joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Last Hurrah for Winter? Late Winter/Early Spring Banter

dmillz25

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple of nickel and dime events in March 2013 and a little below normal temps

Wasted cold in March 2014 and only 0.1" at NYC

Most of March 2015 snowfall was over by the 5th

The cold in March 2014 and 2015 was less impressive than the warmth in 2010, 2012, and this month so far

Yeah 2014 had a ton of misses. Last year March wasn't bad, but like you said most of the snow was during the first week. I did get 3.9" on the 20th though which was nice, and by the time this storm arrived the ground was completely bare.

Yeah, last winter was 6 weeks of prime snowfall production in NYC from 1/23 to 3/5.

None of the storms could rival the blizzard in our 3 weeks of winter this year.

And all the persistent cold from January into March couldn't match Valentine's

day for going below zero this year.

Yep, last year was for the long duration Winter lovers. Lots of small snow events that added up, and of course the persistent cold. I got down to -5.0° last year which does beat this years lowest min. of -3.5°, but like you said, considering the warmth we had that's pretty close.

This Winter on the other hand was more for the people like me, who's favorite part of Winter is snow, but can go without frigid temps for months on end. If we can manage one more Spring storm, this Winter will be at least a B in my book.

I'm going to share two bits of wisdom that will help readers better understand how this universe works:

1/ Most opinions are rooted in subjectivity.

2/ Most subjectivity is rooted in an "it all depends on whose ox is gored"  or "how does this advance my agenda" mentality.

Understand this dynamic and you will find it a good deal easier to navigate through this dimension...

.... as the sun flees it's own darkness and casts shadows dissension.

This winter was the best in history for snow lovers that appreciated low heating bills. ;)

Just like the summer of 77 was great for heatwave fans that didn't want high AC bills

since the major heat was all packed into 10 days.

Unless you have National Grid, which jacks up one's bill for kicks and giggles.

Sent from my SM-G360T using Tapatalk

Guest Pamela

.... as the sun flees it's own darkness and casts shadows dissension.

So does this signify the winding down of a solar eclipse on the concrete level...while commenting on the inherent darkness in what the masses perceive as light...or goodness...and the associated costs therein...in the abstract?  And on the metaphorical one....symbolizing man's endless quest to escape from himself...and more importantly...his inescapable destiny?

Taylor:  A planet where apes evolved from men?  There's got to be an answer... 

Zaius:  Don't look for it Taylor.  You may not like what you find.

Zira:  What will he find out there Doctor?

Zaius: His destiny.

"There is a destiny that shapes our ends, rough hew them though we may"

____Hamlet, Act 5 Scene 2

00z Euro looking better. Maybe one last hoorah around the 20th-21st

Euro has shifted east along with the GFS. Not sure if it will continue to shift more east for the coasties but the interior has a chance of accumulating snow with this storm as of right now.

Why are you crying over a day 6 model run?

There seems to be strong consensus that Sunday morning will be cold and very wet. Of course it could change, and I hope it does, but I have to start preparing. Having trained for the race, it will be a very bitter pill to have that come on the heels of a warm and dry stretch.

Also, my wife will give me hell and tell me I shouldn't run it.

There seems to be strong consensus that Sunday morning will be cold and very wet. Of course it could change, and I hope it does, but I have to start preparing. Having trained for the race, it will be a very bitter pill to have that come on the heels of a warm and dry stretch.

Also, my wife will give me hell and tell me I shouldn't run it.

Hopefully, things will change and there will be less rain. Good luck with the run.

Archived