That was really nerve wrecking. Super rare though. You Probably won't have issues. West coast of Maui is usually bone dry too if that's where you are headed. Check out the Molokini crater for snorkeling. Was one of the coolest things we did while we were on Maui.

that would be ironic if you had a flood on your wedding day....I got married during the super wet summer of 2000. Luckily we had one of the few nice days....cold front went through with a line of T-storms about 10pm the night before and we had a sunny day with temps around 80 and low humidity. Heard that it rained almost every day we were on our honeymoon including one day with a stalled front and tropical flow which dumped something like 5 inches of rain

On My wedding we had over 7 inches of rain . What a disaster

that would be ironic if you had a flood on your wedding day....I got married during the super wet summer of 2000. Luckily we had one of the few nice days....cold front went through with a line of T-storms about 10pm the night before and we had a sunny day with temps around 80 and low humidity. Heard that it rained almost every day we were on our honeymoon including one day with a stalled front and tropical flow which dumped something like 5 inches of rain

July 2000 was the first June July or August to make the top 10 coldest list in NYC since I believe the 1940s. Of course July 2001 also made it the next year

2000 was one of the coolest summers on record in NYC...it had the coolest peak of any summer on record...the warmest 30 day period was 72.7...This tied 1888 for the coolest on record...the highest average 30 days is around 78.0 give or take a few tenths...If this warm pattern continues 2016 will make the top five hottest 30 day periods...

Hottest 30 day periods...
82.5 in 1980
81.9 in 1876
81.9 in 1999
81.8 in 2005
81.8 in 2010
81.7 in 2013
81.6 in 1955
81.2 in 1993
81.1 in 1995
81.1 in 1988
81.0 in 1966
81.0 in 2011
80.9 in 1983
Coolest...
72.7 in 2000
74.4 in 1992
74.8 in 2004
74.9 in 1996
75.0 in 1960
75.0 in 1950
75.1 in 1956
75.5 in 1945
75.6 in 1962
75.7 in 1965

2000 was one of the coolest summers on record in NYC...it had the coolest peak of any summer on record...the warmest 30 day period was 72.7...This tied 

It was almost like a grand finale of cool before the warm summers started running the table. LGA  has only

had 3 below normal temperature summers out of 15. 

It was almost like a grand finale of cool before the warm summers started running the table. LGA  has only

had 3 below normal temperature summers out of 15. 

attachicon.gifScreen shot 2016-03-07 at 7.21.34 AM 08-12-58-409.png

attachicon.gifScreen shot 2016-03-07 at 7.22.47 AM 08-13-02-612.png

2000, 2004, 2009 were very cool summers in NYC...2009 got warm in August and did have a heat wave...

2000, 2004, 2009 were very cool summers in NYC...2009 got warm in August and did have a heat wave...

Cool summers have become as rare as below normal snowfall winters since 2000-2001.There were only 

4 winters with below normal snowfall since then.

This has probably been the greatest era for winter snow combined with summer heat since the last ice age ended.

Cool summers have become as rare as below normal snowfall winters since 2000-2001.There were only

4 winters with below normal snowfall since then.

This has probably been the greatest era for winter snow combined with summer heat since the last ice age ended.

I'm sure the last interglacial was sick as temps were higher then the current. I feel a blazingly humid summer incoming with such a high baseline for SST. Should be a good thunderstorm season for the coast

Archived