• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Last Hurrah for Winter? Late Winter/Early Spring Banter

dmillz25

My Natural gas bill for this winter was about 50% of last year's.  Some of that has to do with super cheap gas compared to last year and also the HDD like you mention.  Feb alone was less than half of last year

Yeah, the warmer temps in the winter help out the homeowner since heating costs so much more than cooling.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would that be a good thing and not allow next winter to become a moderate/strong La Niña? Weak La Niña is better for winters, correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In a general sense a weak nino or nina can be good here.   There are exceptions, 10-11 was a strong NINA and we got smoked for a 30-40 day period.   95-96 was a weak nina.....

Are they running 6z and 18z? Keep reading rumors of it but have not seen it officially.

They mention something about a 6z optional programme.

https://software.ecmwf.int/wiki/display/FCST/Implementation+of+IFS+cycle+41r2

1 March 2016

This is a final reminder that ECMWF's IFS will be upgraded to cycle 41r2 on Tuesday 8 March 2016.

The first operational run using the new cycle will be the 06 UTC analysis and forecast in the Boundary Conditions Optional Programme on 8 March followed by the 12 UTC main assimilation and forecast. The monthly forecast extension to the ensemble will be run with the new IFS cycle for the first time the following Thursday 10 March 2016.

This is a helpful forecast issue link.

https://software.ecmwf.int/wiki/display/FCST/Known+IFS+forecasting+issues

We can remember the unrealistically cold temperature forecasts for NYC last winter

when there was snow cover.

2. City temperatures too low Due to the urban heat island effect not being represented, screen temperatures in large urban areas, particularly cities, are commonly too low compared to observations. The problem can be accentuated in winter by snow cover.

Guest Pamela

Meanwhile in the last forty years, the Devils and Islanders have combined for 7 Cups.

In fairness, the 1979-80 through 1982-83 Islanders do rank as one of the greatest teams in the last 40 years; I would place them 3rd behind the 1983-84 through 1989-90 Oilers and the 1975-76 through 1978-79 Canadiens. They rank behind Montreal because the Habs had the Big Three on defense  (Savard, LaPointe, & Robinson)....while the Isles only had Potvin.  The Oilers are head & shoulders ahead of everyone...as a quintet of Gretzky, Coffey, Kurri, Messier, & Anderson (all in their prime!) will never be replicated.

The Devil teams that took the Cup are an entirely different matter.   When compared to the all the Cup winners from the late 1950's (greatest Canadien dynasty) to 1995....most objective observers would readily conclude the Devil Cup winners featured the most slender credentials of the bunch.

In fairness, the 1979-80 through 1982-83 Islanders do rank as one of the greatest teams in the last 40 years; I would place them 3rd behind the 1983-84 through 1989-90 Oilers and the 1975-76 through 1978-79 Canadiens. They rank behind Montreal because the Habs had the Big Three on defense (Savard, LaPointe, & Robinson)....while the Isles only had Potvin. The Oilers are head & shoulders ahead of everyone...as a quintet of Gretzky, Coffey, Kurri, Messier, & Anderson (all in their prime!) will never be replicated.

The Devil teams that took the Cup are an entirely different matter. When compared to the all the Cup winners from the late 1950's (greatest Canadien dynasty) to 1995....most objective observers would readily conclude the Devil Cup winners featured the most slender credentials of the bunch.

That's not true. We may not have had Mario Lemiuex on offense but we did have Scott Stevens and Scott Neidermayer on defense and enough offense to get it done, backed up by Martain Brodeur in goal. Those guys wouldn't all be hall of famers if they weren't that good.

That's not true. We may not have had Mario Lemiuex on offense but we did have Scott Stevens and Scott Neidermayer on defense and enough offense to get it done, backed up by Martain Brodeur in goal. Those guys wouldn't all be hall of famers if they weren't that good.

IMO, you just proved Pams point, well played.

IMO, you just proved Pams point, well played.

If Stevens, Brodeur and Niedermayer are considered slender talent then you're seriously not thinking objectively. Ten cups between the three of them.

In any event, the Devils teams shouldn't be minimized because they won on defense. In every sport except for basketball, defense wins championships. See SuperBowl 50 and many others. Somehow I doubt anyone is minimizing the SB50 Champ Denver Broncos or the fact that the Seahawks nearly pulled off back to back titles on defense.

In fairness, the 1979-80 through 1982-83 Islanders do rank as one of the greatest teams in the last 40 years; I would place them 3rd behind the 1983-84 through 1989-90 Oilers and the 1975-76 through 1978-79 Canadiens. They rank behind Montreal because the Habs had the Big Three on defense  (Savard, LaPointe, & Robinson)....while the Isles only had Potvin.  The Oilers are head & shoulders ahead of everyone...as a quintet of Gretzky, Coffey, Kurri, Messier, & Anderson (all in their prime!) will never be replicated.

The Devil teams that took the Cup are an entirely different matter.   When compared to the all the Cup winners from the late 1950's (greatest Canadien dynasty) to 1995....most objective observers would readily conclude the Devil Cup winners featured the most slender credentials of the bunch.

Are you ranking team's or players? The first two teams ahead of isles should of won more consecutive cups with those players 

(Don't blame steve smith)

Now we can watch dt switch his forecasts 4 times a day

I think that the new model has built in weekend rule snow correction for heavier amounts. ;)

http://libertystreeteconomics.newyorkfed.org/2016/03/hey-economist-how-well-do-we-weather-snowstorms.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+LibertyStreetEconomics+(Liberty+Street+Economics)#.Vt7SEShM4lI

If Stevens, Brodeur and Niedermayer are considered slender talent then you're seriously not thinking objectively. Ten cups between the three of them.

In any event, the Devils teams shouldn't be minimized because they won on defense. In every sport except for basketball, defense wins championships. See SuperBowl 50 and many others. Somehow I doubt anyone is minimizing the SB50 Champ Denver Broncos or the fact that the Seahawks nearly pulled off back to back titles on defense.

:facepalm:

I never said that, nor do I recall anyone else saying that.

The pattern was really sniffed out by the GEFS about two weeks ago which is pretty amazing.

I'm really hoping that the moisture ends up sinking South some as we get closer. Otherwise it's going to be pretty boring here.

Us in the ice cream industry would welcome a boring spring for a change. Been awhile

Archived