• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Last Hurrah for Winter? Late Winter/Early Spring Banter

dmillz25

No surprises here with a -10 SD 500 mb low stuck under a block with a ton of tropical moisture available.

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SHREVEPORT LA
816 AM CST WED MAR 09 2016

0815 AM HEAVY RAIN 7 SE BOSSIER CITY 32.45N 93.58W
03/09/2016 M14.44 INCH BOSSIER LA CO-OP OBSERVER
CO-OP OBSERVER REPORTS 14.44 INCHES IN TAYLORTOWN

03/09/2016 M10.77 INCH BIENVILLE LA TRAINED SPOTTER

TRAINED SPOTTER REPORTS 10.77 INCHES IN JAMESTOWN...

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No surprises here with a -9 SD 500 mb low stuck under a block with a ton of tropical moisture available.

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SHREVEPORT LA

816 AM CST WED MAR 09 2016

0815 AM HEAVY RAIN 7 SE BOSSIER CITY 32.45N 93.58W

03/09/2016 M14.44 INCH BOSSIER LA CO-OP OBSERVER

CO-OP OBSERVER REPORTS 14.44 INCHES IN TAYLORTOWN

03/09/2016 M10.77 INCH BIENVILLE LA TRAINED SPOTTER

TRAINED SPOTTER REPORTS 10.77 INCHES IN JAMESTOWN...

and this is not even close to being over.

75 degrees. Only 30 degrees above the normal high for the day.

I really believe there should be grades lower than F for this winter. Uncle W a B?? For this crap of a winter. The best weather historian I've ever come across, to say I'm disappointed would be putting it mildly. Another idol diminished in my eyes.

I really believe there should be grades lower than F for this winter. Uncle W a B?? For this crap of a winter. The best weather historian I've ever come across, to say I'm disappointed would be putting it mildly. Another idol diminished in my eyes.

Below F when there was a 30" blizzard? no way. For your area though probably 

Well let's not get carried away, lol. Seasonal grades are just for fun.

He had a 30" blizzard and a few more nickle and dime events. Anything below a B would be absurd.

We had more snow here this winter than every year from 78-79 to 92-93. It was a 40 inch winter for my area of Long Island. 

2013-2014 and especially 2014-2015 winters were very long.

But none of the storms in my area since 10-11were able to rival the blizzard this winter. And while the cold was more persistent, NYC

was only able to close the deal on below zero this winter. The 3 week period from late January into February

was among the best months of winter ever here. I think that Uncle has a list of the best 30 day or under

periods of winter in NYC.

But none of the storms in my area since 10-11were able to rival the blizzard this winter. And while the cold was more persistent, NYC

was only able to close the deal on below zero this winter. The 3 week period from late January into February

was among the best months of winter ever here. I think that Uncle has a list of the best 30 day or under

periods of winter in NYC.

Or this

Many don't seem to understand this.

Or this

I feel like an old timer pointing out how even this brief 3 week winter surpassed all the snowfall seasons from

78-79 to 92-93 when NYC had no 30" seasons and JFK no 40" seasons.

I feel like an old timer pointing out how even this brief 3 week winter surpassed all the snowfall seasons from

78-79 to 92-93 when NYC had no 30" seasons and JFK no 40" seasons.

No biggies those years...we had periods where we had the cold for a big storm, but the stars never aligned outside of Feb 83, Jan 87 etc

No biggies those years...we had periods where we had the cold for a big storm, but the stars never aligned outside of Feb 83, Jan 87 etc

For me that period will be remembered for just a few snowstorms. 

PD1 79

April 82  greatest late season blizzard and record cold that I have ever seen

February 83 snowstorm

1-22-87 surprise snowstorm

I missed out on the surprise 12/13/88 norlun that jackpotted Suffolk.

For me that period will be remembered for just a few snowstorms. 

PD1 79

April 82  greatest late season blizzard and record cold that I have ever seen

February 83 snowstorm

1-22-87 surprise snowstorm

I missed out on the surprise 12/13/88 norlun that jackpotted Suffolk.

why was 1/22/87 a surprise up here?  I was in SE PA and we had a foot of powder with thundersnow

why was 1/22/87 a surprise up here?  I was in SE PA and we had a foot of powder with thundersnow

It was supposed to change quickly to rain here after starting as snow. I knew the forecast was going to bust

when we had thundersnow and 1/4-1/8 mile in heavy snow just after noon when the forecast was for

rain. It took me almost 4 hours to drive from Garden City to Long Beach with frequent stops to clean

the snow off the windshield. That was usually a 30 minute drive as many streets were unplowed.

It was supposed to change quickly to rain here after starting as snow. I knew the forecast was going to bust

when we had thundersnow and 1/4-1/8 mile in heavy snow just after  noontime when the forecast was for

rain.

Maybe I can't remember if there was a call for a change to rain where I was, but I do remember forecasts of 8-12 morning of.  It was a Friday and we had a 2nd storm that we were on the northern fringe of the following Monay and got another 4 inches, so we had a great snowpack for once.   DC got hammered by both storms for a total of 25-30 inches...

He had a 30" blizzard and a few more nickle and dime events. Anything below a B would be absurd.

For the second warmest winter in 150 years? Sorry anything above a C- is absurd, take away the blizzard and it's an F and no one would even argue the point. So one event defines the 90-120 day period we call winter? Not in my book.

We had more snow here this winter than every year from 78-79 to 92-93. It was a 40 inch winter for my area of Long Island. 

Check the average temperatures those winters. None of them came close to the warmth of this winter. Again one event defines a winter, ridiculous, but that's just one mans opinion.

Archived