joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Last Hurrah for Winter? Late Winter/Early Spring Banter

dmillz25

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's impressive how large the wild parrot population is getting here in SW Suffolk.

They have giant nests on the light poles along 27A right next to power transformers.

I see and hear them daily as the noisy flocks forage around my area for food.

People actually started a blog on them since the flocks are growing so large.

https://wildparrotsny.wordpress.com/tag/long-island/

It's impressive how large the wild parrot population is getting here in SW Suffolk.

They have giant nests on the light poles along 27A right next to power transformers.

I see and hear them daily as the noisy flocks forage around my area for food.

People actually started a blog on them since the flocks are growing so large.

https://wildparrotsny.wordpress.com/tag/long-island/

There are over a hundred parrots in NE Queens and the Bronx.

Quite a sight seeing dozens land at once on my pear tree in my yard.

Everyone is used to them now and they're part of the local animal population.

I believe they originated from an airplane at LGA that had a leak and dozens got free. They've adapted very well over the years and have been spreading throughout the boroughs and LI.

They build massive home like nests on top of cell phone towers. In fact, I'm staring at a massive one as I type this by the Whitestone shopping center.

There are over a hundred parrots in NE Queens and the Bronx.

Quite a sight seeing dozens land at once on my pear tree in my yard.

Everyone is used to them now and they're part of the local animal population.

I believe they originated from an airplane at LGA that had a leak and dozens got free. They've adapted very well over the years and have been spreading throughout the boroughs and LI.

They build massive home like nests on top of cell phone towers. In fact, I'm staring at a massive one as I type this by the Whitestone shopping center.

These released or escaped species can do very well for themselves. The house sparrows and starlings which were released

in NYC during the 1800's are among our most common birds in this area now.

These released or escaped species can do very well for themselves. The house sparrows and starlings which were released

at the expense of so many native birds   

at the expense of so many native birds   

The house sparrows and starlings are really focused around dense population zones.

Habitat destruction is another major issue for native species.

The canada geese populations

that stopped migrating and set up shop year round is another problem here. I had to slow down

very quickly today when a family decided to cross 27A near Babylon. 

Starlings have been nesting in my gutters for a long time now. Very intelligent birds.

Starlings have been nesting in my gutters for a long time now. Very intelligent birds.

My favorite local sighting so far is the Snowy Owl. I saw one on the roof of the old Malibu night club in Lido.

But I have seen them more regularly at the Jones Beach West End.

This is what our model came up with today for the upcoming winter storm. Hope it's right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the added touch of the algorithms employed to make the lines look like they were hand-drawn in MS Paint.

Hey, you wouldn't happen to be using Tapatalk on an iPhone, would you?

I like the added touch of the algorithms employed to make the lines look like they were hand-drawn in MS Paint.

Hey, you wouldn't happen to be using Tapatalk on an iPhone, would you?

The added detail of the MAM makes it that much better then the other models.

The house sparrows and starlings are really focused around dense population zones.

Habitat destruction is another major issue for native species.

The canada geese populations

that stopped migrating and set up shop year round is another problem here. I had to slow down

very quickly today when a family decided to cross 27A near Babylon. 

Depends on what you're driving whether you have to slow down or not :whistle:   Those things have become such a huge nuisance and the depth of the mess they leave behind is impressive.

Depends on what you're driving whether you have to slow down or not :whistle:   Those things have become such a huge nuisance and the depth of the mess they leave behind is impressive.

The best success in keeping them and their prolific droppings off lawns and walkways seems to be the Border Collie

chaser dogs. The nitrogen content in the local bays is already high enough without their added input. ;)

Archived