Newest Member
    joxey
The Last Hurrah for Winter? Late Winter/Early Spring Banter

dmillz25

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Pamela

I was a Ranger fan for many years; though at some point during the 1990's...I had a moment of epiphany...realizing that all the time I had invested in watching them..to the exclusion of all other endeavors...had caused me to effectively hock the key to the kingdom of heaven...

I feel considerable sorrow for those who were not alive to experience the NHL in the late 1970's through the early 90's. Never was hockey better.

The NHL was at its best from the end of the last Canadiens dynasty / absorption of the WHA, i.e. circa 1979 until about 1994. I'd say the game peaked in 1985 with Edmonton taking their second Cup and most teams scoring over 300 goals during the season.

The first warning sign that things were headed the wrong way was when a Jean Perron coached bunch of defensive forwards whose offense consisted of Mats Naslund earned a fluke Cup in '86 because an Oilers defenseman famously put the puck in his own net in a game 7 quarterfinal against the Flames.

Next season, teams started to copy the Habs, though Edmonton ultimately prevailed over Philly in the Final. The trade of Coffey, and then Gretzky, (due to financial constraints) dissolved the most entertaining (and possibly greatest) team of all time. Hockey was still good, though the focus was now on Lemieux in Pittsburgh as the Pens earned two Cups in the early 90's. However new teams were being added to the fold as dreaded expansion slowly began to dilute the available talent pool. The Rangers took the Cup in '94, playing reasonably entertaining but disciplined hockey under Keenan, a Bowman disciple. But when New Jersey took the trophy in '95 with a good team that played dump and chase and the trap, the beginning of the end was upon us. The fact that there are some teams out there today that cannot average 2.5 goals per game tells you all you need to know about a once great sport that has devolved into something far less than what it once was...          

I feel considerable sorrow for those who were not alive to experience the NHL in the late 1970's through the early 90's. Never was hockey better.

The NHL was at its best from the end of the last Canadiens dynasty / absorption of the WHA, i.e. circa 1979 until about 1994. I'd say the game peaked in 1985 with Edmonton taking their second Cup and most teams scoring over 300 goals during the season.

The first warning sign that things were headed the wrong way was when a Jean Perron coached bunch of defensive forwards whose offense consisted of Mats Naslund earned a fluke Cup in '86 because an Oilers defenseman famously put the puck in his own net in a game 7 quarterfinal against the Flames.

Next season, teams started to copy the Habs, though Edmonton ultimately prevailed over Philly in the Final. The trade of Coffey, and then Gretzky, (due to financial constraints) dissolved the most entertaining (and possibly greatest) team of all time. Hockey was still good, though the focus was now on Lemieux in Pittsburgh as the Pens earned two Cups in the early 90's. However new teams were being added to the fold as dreaded expansion slowly began to dilute the available talent pool. The Rangers took the Cup in '94, playing reasonably entertaining but disciplined hockey under Keenan, a Bowman disciple. But when New Jersey took the trophy in '95 with a good team that played dump and chase and the trap, the beginning of the end was upon us. The fact that there are some teams out there today that cannot average 2.5 goals per game tells you all you need to know about a once great sport that has devolved into something far less than what it once was...

A well written and spot on assessment.

As I was born in 1983 and grew up watching the Devils, I respectfully disagree with your analysis. There is something special about the obtaining the most career wins and most career shutouts. Just as offensive hockey is brilliant, stellar goaltending and defense is equally entertaining. I fully understand I'm in the minority here.

Snowy winters and warm summers have been the new standard here since 2000-2001.

Only 4 winters since then have featured below normal snowfall with all the rest at 

normal to above normal totals.

There were only 3 summers over this time frame when the temperatures averaged below

normal.

So from a seasonal forecasting standpoint, it hasn't payed to go with below normal

snowfall or cool summers here over the last 15-16 years.

.....no mention of the New York Islanders???..i was lucky enough to have season tickets during their heyday..a true dynasty.4 cups in a row.and a record that they own and will never be broken...winning 19 consecutive playoff series!! It ended with the "drive for five"(billy smith on the cover of SI in may 1984)..c'mon pam give credit where credit is due!!

Congrats on another great regular season lol

Says the guy who's team has won a single Stanley Cup in the last 75 years. Making it to the finals doesn't count if you can't get it done. Just ask the Buffalo Bills how well those four Super Bowl losses worked out for them.

Meanwhile in the last forty years, the Devils and Islanders have combined for 7 Cups.

#RangersSuck #Living94orever 

Quite the opposite sir. You were trolling everyone on here while it was snowing last week, whining that it was a non-event and that instead people should post about the water rises on the Ramapo River.

Fair enough...except for that others were minimizing the snow as well and yet I was the only person you felt the need to make it personal with. 

We all know that if the 1-2" had fallen in the interior while the coast either rained or saw nothing that this place would be filled with posters minimizing it.

Says the guy who's team has won a single Stanley Cup in the last 75 years. Making it to the finals doesn't count if you can't get it done. Just ask the Buffalo Bills how well those four Super Bowl losses worked out for them.

Meanwhile in the last forty years, the Devils and Islanders have combined for 7 Cups.

Ever see the 30 for 30 on those teams?  Well worth a watch.

Zomg my team hasnt won as many stanley cups. Sick burn dude. Hope the rain you root for cools me off. :P

Does it say don't put up your summer time avatar yet? Can't believe you of all people folded so early.

I shared the same disappointment in snow88. I always thought he was one of the true die hards out there. I share in his disdain of summer and his longing for winter to never end, or in the case of this season for it to begin. When I saw his summertime avatar go up at the end of February, it was like seeing Derek Jeter in a Red Sox uniform. "The Horror".

Does it say don't put up your summer time avatar yet? Can't believe you of all people folded so early.

I shared the same disappointment in snow88. I always thought he was one of the true die hards out there. I share in his disdain of summer and his longing for winter to never end, or in the case of this season for it to begin. When I saw his summertime avatar go up at the end of February, it was like seeing Derek Jeter in a Red Sox uniform. "The Horror".

Trying to use reverse psychology

I think dry and hot spring and summer.

Hope this isn't true. Boring.

What are you basing that on?

His weenie instinct

His weenie instinct

His weenie instinct

As I a get older, I root more and more for heat. I still want snow more then anything, but I do not want the cold anymore, unless it's in a snowy pattern like 2013 and 2014.

Love these temps. Hope they stay like this throughout Spring. 50s 60s and 70s are nice. Played an hour of paddleball at the park without sweating

It should feel pleasant through early May before the heat starts to turn up. I think we see 80s or even 90s in April though but humidity is low this time of year. We could be close to 80 Wed-Thurs of this week.

It should feel pleasant through early May before the heat starts to turn up. I think we see 80s or even 90s in April though but humidity is low this time of year. We could be close to 80 Wed-Thurs of this week.

Maybe by you. Coastal waters, while above normal are still way to cold. Unless we have blast furnace downslope wind

As I a get older, I root more and more for heat. I still want snow more then anything, but I do not want the cold anymore, unless it's in a snowy pattern like 2013 and 2014.

Much lower heating bills this winter compared to last. So far we are at 2910 heating degree days through March 6th vs 3968 

for last winter. You got a big bonus especially if you used nat gas. So home heating plus lower gasoline costs was a nice boost

to the wallet.

Much lower heating bills this winter compared to last. So far we are at 2910 heating degree days through March 6th vs 3968 

for last winter. You got a big bonus especially if you used nat gas. So home heating plus lower gasoline costs was a nice boost

to the wallet.

My Natural gas bill for this winter was about 50% of last year's.  Some of that has to do with super cheap gas compared to last year and also the HDD like you mention.  Feb alone was less than half of last year

Archived