Newest Member
    joxey
The Last Hurrah for Winter? Late Winter/Early Spring Banter

dmillz25

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Pamela

This has probably been the greatest era for winter snow combined with summer heat since the last ice age ended.

That is quite the inference...with about less than 1% of the period having reliable live observations on file to substantiate it.

Guest Pamela

I'm sure the last interglacial was sick as temps were higher then the current. I feel a blazingly humid summer incoming with such a high baseline for SST. Should be a good thunderstorm season for the coast

You may well be right; but these things can change on a dime...

Guest Pamela

75 degrees. Only 30 degrees above the normal high for the day.

I really believe there should be grades lower than F for this winter..

It was an awful winter; but since the amount of snow that falls is still the most important element in the equation...the dreadful nature is mitigated significantly.  We've had 41.7" here...so I still have to give it a C...even though all other elements (cold, snow cover, having numerous snow events) all fall into the F or sub-F domain...

Guest Pamela

that would be ironic if you had a flood on your wedding day....I got married during the super wet summer of 2000.  

My husband and I were happy for 20 years...then we met...

Guest Pamela

I will issue a challenge for anyone to come up with a similar 15-16 year stretch during the current Holocene 

period of 11'500 years. We know the temps are the warmest of this epoch. So previous heavy snow periods

of the Holocene were colder. But it may very well have happened before this current interglacial.

That's hard to say...we know categorically that the Medieval Warm Period rivals this brief warm interlude that we are currently in the midst of.  Moreover, this region we are in (the anomalously snowy one) constitutes a few hundred square miles...less than .01% of the land surface of the globe...so we then move into the realm of cherry picking localized activity to sustain broad and infirm conclusions.  Lastly, this 2001 - 2015 period is far from as warm as one would imagine.  It *seems* warm because the last 10 months have been warm...and, since this is rather fresh in the mind of the readers, you seize upon it for utilitarian purposes (i.e. to give credence to your argument).  The plain truth is that the last 15 years generally saw a wholesale retreat from some of the warming that we witnessed in the 1970 - 2000 interlude...although the last 10 months *do* indeed show some definitive movement in the other direction...

Guest Pamela

Lastly, this 2001 - 2015 period is far from as warm as one would imagine.  It *seems* warm because the last 10 months have been warm...and, since this is rather fresh in the mind of the readers, you seize upon it for utilitarian purposes (i.e. to give credence to your argument).  The plain truth is that the last 15 years generally saw a wholesale retreat from some of the warming that we witnessed in the 1970 - 2000 interlude...although the last 10 months *do* indeed show some definitive movement in the other direction...

For example, from February 2013 to March 2015...a 25 month span...things were rather cold...and that is an interval 2.5 times longer than the current anomalously warm one that followed it.

Guest Pamela

I will issue a challenge for anyone to come up with a similar 15-16 year stretch during the current Holocene 

period of 11'500 years. We know the temps are the warmest of this epoch. So previous heavy snow periods

of the Holocene were colder. But it may very well have happened before this current interglacial

when the earth was in other interglacial warming periods.

Before the gauntlet can be throw down, there first must be something that warrants challenging...

Guest Pamela

of the Holocene were colder. But it may very well have happened before this current interglacial

This is probably the warmest period now of the last 2000 years. I guess that beyond that time is open to more speculation.

But it may not be much a stretch to suggest that this could possibly be the warmest of the Holocene period.

attachicon.gifMarcott.png

I believe I effectively deconstructed this line of reasoning several times in the past...though, as a busy woman...I am loathe to revisit it for the umpteenth time.  The readers can refer to the linked threads below for some of my insights on this matter...

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/42206-record-breaking-cold-january-3-4-7-8-discussion-observations/page-11#entry2616204

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/45681--/page-23

That's hard to say...we know categorically that the Medieval Warm Period rivals this brief warm interlude that we are currently in the midst of.  Moreover, this region we are in (the anomalously snowy one) constitutes a few hundred square miles...less than .01% of the land surface of the globe...so we then move into the realm of cherry picking localized activity to sustain broad and infirm conclusions.  Lastly, this 2001 - 2015 period is far from as warm as one would imagine.  It *seems* warm because the last 10 months have been warm...and, since this is rather fresh in the mind of the readers, you seize upon it for utilitarian purposes (i.e. to give credence to your argument).  The plain truth is that the last 15 years generally saw a wholesale retreat from some of the warming that we witnessed in the 1970 - 2000 interlude...although the last 10 months *do* indeed show some definitive movement in the other direction...

I bet that the people that inhabited places like Mesa Verde etc. would disagree with the current period being warmer than what they experienced.  That one eliminated an entire civilization, this has just been frustrating.

For Ant    

wind 23 to 30 mph, with gusts as high as 39 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 19 to 25 inches possible.
Tonight
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around -6. Windy, with a southwest wind 29 to 37 mph, with gusts as high as 48 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 14 to 20 inches possible.
Sunday
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 4. Breezy, with a south southeast wind 26 to 29 mph, with gusts as high as 40 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 25 to 31 inches possible.
Sunday Night
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around -6. Windy, with a west wind 46 to 50 mph, with gusts as high as 75 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 32 to 38 inches possible.
Monday
Snow. High near -1. Windy, with a west wind 34 to 43 mph, with gusts as high as 55 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 16 to 22 inches possible.
Monday Night
Snow showers. Low around -8. Windy. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 13 to 19 inches possible.

For Ant    

wind 23 to 30 mph, with gusts as high as 39 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 19 to 25 inches possible.

Tonight

Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around -6. Windy, with a southwest wind 29 to 37 mph, with gusts as high as 48 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 14 to 20 inches possible.

Sunday

Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 4. Breezy, with a south southeast wind 26 to 29 mph, with gusts as high as 40 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 25 to 31 inches possible.

Sunday Night

Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around -6. Windy, with a west wind 46 to 50 mph, with gusts as high as 75 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 32 to 38 inches possible.

Monday

Snow. High near -1. Windy, with a west wind 34 to 43 mph, with gusts as high as 55 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 16 to 22 inches possible.

Monday Night

Snow showers. Low around -8. Windy. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 13 to 19 inches possible.

good heavens where is this winter opus?

Guest Pamela

Though he is likely out conquering the world and no longer has time for this forum, I would very much like to see Nikolai unbanned. His writing had an enormous influence on me as he was most brilliant person to ever grace this board...

Hoping we can hold the +PDO to go along with whatever the ENSO decides to do next winter.

I am not a big fan of the -PDO/+EPO tag team that resulted in the only 4 dud winters since 2000-2001.

We need help from the +PDO/-EPO especially when the NAO and AO negative intervals have

become more transient since March 2013.

Only 4 dud winters since 2000-01 composite

500.png

sst.png

There are some very early signs that we may be going into another -PDO period. It's going to have to be watched closely this spring and summer to see if the North Pacific SST changes continue. A solid La Niña event looks like a very good bet right now

The PDO actually increased again this February. All previous winters with a January into February PDO this strong

held the +PDO into the next winter. But its hard to tell this early whether the pattern will continue to work.

The PDO was the strongest in 2015 since the 1980's and was one of the most positive years on record.

One thing that we can see right now is that the subsurface in the Pacific is cooling at a slower pace than we

saw at this point in 1998. So I am going to respect the spring forecast barrier and see how the ENSO evolves

during the summer into the fall.

PDO.png

Take a look at the latest anomaly map here: http://www.ospo.noaa.gov/data/sst/anomaly/2016/anomnight.3.10.2016.gif Note how cool the entire North Pacific and GOA is becoming. Also, you are starting to loose the warmth along the west coasts of the United States and Canada. If you loop it from back in late fall to the present, then you can really see the shifting anomalies. Very early in the game, but you can see the possible beginnings of a -PDO regime starting to show up now. Something to track over the next several months

Guest Pamela

There will be additional accumulations of snow in this area before summer inevitably rears its ugly head once and for all...

Archived