• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
The Last Hurrah for Winter? Late Winter/Early Spring Banter

dmillz25

I don't have records for the astronomical winters...I know the last inch or more snow in April was 4" in 2003...2006 had an inch on Staten Island...it probably is one of these years...2001-02, 1997-98, 1998-90...

Interesting stats. Really hoping we get something in April. Thank you Uncle W.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I enjoyed this winter. Yeah, there weren't that many events, but I learned so much from tracking non-events and the Blizzard. This was the winter where I learned how to accurately read 500mb maps which has been extremely helpful.

Tuesday's storm reminds me a lot of an OTS storm we had in March of 2014. It absolutely bombed out off the coast and looked incredible on the visible satellite. I'm pretty sure it was a sub 960mb low 300 miles south of Nova Scotia. I'm certain we'll see that again here.

i posted this some place else but it actually belongs here:

This has been one of the best winters in years for me, i loved this winter. I was at the beach on Christmas, then we had one real solid storm, then some serious cold and now its over. No endless snow, no solid ice all over the place, no 15' snow mountains in parking lots, All winters should be like this. After a few awful years of Quebec style winters we got a freaking break. I cant be alone in saying... I LOVED THIS WINTER!

This has been one of the best winters in years for me, i loved this winter. I was at the beach on Christmas, then we had one real solid storm, then some serious cold and now its over. No endless snow, no solid ice all over the place, no 15' snow mountains in parking lots, All winters should be like this. After a few awful years of Quebec style winters we got a freaking break. I cant be alone in saying... I LOVED THIS WINTER!

Have to really dislike winter to love this past one. We did get a couple events of note, but three weeks is not a satisfying stretch for snow and cold lovers.

Quebec averages over 120" a year, so I wouldn't call the last few years Quebec like lol. Maybe cumulatively.

This winter at my station came in at tied for 3rd warmest with 1997-98...warmest was 2001-02 followed by 2011-12. It was a pretty wet winter with 13.28" of precip. which is my 4th wettest. Snowfall totaled 32.6". Records here date back to 1977. Of course the extreme warmth of Dec really brought up the winter's average temp...The January and February period was just the 13th warmest.

Rjay or BX - The mobile site tried to load a virus on my phone this afternoon.  It told me a virus had been installed on my battery and I should tap a button to load a virus scrubber from the google play store.  It looked legit too.  It took three tries before the phone would let me restart it.  Just thought somebody should know and I don't know who to report it to.

Rjay or BX - The mobile site tried to load a virus on my phone this afternoon. It told me a virus had been installed on my battery and I should tap a button to load a virus scrubber from the google play store. It looked legit too. It took three tries before the phone would let me restart it. Just thought somebody should know and I don't know who to report it to.

Thsts odd...ill PM scott.

Don't know if this was covered yet, but we shattered the record for warmest Dec-Feb on a national GWHDD basis.  

KNYC ended up 2.33 degrees warmer than normal for the month, the third straight month this has happened (Above normal temps).

KNYC ended the winter 5.85 degrees warmer than normal.  Not quite a record, I believe 01-02 was warmer than this year at 6.39 degrees above normal.

Guest Pamela

So the question beckons...what brings you to a weather board if active weather is something you have nothing but antipathy for?  I think I posed this question to you last April...but no reply was ever made.  As a general rule, most people who join weather boards do not enjoy San Diego type weather in perpetuity...I mean, the fact of the matter is that discussing 72 F and partly sunny day after day is not something that motivates the average weather fan.

So the question beckons...what brings you to a weather board if active weather is something you have nothing but antipathy for? I think I posed this question to you last April...but no reply was ever made. As a general rule, most people who join weather boards do not enjoy San Diego type weather in perpetuity...I mean, the fact of the matter is that discussing 72 F and partly sunny day after day is not something that motivates the average weather fan.

Some people just want 1 big storm and then a fast melt.

Guest Pamela

Some people just want 1 big storm and then a fast melt.

He didn't even indicate that.  He certainly is no less entitled than any other member to post his views; it just strikes me as odd.   Does a person join a club devoted to seismology hoping no earthquakes take place?  Does a person join an astronomy club and long for overcast nights?

He didn't even indicate that.  He certainly is no less entitled than any other member to post his views; it just strikes me as odd.   Does a person join a club devoted to seismology hoping no earthquakes take place?  Does a person join an astronomy club and long for overcast nights?

An indifferent Marcher with a differenf Drummer on a Field Of Dreams located in Hells Kitchen.

Guest Pamela

An indifferent Marcher with a differenf Drummer on a Field Of Dreams located in Hells Kitchen.

I think I was once Chief Cook there...

So the question beckons...what brings you to a weather board if active weather is something you have nothing but antipathy for?  I think I posed this question to you last April...but no reply was ever made.  As a general rule, most people who join weather boards do not enjoy San Diego type weather in perpetuity...I mean, the fact of the matter is that discussing 72 F and partly sunny day after day is not something that motivates the average weather fan.

I'm here because i like learning about and talking about weather. WINTER sucks and love HOT summer heat. Other than that i find valuable information here as how to plan my days and weeks, the real question is WHY ARE YOU HERE?

Guest Pamela

I'm here because i like learning about and talking about weather. WINTER sucks and love HOT summer heat. Other than that i find valuable information here as how to plan my days and weeks, the real question is WHY ARE YOU HERE?

To persuade mankind that everything He has been doing is wrong...

Hmmmm ....... The allure of the dark side.

You have found favor with me RC...and I forgeteth not...  :)

There was a major shortage of colder than normal air available for the Northern Hemisphere this winter.

I don't think anyone just looking at the winter mean temps below would think that NYC could have seen

first below zero since 1994 and heaviest single snow day ever.

attachicon.gifsurface.gif

The map they display is measured in K degrees too which I don't think many people realize. Where they show a plus 3 degree variation is actually 5.4 degrees F above normal. A ridiculously warm winter.

The map they display is measured in K degrees too which I don't think many people realize. Where they show a plus 3 degree variation is actually 5.4 degrees F above normal. A ridiculously warm winter.

Just goes to show that great blocking, if only for a short interval, can overcome warmth for heavy snow here.

This was just a much more extreme version of 05-06 where NYC had the record February snow after the very

mild January.

The 2000's have been defined by..Hurricane Sandy...record blocking..record warmth..record snowfall..record rainfall.

Archived